Wall Street Journal worldwide EV test.

So, does that mean if you purchase certain vehicle makes you expert driver?
What vehicle is that?
Why, dontchaknow, that would clearly be BMW :)

Edit: I simply wanted to add that Mustang, Camaro and Corvette ownership may result in "Cars n Coffee" crashes, due to a less than expert skillset.

So, does that mean if you purchase certain vehicle makes you expert driver?
What vehicle is that?
No, the comments about drivers apply to drivers of ALL vehicles. My comments were meant to express MY opinion that EVs solve no problems.

Why, dontchaknow, that would clearly be BMW :)

Edit: I simply wanted to add that Mustang, Camaro and Corvette ownership may result in "Cars n Coffee" crashes, due to a less than expert skillset.
Nah, trucks with TX license plates during snow in CO take absolute lead.

Many of the people complaining about EV's will be worm food long before they will no longer have the option to buy an ICE vehicle. I look forward to seeing what the future holds.

There is no question that the future holds great promise. Quality EV's are among those promises. If you watched the video on that link, you might come away with the thought that the Tesla worked best, with the most normal experience.

Let's be honest, the only one that did well in that entire test was the Tesla. Great charging network, adequate fast charging, acceptable performance.

All of the other manufacturers struggled. Some worse than others.

None of this will be fixed anytime soon. As EV's become ever more popular, the charging station issue will become ever worse.

Add in the huge jump in electric rates, with some areas seeing 70% increases, and,,,,
1) More charging stations and the evolution of charging stations to faster charging, means it will be a lesser and lesser issue. I forgot which car but there was talk about going 800V charging will let the car companies use less battery capacity per car and therefore lowering the cost.

2) Huge jump in electric rate alone means nothing when you didn't include there's an even bigger jump in gasoline. They are sort of correlated and if anything related to some solar / wind etc instability induced duck curve. If you have an increase in EV charging at night to dilute the effect of duck curve, it will make duck curve (due to AC and solar mismatch) being a lesser problem, not worse. Most people don't charge between 3pm-7pm in the evening, they charge at night and at work (between 10am-3pm). They are also the only real reason for anyone to store electricity and never release it back to the grid, and replace other energy sources (gasoline and diesel for transportation), rather than pumping them back into AC later on then going back to DC in many home appliances.

Given that the high 90% of accidents are caused, at least in part, by driver error, any self driving car would do the trick, right?
EVs and self driving vehicles are orthogonal.

I would love a plug in hybrid self driving vehicle (ideally I can order it to go pickup my kids after school and bring them home, without me paying a nanny to do so or take time off from work to drive them), but I probably wouldn't pay for an electric ultimate driving machine.

In my neck of the woods, condo and townhouse complexes are installing charging stations, due to demand. Local companies offer charging as a perk. If I had to go out to charge, I would not have an EV. One of the beauties of EV ownership is not going to gas stations.

And I am not so sure I like the idea of the public funding charging infrastructure. Tesla did it and continues to expand.

Sorry what is the reason WSJ is doing this review? Are you sure they aren't doing a smear campaign for pump and dump?

Last time I heard there was a journalist (not sure if it is WSJ but definitely not an auto magazine) doing a review on EV, I think it was Tesla, that intentionally run to empty then call a tow truck. The manufacturer pull the data log from the car and show the world that this journalist intentionlly drive in circle after the final warning to run it down to empty, for like 30 mins or more.

That journalist wasn't fired, the media never pull the article or apologize for this.
Remember this fake news. https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...with-gm/fe1d1da2-9939-4076-a7e2-8e625d7ddede/

1) I forgot which car but there was talk about going 800V charging will let the car companies use less battery capacity per car and therefore lowering the cost.

2) Huge jump in electric rate alone means nothing
1) It allows no such thing, nor does it affect charge rates of modestly sized battery packs. Note: Battery capacity is unchanged, despite the operational voltage chosen. Huge battery packs, such as might be found in a pickup or larger vehicle can take advantage of higher voltage to reduce charging wire size.
2) TX has a 70% increase in electrical cost. We have a 44% increase. Any way you slice it, that will be passed on to the charger costs. No question charging at home is cheaper. Guys like me are never home, so things like this matter. A LOT.

Not enough manufacturers followed Toyota and Honda to a lesser degree in Hybrid development as a bridge to EV. Doing so may have given everyone, including governments more time to establish clearer infrastructure plans instead of this current wild west atmosphere.

Agree. I think what Tesla has accomplished is pretty incredible but the infrastructure just isnt there and wont be for a while. Toyota really got caught off guard by Tesla, they have had the best hybrid tech since the start, and stuff like them R&Ding solid state batterys since the mid 2000s makes it seem pretty clear to me they were ahead on the curve on EV and had it in the very long term plan (IE consumer BEV circa 2030 or so when battery tech was at parity w/ gas) until Tesla came in and changed the game.

Japanese OEMs have a habit of starting domestically when planning and thinking about new tech then applying that to the global market(beneficial in some ways, hurts them in others), and EV isnt really ideal for Japan until battery tech makes leaps and bounds, while hybrid is absolutely perfect. Because Japan is resource poor people assume BEV is perfect for it, but it is easier to import foreign oil than to produce massive extra amount of electricity domestically especially with the complicated relationship with nuclear, as well as charging infrastructure complications from how the major metros electric infrastructure and space constraints pan out. So hybrid lets you not have to worry about electric energy increases/infrastructure, while also cutting dependence on foreign oil imports in half.

Japanese OEMs have a habit of starting domestically when planning and thinking about new tech then applying that to the global market(beneficial in some ways, hurts them in others), and EV isnt really ideal for Japan until battery tech makes leaps and bounds, while hybrid is absolutely perfect. Because Japan is resource poor people assume BEV is perfect for it, but it is easier to import foreign oil than to produce massive extra amount of electricity domestically especially with the complicated relationship with nuclear, as well as charging infrastructure complications from how the major metros electric infrastructure and space constraints pan out. So hybrid lets you not have to worry about electric energy increases/infrastructure, while also cutting dependence on foreign oil imports in half.

Japan is way ahead of the US in energy efficiency. They have been selling Kei cars for decades and those get excellent fuel economy. They also have energy efficient appliances, far more than here. Of course their train system is top notch as most people use those instead of driving. Some stations have millions of passengers each day passing through. Energy efficiency is something that is thought of in everything.

The people there also practice conservation since costs are high. You don’t see homes all lit up like here.

Japan is way ahead of the US in energy efficiency. They have been selling Kei cars for decades and those get excellent fuel economy. They also have energy efficient appliances, far more than here. Of course their train system is top notch as most people use those instead of driving. Some stations have millions of passengers each day passing through. Energy efficiency is something that is thought of in everything.

The people there also practice conservation since costs are high. You don’t see homes all lit up like here.

It is easy to take for granted basic things like energy and fuel when the country you live in has abundant resources. For countries like Japan, it is imperative to value these highly, especially when it reflects so obviously in stuff like your electric bill. I remember my grandfather scolding me for leaving my NES(or famicon as its called over there) on pause instead of turning it off when I was a kid playing at his house in Tokyo. There is also that mindset that is handed down from those that lived through WW2, my grandfather nearly starved to death as a child when things went south. The males in our family including his younger brothers are 5'7-6'0, he is 5'1 from malnutrition.

It is easy to take for granted basic things like energy and fuel when the country you live in has abundant resources.
i can tell you this is true for indivuduals, at least for me. I have always been tight with electricity use, for example I installed air conditioning but pretty much only used it when we had company. Now that I have solar, I can blare it all day if I want. I still kill all the lights, but I recognize the change in my habits.

Back