Wall Mounted Shop Vac - VacuMaid UV100

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Beam central vac system that was in my house when I bought it in 1994. The "power canister" is in my basement garage with 3 suction ports plumbed into the interior walls upstairs with a 30 foot hose and numerous attachments for floors, carpets, dusting brushes etc. It does an ok job on hard surfaces like hardwood or tile floors but falls way short on rugs and carpets. I think the long hose run cuts down on the suction power. We used it for a while but ended up buying a Kirby vacuum for the carpet and rugs and just swifter the hardwood and tile. The only place it is used now is in the garage for the garage floor or vacuuming off my work bench and the stairs going from the garage into the house. I bought a Ridgid shop vac which has much more suction power for vacuuming my vehicles. The new vac systems most likely have more power and suction and might do a great job as a utility vacuum system, but this is my experience with an old whole house unit.

Last edited:
Vacumaids are a decent system for a garage. They can be a bit pricey and are dry pickup only. For a decent Wet/Dry vac for the garage, I would recommend Shop Vac model 3942311 SKU. 857647 at Lowes or the Shop vac model 3942300 from amazon for about 110 bucks. Both are still made in the USA. At the shop I work at, we use one Dayton branded version of the 3942311 to clean chips off our Bridgeport back in the fabrication shop and hasn't given us any issues with cleaning oily or dry chips. "garagevac" brand vaccums run about 220 bucks and are dry use only.

I have one (15+ yrs old) and no complaints. Using it on 2 cars and occasionally the garage floor/ceiling and first floor of the house I've only changed the bag once.

Basic design is the same compared to the one you're looking at.

It was a gift and I don't have room for a wet/dry vac (small garage)

Last edited:
I can't find a decibel spec on either of those Shop Vacs like I can the VacuMaid, which looks to be very quiet. Given my lifelong experience with Shop Vacs, I'd have to ask a perspective buyer if the "wet" ability is worth the additional noise.

Originally Posted by HangFire
I can't find a decibel spec on either of those Shop Vacs like I can the VacuMaid, which looks to be very quiet. Given my lifelong experience with Shop Vacs, I'd have to ask a perspective buyer if the "wet" ability is worth the additional noise.

The noise is worth it to me when I have to suck up liquid spills or messes. Cleaning out water from the back of my convertible is a breeze with a shop vac. Plus if I am sweeping up near water, I don't have to worry about killing the vac if I sweep up some water accidentally. Also, I used one to keep my basement from flooding when I had a sump pump die on me until i could get the pump replaced.

Thanks for the feedback, I will look into the ShopVac options. My usage might be lower than I originally planned, so a less expensive unit with a strong warranty may make more financial sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back