Walked the dog, helped a neighbor with his MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by pezzy669
I agree with the poster above is show him about the topside suction method - just make sure is large enough for the massive sump (~8 some odd quarts on the M272, think its a little less with the Pentastar cousin M276). Only requires removing the front portion of the engine cover on the M272 to access the filter.

$100 for a dealer oil change - I would take that in a heartbeat! My local dealer was a "deal" around here for $129, sometime last year they jacked it up to $169 or $189.

Most MB dealers offer some kind of discount on their specials page and other MB dealers in the area will honor the discount at another MB dealer so you have to shop around and then ask your local MB dealer to match it. Also I don't bother with the topside method. It's a 10k oil change, I do it at about 8 or 9k, but that's not that often so my $25 oil change would go way up if I bought some kind of suction device. Plus a while ago when I changed the oil, I noticed a rip in the CV boot. You won't find that if you just suck the oil out the top every time.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by pezzy669
I agree with the poster above is show him about the topside suction method - just make sure is large enough for the massive sump (~8 some odd quarts on the M272, think its a little less with the Pentastar cousin M276). Only requires removing the front portion of the engine cover on the M272 to access the filter. $100 for a dealer oil change - I would take that in a heartbeat! My local dealer was a "deal" around here for $129, sometime last year they jacked it up to $169 or $189.
Most MB dealers offer some kind of discount on their specials page and other MB dealers in the area will honor the discount at another MB dealer so you have to shop around and then ask your local MB dealer to match it. Also I don't bother with the topside method. It's a 10k oil change, I do it at about 8 or 9k, but that's not that often so my $25 oil change would go way up if I bought some kind of suction device. Plus a while ago when I changed the oil, I noticed a rip in the CV boot. You won't find that if you just suck the oil out the top every time.
Color me not a fan of topside suction. I typically change my oil after a drive and I like the fact that all of the oil and potential contaminants run out of the bottom of the pan. In addition, as others have stated, it gives me a chance to inspect other portions of the car that I would not by suctioning from up top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back