Walk Behind String Trimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a buddy who is in the market for one of these. Looking at a Swisher model (one of the cheaper ones) for over $400. Has Swisher been diluted down to a "run of the mill" manufacturer? I'll point him to a much cheaper model if Swisher has sold out and isn't a premium brand anymore. How about the DR stuff? Is that just a good infomercial or are they any good? Does anyone have any suggestions in that price range or cheaper? I've already told him that a Husqvarna is pretty much like buying an MTD or Poulan from K Mart. Have I misled him?

Every DR I've rented has been decent. I don't own one or rent one out so I couldn't tell you about their maintenance issues. If price is that much of a concern, the Poulan Pro models with the OHV Briggs engines I'm sure would be a fine choice for an occasional user that doesn't use it often. If it isn't used much, a rental may be a better option though.

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
How about the DR stuff?

I've had a DR walk behind trimmer for about 10 years now. It gets a pretty fair amount of use each spring, summer and fall, and I've never had a single issue with it.

Just oil changes and a string replacement a couple times each season. It starts on the first pull every spring.

I had a DR with a two stroke Tecumseh and cast aluminum base. It was a beast.

Husqvarna has a pro line, but they also have Kmart [censored]. Find a dealer and get the real deal if husky.

Originally Posted By: PhilsSmallEngine
If it isn't used much, a rental may be a better option though.

This gentleman buys and maintains (family) community power equipment for himself and all his kids so it would be used quite a bit. Hate to steer him to junk. Sounds like the DR may be the way to go. Anyone know anything about the Swishers besides they're expensive?

Only thing I know about Swisher, is that i bought one of their 3 wheel riders (Big Mow brand) in 1972, and have been using it ever since. Of course if they are like most company's the old stuff is way better than the new stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back