Wal-Mart worker burns self to death in parking lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/02/wal-mart-worker-immolates-self-in-parking-lot.html

frown.gif

[...]The man "enjoyed his job and living in the 'burbs," his son said. "We were getting ready to redo the front lawn." He added that his father had no health problems.

"You try not to ask yourself the question [why he did it] because there's no answer," the son said. [...]

Talk about lack of emotional intelligence.

Lots of strangeness out there right now. People are stressed about a lot of things.

This is a weird one though. Plenty of other, better ways to go. At least he only took himself.

When someone is stressed to a point that anything can trigger a tantrum, the trigger is not the problem.

No matter how hard things were, suicide is not worth the cause and is his own decision, and cannot blame someone else for it.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
[...]The man "enjoyed his job and living in the 'burbs," his son said. "We were getting ready to redo the front lawn." He added that his father had no health problems.

"You try not to ask yourself the question [why he did it] because there's no answer," the son said. [...]

Talk about lack of emotional intelligence.

his own son didn't know what was wrong his own dad that he worked with..
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
frown.gif
They were out of PP? (lord I apologize for that right there)

yours is not as bad as the comments left on the linked page, those are ridiculous.
although I'm not a fan of WM, I would say this man's employment there was a small part of his problems.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
frown.gif
They were out of PP? (lord I apologize for that right there)

yours is not as bad as the comments left on the linked page, those are ridiculous.
although I'm not a fan of WM, I would say this man's employment there was a small part of his problems.
I know. It is sad when someone's life gets to that point, especially when his family didn't see anything coming. I couldn't help but poke a little fun at all of our obsession with Walmart and our favorite oils.
blush.gif

There are a few people that I wish would do this to themselves (child killers and the like), but for this guy, it's just tragic. Very sad for the family. I feel for them.

This is unreal. He was very fortunate to die so quickly from his injuries. At his age, full thickness burns approaching 50% of total body surface area have virtually no statistical survival rate. If they could have managed to save him, he would have endured torture beyond anyone's imagination. Infection usually renders the victim to a delusional state that I pray is one of unawareness.

I can understand the average John Q citizen not knowing what to do when encountering this situation ..and I have to debate if he would have been better served by saving him. If someone was right there, and could have managed to put him out before he burned too badly, then it might have worked out.

I watched my father die over 6 weeks with 60% full thickness burns. It's a sad thing to witness. All the while the machinery around him is photographing him and "doing all we can" ..to do nothing that we can alter in outcomes. I don't think Mengele could have come up with a more business as usual calmness in it all.

Quote:
The Carol Stream man, who worked the overnight shift....

There's your answer right there. I worked night shift for almost 3 years when I got my current job. I was just recently told I have to go back to night shift again. We laid some people off an have to "even things out".

I truly and honestly believe that night shift should be outlawed for all but essential services. If not outlawed, number of hours worked in a week and consecutive hours should be limited. In other words, no longer than 8 hours and no more than 4 days in a row.

Night shift does horrible things to you. You stop feeling like a human being after a while. About the time I got to go to day shift, I think I was starting to lose it. Anybody that has or does work nights can back me up on this. It's not healthy for you physically and especially mentally. Forcing your body is to do the exact opposite of what it's supposed to do is not good. I'm going to try and find another job as soon as I can.

I feel bad for the guy and his family. The things we do for money.

I worked midnight for about 30 years off and on. 5 of which were mostly by myself driving ..the last 15 years was like (I presume) missile silo duty.

After a while... I figured that I wasn't wrapped tight enough for a legit day shift job. There were some effects of the relative isolation, but the lack of supervision just made being conscious of the suits too annoying when they were around. I lost the ability to behave ..so to speak.

I didn't have any trouble with the sleep end of it as long as it was a straight midnight shift. If it varied, then it was murder.

Midnight shift isolates you from society. 2nd shift isolates you from family and friends.

I've never contemplated suicide by fire over it.

Gees, if you want to die, why pick such a horrible way to go? Only the DEEPLY disturbed can do something like that to themselves. Strange that nobody picked up on signs of depression.

Drowning would be a much more merciful way to go as would an abundance of other non-Spike TV "1000 ways to die".

I guess there needs to be some demonstrable suffering to depict the inner misery that the person is experiencing.

If you think about it, it's sorta a passive aggressive version of "going postal". You make others view your suicide without hurting them directly. It's a permanent Richard Nixon quote when he lost to Kennedy.

To life: You won't have [fill in name] to kick around anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back