Wal-Mart synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wal-mart in Canada sells a synthetic oil under their formula 2000 house brand name. Does anyone know anything about its quality, who makes it for them, etc. I have specific interest in using their 0W-30 grade year-round in a chipped VW 1.8T.
canada.gif

In the US the Walmart synthetic is made by Quaker State, but up here it's a mystery. It's under a different name here, it's Tech 2000, while down there it's Supertech.

The best thing to do is run it in your car for a while and send in a used oil sample for analysis to see how it goes. There was one person on here (Oz) who did that, but it was all highway driving and only a short 5000km interval so just about any oil out there would look good under that condition.

Interesting that they sell 0W30. Yesterday I just saw my first quart of 5W30 in St. Louis--before that only 10W30. Tech 2000 was used in the U.S. prior to 2000 when it became SuperTech. Assume it's the same PZ/QS subsidiary product. SuperTech/Tech2K oils all seem to have a fair amount of moly.

Is it advisable to vigorously shake these molybdenum-containing oils prior to pouring the contents into the engine, or are the particulates so finely dispersed and suspended that it's unnecesarry?

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
Is it advisable to vigorously shake these molybdenum-containing oils prior to pouring the contents into the engine, or are the particulates so finely dispersed and suspended that it's unnecesarry?

Unnecessary, they won't separate out.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

Unnecessary, they won't separate out.

We are not talking about a solid crystalline moly...we're talking about a compound of molybdenum that's soluble in oil. The oil is clear, no particles floating, sinking, or anywhere else.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back