wal-mart synthetic ??????????? anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any one have any info on 5w & 10w-30 tech2000 synthetic oil.....
is it really a syn , or is it just hydrocracked group 3 oil......

positives or nagatives please,,,
thanx
nik

It's Hydrocracked Group 3. Not worth the 20 dollars. If I were you I would try the Castrol Syntec that is labled in RED 0W-30 and it's 26 dollars for 4 bottles, and well worth it.

but the 5w and 10w are group 3's.....

is this correct, .....i have seen the 0w-30 in the red bottles,,,,,,how do you know they are from germany ??????? just curious

thanx

quote:

Originally posted by superman321:

is this correct, .....i have seen the 0w-30 in the red bottles,,,,,,how do you know they are from germany ?

Word is, if the oil itself is green, then its the good german stuff.

Fred...
smile.gif

[ April 22, 2003, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: palmerwmd ]

quote:

Originally posted by superman321:

is this correct, .....i have seen the 0w-30 in the red bottles,,,,,,how do you know they are from germany ??????? just curious

thanx

The back of the bottle says made in Germany, and lists a bunch of specs like BMW Longlife, MB229.3, ACEA A3, etc. If you then go to the German Castrol site, you'll see they only sell one 0w30 oil that meets those specs, it's Formula SLX. In the specs for this oil, it lists it as being green. It's their only green oil. I've put this Castrol 0w30 oil in my sister's car, and it is indeed green! Without a doubt it's the same stuff. I should have the first oil analysis results in June, the oil will have about 6-7k on it at the time. This oil has very impressive specs, an HTHS of 3.6, a pour point of -78F and it's on the very thick end of a 30wt, at 12.1cst at 100c. I just hope it has moly in it!
smile.gif

quote:

Green oil?? Maybe its Shaeffers or made in Ireland

Nice
lol.gif
...it might have beer in it too as a good anti-wear protector.
cheers.gif

[ April 22, 2003, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

FROM the Kendall web site about Green Oil - hope this helps!

"Where's the Green Dye?

We have discontinued use of the familiar green dye found in GT-1® High Performance and let the natural color of the motor oil proudly shine through. This allows us to highlight the significance of the improvements to the new product line. Previously, these oils were dyed to distinguish them from other competitive brands and even from other Kendall brands. In keeping with our commitment to excellence, the entire line will feature the patented SL Plus technology, which is designed to lower oil consumption and create superior oxidation resistance. Because the improved GT-1® line includes the new SL Plus technology, Kendall Motor Oil also thought it deserved a new look apart from the current GT-1®. However, we also want to drive home the significant changes that we've engineered into every bottle of GT-1® High Performance, and elimination of the dye allows us to set the new product apart from the original formulation. The new Kendall GT-1® High Performance is that different, and that outstanding. Remember, Kendall GT-1® High Performance Motor Oils have always been, and will continue to be, formulated to deliver performance well above the industry minimum performance levels required by the API Service Classifications. The differentiation of this product is in its exceptional performance, its heritage, and the name on the label, but no longer by the color in the bottle!"

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

Green oil?? Maybe its Shaeffers or made in Ireland

Nice
lol.gif
...it might have beer in it too as a good anti-wear protector.
cheers.gif

[ April 22, 2003, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: CJH ]

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
Patman, how long did it stay green once you ran the engine?

Just like Royal Purple, the color changed as soon as I ran the engine and checked the stick. Schaeffer Oil is also green but when you check the stick it looks like the normal oil color after too.

Hmmm... Interesting. Green is one of the primary spectral colors. Purple results form mixing the other two primary spectral colors: red and blue. So, if I combine the German Syntec 0W-30 with Royal Purple 5W-30 in equal ammounts, I guess I'd have a roughly 2.5W-30 black oil? Or would traditional Teutonic militancy clash with decadent royalty?
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back