Wal-Mart Super-Tech Full Synthetic 5W-30 data...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have it?

Who supplies the oil, and what are its specs?

I'm guessing its Pennzoil-Quaker State, but I'm interested to see how it fares to Pennzoil's and Quaker State's synthetic oils.

It's from Specialty Petroleum a Quaker State buy out blending plant. Johnny's spent some time describing the whole shebang in other posts. I've requested spec sheets on this from PZ/QS but received only the dino SJ sheets. I may request again. Someone did get an old sheet (couple of years old) from PZ/QS and posted it on Edmunds. I may have reposted here.

To my untrained eye, it looks like it's performing better in the vehicle than the spec. sheets would indicate.

I do use SuperTech dino and have had no troubles with it, although I haven't had it tested.

Come to think of it, I've never seen SuperTech 5W30. In the St. Louis area it's 10W30 only for the syn.
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
It's from Specialty Petroleum a Quaker State buy out blending plant. Johnny's spent some time describing the whole shebang in other posts. I've requested spec sheets on this from PZ/QS but received only the dino SJ sheets. I may request again. Someone did get an old sheet (couple of years old) from PZ/QS and posted it on Edmunds. I may have reposted here.

To my untrained eye, it looks like it's performing better in the vehicle than the spec. sheets would indicate.

I do use SuperTech dino and have had no troubles with it, although I haven't had it tested.

Weren't you planning on analyzing your next batch of oil at 4k?

This is FULL SYNTHETIC Super-Tech 5W-30, API SL ILSAC GF-3

NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH full synthetic Super-Tech 10W-30, API SJ/GF-2 which everyone has.

I have connections and managed to grab a case of this stuff and I'm running it in my 2000 Ford 4.6L SOHC V8

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:

csandste,

Don't take this the wrong way. How do you know the SuperTech dino is so good? This is coming from someone who just learned the value of analyzing recently.

Just because I don't hear bad things at startup or during acceleration doesn't mean excessive wear isn't occuring. My unscientific look into the valve cover was probably useless too. Near clear oil when draining? Maybe the oil is failing to suspend contaminants and is letting them form deposits.

When I did my first analysis, Terry Dyson alerted me to a head gasket leak.

Maybe I'm a worrier, but I can't say an oil is good until I analyze it.

Also, i was referring to full synthetic 5W-30 and not the full synthetic 10W-30 or the dino Super-Tech oils.. just FYI of course

I am not sure it's a synthetic, but rather a base oil of Group III oil.

If anyone has a MSDS sheet on it, we can determine that rather quickly.

Wal-Mart states that its made by Pennzoil-Quaker State.

I'm still waiting for a MSDS.

Its just marketed as a "Full Synthetic" oil

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:

So is Castrol Syntec, and we all know it's not a real synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:

So is Castrol Syntec, and we all know it's not a real synthetic.

I'm just saying IT'S MARKETED AS A FULL SYNTHETIC 5W-30. I'm not talking about the dino 5W-30, or the "full synthetic" 10W-30 SUpertech which people are assuming (the person that posted a link to an oil analysis of Super-Tech synth 10W-30)

They are different because the 10w-30 is only API SJ/GF2 the 5W-30 is SL/GF-3. Must be using different additives o rosmething, either that or Super-Tech has a newer 10W-30 formulation that hasn't hit the shelves yet.

Regardless its one of the least expensive Group IIIs around at $3/qt if its a Group III.

So far I've been hearing that both QS and Pennzoil use PAO base stocks with Group III additives, and then there are ppl that say QS and Pennzoil use Group III base stocks w/o showing any evidence to substantiate that claim.

QS's MSDS shows that it has a PAO base stock, however that might have been the older formulation since the QS Synth with the PAO base stock (1-decene ....) is only GF-2, while the QS Synth on the shelves are GF-3.

Edit by dragboat to remove obvious cuss word
nono.gif

[ September 18, 2002, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

metroplex: The Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Wal-Mart SuperTech synthetics (API SL GF3) are made from Group III base stocks.

The SuperTech is made by two different blenders. One is the old Quaker State blending plant in Shreveport Louisiana that use to belong to Speciality Oil, and the other is blended by Warren Oil somewhere in either Alabama or North Carolina.

The Group III base stock in the Pennzoil is refined by Pennzoil and the Group III base stocks in the Quaker State and SuperTech are bought on the open market. All of the products use a different additive package.

Hopes this helps to clear things up some.

Metroplex,so theres your answer to what you will be using after your supply of GF2 runs out if you choose to continue buying and using that brand that is.
3.00 per quart for a group III oil is not cheap when there are some group II's that will hang right with them or out do them with the current offerings that is. All you have to do for proof is go to the analysis section,the numbers tell the story.
IMO the major players are going to have to increase the performance of the group III's and or reduce the price.Right now they seem to only be marginally better than a good group II and there are HUGE differences in some of the available group II SL Dino oils with time proven trusted names.

Now as time goes by,performance of the group III's might increase,they will never be in my cars though until they produce a better product imo

I wish personally that FTC decision would be overturned. It leaves too much room to milk the unkowing comsumers imo,especially with the blends!

Interesting.

well I just wanted to see some info regarding what they use exactly as the base stock.

MolaKule commented that 1-decene... was a good PAO base stock.

Quaker STate's MSDS showed that it was the base stock for their synth oil.

Is 1-decene homopolymer, hydrogenated, PAO or Group III?

As for cost - I cannot find any less expensive Group III oils (syntec even in big 5 qt jugs are still around $18-19).

The Super-Tech Synth 5W-30 I used definitely did NOT smell like a petro engine oil, and it flowed a lot better than my normal Pennzoil PureBase 5W-30 - the bottle was totally empty within seconds of pouring it... the PureBase and other dino 5W-30s take a bit to empty out even in the Summer.

I'm waiting on the MSDS sheets before i pass judgement.

Pennzoil just lists "synthetic base stock" for their Pennzane, but QS actually listed hydrogenated 1-decene homopolymer... which MolaKule and others referred to as a good PAO base stock.
confused.gif

By petro smell, I meant that most dino oils have a strong odor...

Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobil, Quaker State, etc...

Pennzoil smells a bit like pop corn
quaker state smells like a stiff petro smell
Mobil smells like chicken grease almost

The Super-Tech had no odor.

Also, it said "contains synthetic lubricants" on the bottle - can cause skin problems - NOTE this is NOT the same warning on dino oil bottles where it says used engine oil can cause cancer in small woodland creatures that big petroleum tycoons like to use to test on (well it says prolong exposure to used motor oil can cause skin disorders) - the synthetic products I've purchased in the past:

Lubegard M-V supplement
Mobil 1 ATF
Mercon-v ATF
Valvoline and Pennzoil synthetic GL-5 gear lubes

all contained the same "contains synthetic lubricants. can cause skin disorders" - it did not refer to used oil, just synthetic lubricants. It might be referring to just the additives, but wouldn't a Group III dino oil present the same skin health hazards as Group I-II+ dino oils? why the message of death regarding synthetics?

It is probably because if Inorganic Esters containing Nitric Acid or Acetic Acid ect. Probably many nore but there are two.

I believe Johnny remarked one time that Pennzoil (and maybe QS) are using a small percentage of PAO to reduce pour point and increase the VI.

BTW, in our area at Wallyworld, the SuperTech Group III is $2.25 per quart in quarts, and slightly lower in jugs. If it pans out in the UOA's, it might be a good value for those wanting a GIII base oil.

"Don't take this the wrong way. How do you know the SuperTech dino is so good? This is coming from someone who just learned the value of analyzing recently."

I had discussed doing an oil analysis but let the last oil change get away from me. Maybe later. I've stated most of these reasons before but:

1. My assumption is that most SL oil is good enough to 4000 miles.
2. Although I've not been able to get an SL spec. sheet, the SJ spec. sheet looks pretty good. Not up there with Pennzoil, but as good as Quaker State or Mobil Drive Clean for example.
3. SuperTech has the advantage of coming out of a bottle for $11.94 a change. I don't want to risk changing my own oil on a warranty car.
4. Although rare, there have been reports here and elsewhere of scumbucket quick lube personnel who pull scams and buy low grade oils for next to nothing and keep the difference in $$$. I once worked with someone who used to take theatre popcorn boxes out of the trash, scraping off the gum since they were billed by the supplier for containers consumed and this allowed them to run a scam. Same thing here.
5. I've seen news reports about small time auto parts distributors who pushed counterfit name brand oil. At least no one's going to do that with SuperTech.
6. The idiot kid who screws up your car at Wal-Mart this week will be screwing up your car at Jiffy Lube next week and the dealer next year. Dealers don't use the sharpest tacks in the box to do oil changes.
offtopic.gif

I tried to edit the last post but was blocked. I should have been more clear in #4 above that I was writing about the dangers of bulk oil. Along with rust, old but non-counterfit crap in the bottom, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back