Wal-mart price change

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGR

Looks like nearly all the most expensive big name synthetics have been price reduced to $22.67 here locally in suburban Denver. All Mobil 1 synthetic flavors, and of interest to me is Pennzoil PPPP. PUP wasn't, but PPPP was.

Which means last night I collected top flight, low Noack PPPP for the net price of $0.84/qt (after FRN).

Will continue to collect at a higher rate then expected because of this. Now concentrating on 5w-20, but would collect 0w-20 and 5w-30 if that is all that is available.

Of note: some local walmarts have every single jug of PPPP, PUP, PU opened. Found a walmart 2 days ago where 4 of the caps were completely missing, people are just pulling the caps and running now, not even pretending to put them back. Competition is getting fierce out there, I expect armed guards soon.

What's this about the missing caps? I saw it mentioned on an older thread, but I never saw mention of what was going on.

Are people going into Wal-Marts and swiping the oil? Pouring it into a container and taking off with it or something?

Originally Posted By: Smcatub
What's this about the missing caps? I saw it mentioned on an older thread, but I never saw mention of what was going on.

Are people going into Wal-Marts and swiping the oil? Pouring it into a container and taking off with it or something?

There are codes printed beneath the caps for basically free gas at participating Shell stations.

Yup... it's ridiculous here. One AAP near my office actually ducktaped around the caps of the jugs of QS,PNZL products.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RGR
Looks like nearly all the most expensive big name synthetics have been price reduced to $22.67 here locally in suburban Denver. All Mobil 1 synthetic flavors, and of interest to me is Pennzoil PPPP. PUP wasn't, but PPPP was.

Which means last night I collected top flight, low Noack PPPP for the net price of $0.84/qt (after FRN).

Will continue to collect at a higher rate then expected because of this. Now concentrating on 5w-20, but would collect 0w-20 and 5w-30 if that is all that is available.

Of note: some local walmarts have every single jug of PPPP, PUP, PU opened. Found a walmart 2 days ago where 4 of the caps were completely missing, people are just pulling the caps and running now, not even pretending to put them back. Competition is getting fierce out there, I expect armed guards soon.

Currently use Pennzoil Platinum. Have done so for years.

Have not seen a single 5qt jug of Penn Ultra Platinum anywhere. None in Wal Mart either.

Have you seen the Ultra 5W-30 in Denver?

Originally Posted By: Climb14er

Have not seen a single 5qt jug of Penn Ultra Platinum anywhere. None in Wal Mart either.

A little. I cleaned out as much as I could find 3 months ago. You can still find a little 5w-20 or 10w-30 but most of it is opened at this point, or has the wrong bottling dates. PUP as well. The PPPP is the most likely to NOT be opened, in part I think because as they restock the shelves post June, they have removed the $1/gal advertisement, and the thieves might not realize that the promotion is still on if you can get the right bottling dates that have the codes on the cap.

The wife was scheduled to shut me down on building my stash, but she was with me the night I paid like $0.09/gal for fuel, and decided that my stash build really wasn't a scam, and that I was getting the oil nearly for free. Plus she saw the first stash go years (I am just now finishing the remnants) without me purchasing oil, and knows it isn't like the stuff gets wasted.

Plus it is top flight oil, on the same level as the boutique stuff. Let them eat 6.0 Noack!

Combine that with net cost, and it just SCREAMS "stash me!".

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
So people walk in, un-cap all of the jugs, and walk out with the caps in their pockets?

Wow.

Yup! A similar sign is down the aisle for Rotella oil too.

20140803_103859.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Climb14er

A little. I cleaned out as much as I could find 3 months ago. You can still find a little 5w-20 or 10w-30 but most of it is opened at this point, or has the wrong bottling dates. PUP as well. The PPPP is the most likely to NOT be opened, in part I think because as they restock the shelves post June, they have removed the $1/gal advertisement, and the thieves might not realize that the promotion is still on if you can get the right bottling dates that have the codes on the cap.

The wife was scheduled to shut me down on building my stash, but she was with me the night I paid like $0.09/gal for fuel, and decided that my stash build really wasn't a scam, and that I was getting the oil nearly for free. Plus she saw the first stash go years (I am just now finishing the remnants) without me purchasing oil, and knows it isn't like the stuff gets wasted.

Plus it is top flight oil, on the same level as the boutique stuff. Let them eat 6.0 Noack!

Combine that with net cost, and it just SCREAMS "stash me!".

What are the right bottling dates?

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu

You aren't a cap thief are you?
grin.gif

All of my Nov/2013 and earlier jugs have no codes. All of my Jan->April 2014 bottling dates have codes.

I've got no December/2013 bottling dates so I don't know where between about the 20th of November and the 5th of January the codes began to be installed.

But everything from 5th Jan/2014 through end of April/2014 have the codes.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
So people walk in, un-cap all of the jugs, and walk out with the caps in their pockets?

Wow.

Yup! A similar sign is down the aisle for Rotella oil too.

20140803_103859.jpg

Looks like they forgot to spell check before printing the sign.........

Haha, this is funny because I bought some PPPP and didn't even know about the free gas. Dumped the oil in the engine and threw the jug out. I am positive it was never opened. I bought another brand jug that had been opened before and wouldn't use it.

You aren't a cap thief are you?
grin.gif

All of my Nov/2013 and earlier jugs have no codes. All of my Jan->April 2014 bottling dates have codes.

I've got no December/2013 bottling dates so I don't know where between about the 20th of November and the 5th of January the codes began to be installed.

But everything from 5th Jan/2014 through end of April/2014 have the codes.

No I am not.
laugh.gif

In June some of the PP Qt bottles had Quaker State codes/caps which had not been used.
Thanks for the info.

Looks like Walmart jacked up price on 0W20 EP; I should have picked them up when they were being discounted but then I thought why bother? I already have bunch of jugs in the basement and I still have to use even the first one yet :-(

Could not bring myself to buy more oil. I am sitting on 110 qts in my basement last I counted...

Could not bring myself to buy more oil. I am sitting on 110 qts in my basement last I counted...

I can't stop yet, when they are giving it away for the current price of like $0.75/qt including tax. I thought I would stop at about 110 or so but I'm at 130+ and still plan on going until the FRN program expires. As long as I can find unopened bottles anyway.

In Ottawa Kansas today, checking bottles. Plenty of opened caps, the PPPP in all weights is still the best bet for being unopened. PUP had been opened, they had some of the good old PU 5w-30 and PU 10w-30, of mostly the right bottling dates if anyone is interested. Some opened, but not all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back