wal mart oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive changed oil in a few cars who have gotten their oil chnaged at my local wal mart. every single one of those cars required a long 3/8 ratchet or 1/2 breaker bar to take the plug off. i thought, maybe they just overtighten the plug, then i made my discovery. It seems like those "techs" put blue loctite on the plug, and worst yet, the oil flter gasket!! just changed the oil in my aunts Sebring, blue loctite all oer the plug, and a few dabs on the gasket of the OCOD. are they that uncofident in their work that they have to use loctite? seems like they never heard of "good and snug" or a torque wrench.

Corporate makes them do it, it's so they don't get sued for an "oil-out".

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Corporate makes them do it, it's so they don't get sued for an "oil-out".
And it's so hard to remove people bring it back. John

It's not loctite, it's called tamper seal. They are not supposed to use it on the threads. Once plug and filter is tight you put a line on it, if someone moves it it falls off leaving a slight residue behind. Its a cya device, but only if used correctly. Sound like the lube "tech" doesn't understand its purpose.

Originally Posted By: snapcrackle12
It's not loctite, it's called tamper seal. They are not supposed to use it on the threads. Once plug and filter is tight you put a line on it, if someone moves it it falls off leaving a slight residue behind. Its a cya device, but only if used correctly. Sound like the lube "tech" doesn't understand its purpose.
Exactly. It so we can tell if someone pulls the filter off or something and try to claim a new engine... What vehicles are these? We use torque wrenches set to factory torque for the drain plug. Depending on vehicles it could be up to 30 ftlbs. A late model chevy 6.6 diesel is 62ft lbs for example.

They call it Torque Seal and is used to determine if a plug has been tampered with along with the filter. Also if you notice they use Fram Pro oil filters just to keep people from taking them to the cleaners. Fram Pro filters are not sold to the and only to Walmart shops. They are required to torque each plug to factory specs which they have on on file and posted all throughout the oil bay. Believe it or not but Walmart stays on top of the latest specs and manfuctures recommendations. I know this after spending 4 years in a Walmart shop while in college. I saw many people for terminated due to negligence on vehicles.

I recognize that quality work can be done anywhere, but I'm more surprised that a company that sells underwear, twinkies, and board games is sought-out for auto maintenance than I am surprised that work is not done in a satisfactory manner.

I work at Walmart's TLE. It's not Loctite. It's torque seal. It lets us know if somebody else has tampered with the drain plug. We only put a dab on the outside of the drain plug. Nowhere else. The drain plugs are tightened to spec with a torque wrench so that they are not over torqued.

I have had very poor experiences with Walmart oil changes. The oil was overfilled by a quart. The kid was really upset when I mentioned that he overfilled my oil. One time the Walmart employee went to use the wrong oil. I had to scream at him to get him to use the oil that I purchased. After this happened, I stopped using this Walmart. The other Walmart that I started using was pretty good for a few years. However, all the good people found new jobs, and the service went down the tubes. They also have a hard time filling my car with oil, it seems like they only got half of it in the car. With my corolla, you have to pure it in very slowly. The manager and assistant of the auto department thought that pouring it in faster would work. A few times I actually showed them how to pour the oil in my car. The old man got extremely nervous, and he told me that I was not allowed in the service area. Another time, the kid had trouble opening the oil jug. He pushed the foil in the jug, and he could not get it out. Three Walmart employees were trying to get the foil out. So, I grabbed some new oil that I opened myself, and told them to use it. The Walmart employees at this “auto center” are extremely rude and completely incompetent. I personally will never deal with another Walmart oil change. It is just too stressful for me.

Last edited:
It is tragic that getting a simple service like an oil change done correctly is seemingly impossible to come by at any reasonable price at all. What a disgrace. This is why for the basics I always do it. Sure more involved jobs I have to resort to a mechanic, but the less others put their paws on my vehicles the better off they are. One of the annoyances I have found is that even at my favorite indy shop which does decent work they ALWAYS end up putting a noticeable scratch somewhere on the car!!! I mean seriously how hard is it to use a little care!

Originally Posted By: chevman4life
I know this after spending 4 years in a Walmart shop while in college. I saw many people for terminated due to negligence on vehicles.
Originally Posted By: Will41
The oil was overfilled by a quart. The kid was really upset when I mentioned that he overfilled my oil.
See above for likely reason.

I worked at a Wally World TLE for a few months a long time ago. I had all my ASE certs at the time but my driving record took a hit so I couldn't get a job at a shop. Let's see what all I can remember: I watched a guy put the drain plug back in, he realized that he cross threaded it, so he just drove it the rest of the way in with a 3/8 impact. I saw a guy put the directional tires on a car all going the wrong direction. A guy did an oil change and a drain and refill on an auto trans. He then filled the trans up with 10w30 and the engine with trans fluid. A guy filled the washer fluid reservoir up with antifreeze. A guy sold an engine flush to a customer. Then proceded to put 9, yes 9 quarts of engine flush in the car. Start it up and park it outside to let it sit and idle. I ended up getting fired because I brought things to peoples attention. I had an old Datsun wagon come in for an oil change. While under the car I notice that the nut and bolt holding the lower control arm to the spindle was gone and the spindle had almost completely disconnected itself from the control arm. The car was NOT safe to drive. I couldn't turn a blind eye and just let this lady drive off. I go to tell her about it, then I write it on the ticket and have her sign it confirming that I advised her not to drive the vehicle, and have it towed to a shop. She was fine with that and very thankful that I let her know. My manager had a coronary about it. He ripped me big time. He then told me it didn't matter how qualified I was, I was there to change oil so that's all I knew how to do. Apparently he could let someone be in major danger and not care. So I told him that next time his wife brought her car in for a oil change I would make 100% sure to not tell him or her if her car was falling apart putting her in danger. He didn't like that very much.

Originally Posted By: Will41
I have had very poor experiences with Walmart oil changes. The oil was overfilled by a quart. The kid was really upset when I mentioned that he overfilled my oil. One time the Walmart employee went to use the wrong oil. I had to scream at him to get him to use the oil that I purchased. After this happened, I stopped using this Walmart. The other Walmart that I started using was pretty good for a few years. However, all the good people found new jobs, and the service went down the tubes. They also have a hard time filling my car with oil, it seems like they only got half of it in the car. With my corolla, you have to pure it in very slowly. The manager and assistant of the auto department thought that pouring it in faster would work. A few times I actually showed them how to pour the oil in my car. The old man got extremely nervous, and he told me that I was not allowed in the service area. Another time, the kid had trouble opening the oil jug. He pushed the foil in the jug, and he could not get it out. Three Walmart employees were trying to get the foil out. So, I grabbed some new oil that I opened myself, and told them to use it. The Walmart employees at this “auto center” are extremely rude and completely incompetent. I personally will never deal with another Walmart oil change. It is just too stressful for me.
Looks like you were a regular customer--- would not be surprised if they were doing it on purpose

They tighten the lug nuts with torque sticks and check them with a torque wrench.
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Now if they would tighten lug nuts with torque wrenches....

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
Whats wrong with torque sticks? Better to use impact gun as some do?
Torque sticks are used on an impact gun.

the "torque seal" wasnt all over the plug, but it was extremely difficult to get off, and i went to high school with most og the giys who work in thta department, so it doesnt surprise me if they overtightened it. my opiniion is if they torque the plug right and tighten the filter there should be no need to use the blue stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.