Wal-Mart now allows only 3 boxes of ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Wal-Mart near me now allows only three boxes of ammo per customer. Too many people were buying every box of ammo they could find.

A woman at work told me her husband had gone to Wal-Mart and bought 1300 rounds of 9mm ammo for her at $9.00 a box. That seemed kind of hard to believe unless they had bought trash corrosive ammo but I decided to see if I could buy boxes of .40cal in quantity for a good price. Well, no shipment was due that day and I noticed the new sign.

Well, maybe when the ammo does come in there will now be boxes for everybody.

So they hand you 3 boxes of ammo. You check out and come back for 3 more.

And so on.

Will not work. People who want to buy the ammo will. (when it is available)

Interesting we did not have this "problem" a year ago....
smirk2.gif

Take care, Bill

The wallmart near me gets ammo on thursday. They do not stock the case at all. They just put the whole skid on the floor infront of the case as soon as it comes in and theres a line just waiting for it.

Also, a guy buys one skid a month, every month, of any ammo that comes in onit.(usally not a heck of alot). He slips the store manager 200 bucks cash every time.
frown.gif

I will not post what store or who, but my source is trustworthy.

I was in Walmart a few days ago and bought all 10 boxes of CCI Blazer brass 9mm at $8.97 per box. The counter guy said they had been limiting customers to 2 boxes, but someone higher up said they had to stop doing that. They had to sell as much as a person wanted, and couldn't reserve any.

Originally Posted By: Cogito
Is there a shortage of .22 ammo also? Or just the bigger stuff?

At my store there is a shortage of 22 as well. I keep catching them at the right time though and grabbing the last box of something to try in my one picky semi-auto.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
The wallmart near me gets ammo on thursday. They do not stock the case at all. They just put the whole skid on the floor infront of the case as soon as it comes in and theres a line just waiting for it.

Also, a guy buys one skid a month, every month, of any ammo that comes in onit.(usally not a heck of alot). He slips the store manager 200 bucks cash every time.
frown.gif

I will not post what store or who, but my source is trustworthy.

Be happy you can pick it off a skid. In Ontario, Canada, we're treated like hit men when we ask for a box of rounds.
smirk2.gif

I'm not making any political statements, but just observations on facts.

The "war" has been going on for several years now, but ammo supply was still reasonably good. Then, less than a year ago, for some unknown reason
smirk2.gif
, demand picked up.

Not hard to figure out, folks. Limited supply + heightened demand = hard to find and expensive stuff.

And that goes for all ammo stuff, in all sizes. My neighbor and I reload; even brass, powder and primers are very hard to find right now.

The good thing is that eventually, regarding raw supplies, the supply chain will catch up. With other commodities being down world wide (brass, copper, lead, etc) because of down economies, there is some surplus beginning to move from one market to another.

But that pales in comparison to panic purchases ...

Last edited:
I could not find any .22LR CCI Mini Mag today at any area Houston stores (you know, a small town of 3+ million people), and I just caught the last 4 boxes of [censored] Russian .40S&W at an Academy store.

everything but shotgun ammo seems in short supply. Mystic, Blazer Brass is one of the cheapest and Best standard FMJ practice rounds. 12.47 for 50 .40S&W, 8.97/50 9mm, and 14.97 (around here anyways) for .45 ACP/50. It's arguably cleaner than Winchester White Box, and IMO shoots better.

I agree, Blazer Brass is good ammo.

But, I've never seen anything cleaner than Federal American Eagle Toxic Metal Free Primer TMJ ammo. The brass is almost completely clean inside after firing.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
I could not find any .22LR CCI Mini Mag today at any area Houston stores (you know, a small town of 3+ million people)

I had to keep checking and checking to finally pick up a pack of it. They had also just gotten some Winchester Extreme so I grabbed a box of it to try while I had it.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Can you say Obama. Hearing rumours of bad times comming.

Sure I can but what does that have to do with a slow ammo supply?

Originally Posted By: Buffman
everything but shotgun ammo seems in short supply.

Ditto. As far as rifle/pistol ammo, mine had the following:
a couple of boxes of Winchester 30-06, 5 boxes of silvertip 150 grain .30-30, and some .17 HMR (didn't see the name).

The local newspaper ran a story on the "shortage" and interviewed a gun show promoter who proclaimed that the local shows had been gangbusters since November. Same with a gun shop owner. That's all it took to get the rest of us out there buying, I guess.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Can you say Obama. Hearing rumours of bad times comming.

Sure I can but what does that have to do with a slow ammo supply?

Most of the ammo hoarding / panic buying has to do with the fear of new and more restrictive legislation regarding ammo and certain types of firearms .

Obama is seen by many as the enabler of the gun banners.

Last edited:
Buffman I wish I could find Blazer. I have used Blazer before and it got the job done for a better price than other brands. Right now every time I walk into Wal-Mart the ammo shelves are bare of almost everything except for maybe some shotgun shells and boxes of .22 rounds.

I had to get some stuff recently at Wal-Mart and every time I go into Wal-Mart I usually check out the auto department and the sporting goods where they have the ammo and stuff. Don't know why I do this-force of habit I guess. Anyway, I was told their warehouse is empty of ammo and they don't know when they will next get a shipment of ammo.

Lucky for me I did find a sporting goods store in town where for whatever reason they still seem to be able to get ammo. I bought three boxes of .40 cal rounds there fairly recently and I was telling myself that maybe I should have bought six boxes.

I am really happy that I got a .22 conversion kit for my Glock. There is usually at least a few boxes of .22 rounds at Wal-Mart. I often just shoot .22 anymore to conserve my supply of .40 cal.

With all of this not going to the range I have really gotten into watching Japanese Taiko drumming on YouTube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back