Wal-Mart loss prevention guy following me around....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bring a canteen in my car. Always have water with me.

So.

Save a buck or two on a oil filter, but pay 4 dollars per gallon for water.

Hmmm.

Originally Posted by Dave9
He wasn't following me but for that one shoe incident, but was easy to recognize because he always wore the same black leather jacket.

Note to loss prevention employees: Rotate your disguises.
21.gif

He was wearing his other black leather jacket.

Originally Posted by madRiver
It's profiling. I have been profiled at Walmart as well dressed person and never been stopped. That being said I accidentally took a $2 pack of 24 waters unpaid under cart.

For you it was unintentional.

When I worked in a supermarket, tons of folks accidentally forgot the 24 pack of cold beer under shopping cart.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Calm down. It was 90 degrees and very hot day.

Isn't it always hot in Florida?

You might just be clueless which is why women giggle behind your back.

What if everyone did what you did in the store? There wouldn't be enough loss prevention people to follow everyone around.

The women liked me but were bashful to ask me out. Eventually I told one of them I'm married.... but we can still have a coffee.

Only when I looked like I was gonna steal something. Like say, grabbing a bottle of water out of the cooler and drinking it before paying for it.
lol.gif

I had pulled some shoes out to look at and apparently they wondered if I had switched expensive shoes into a box for cheaper shoes... I never even thought about that kind of loss but I suppose some people try to do that. The thing was, they check the shoes against the box at the register so there wasn't even any point in following me for that reason.

We were shopping for shoes at Kohls one time and their display shoes have a 'code' on them that you match to the boxes while looking for your size. We found the style we wanted and the size, opened the box, and there was a ratty, old pair of shoes in the box. I took it to the service desk and the lady said it happens all the time.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by Greggy_D
So...you drank something that wasn't yours?

I do it all the time in bars and restaurants.

Except the theory is Walmart doesn't run tabs like bars and restaurants.
wink.gif
You know he had honest intentions. I know he had honest intentions, but the loss prevention officer didn't know that, and from the stories in this thread alone, much less what we've all talked about here in the past, that's not a big surprise.

Originally Posted by gman2304
You could have easily paid for the water as you were merely feet from the registers when you opened it and drank some. You chose to jerk the security persons chain when you noticed security was watching/following you around the store, from one end to another and in a few departments. Until you pay for an item it's not yours to consume unless you're in a restaurant setting. "possession being 9/10ths of the law" doesn't apply here! I'm assuming you paid for the Walmart bbq chicken tenders and Mac and cheese before consuming them!
sick.gif

You can't "easily pay for" any item in any Walmart I've been in over the past decade.
One out of every five checkout lines will be open and the self-check line will be ten deep for those few kiosks actually working.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
You could have with some difficulty paid for the water as you were merely feet from the registers when you opened it and drank some. You chose to jerk the security persons chain when you noticed security was watching/following you around the store, from one end to another and in a few departments. Until you pay for an item it's not yours to consume unless you're in a restaurant setting. "possession being 9/10ths of the law" doesn't apply here! I'm assuming you paid for the Walmart bbq chicken tenders and Mac and cheese before consuming them!
sick.gif

You can't "easily pay for" any item in any Walmart I've been in over the past decade.
One out of every five checkout lines will be open and the self-check line will be ten deep for those few kiosks actually working.

Fixed that for you. It's still true though.

Originally Posted by javacontour
If they are undetectable, they are not a deterrent.

Their job is loss prevention. They don't want to get into an altercation if they don't have to. They just want to keep merchandise from walking out of the store.

Obligatory video of man caught trying to steal 15 quarts of motor oil.

Loss prevention has nothing better to do, I mean literally they have to keep an eye on whatever seems most likely to result in loss.

I was targeted once at a Sears when shopping for shoes. Obviously this was a long time ago, I hadn't been to Sears in years by the time all stores near me had closed, but once upon a time ago I went there frequently.

I had pulled some shoes out to look at and apparently they wondered if I had switched expensive shoes into a box for cheaper shoes... I never even thought about that kind of loss but I suppose some people try to do that. The thing was, they check the shoes against the box at the register so there wasn't even any point in following me for that reason.

The funny thing was, the loss prevention guy was pretty good at being stealthy acting like a shopper but I knew what he was doing because I had seen him in the store on too many different visits for it to be a coincidence that we were both shopping on the same day and time. He wasn't following me but for that one shoe incident, but was easy to recognize because he always wore the same black leather jacket.

Note to loss prevention employees: Rotate your disguises.
21.gif

Is that Pennzoil Yellow Bottle?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

We were shopping for shoes at Kohls one time and their display shoes have a 'code' on them that you match to the boxes while looking for your size. We found the style we wanted and the size, opened the box, and there was a ratty, old pair of shoes in the box. I took it to the service desk and the lady said it happens all the time.

Those are called trade-ins.

Not sure how hard it is for LP to watch something on a camera, look for whoever they think is trying to trade in for a brand new set of kicks, and be standing by the exit. It seeme exceptionally simple. And they DO have LP department.. Might be only two or three guys in a small store but they have the right to detain a suspected shoplifter and call the police.

Could anyone have a more boring job??

Going for a walk is just an excuse for change up in scenery.

I can't imagine job satisfaction is high with loss prevention of a multi billion dollar company.

I would never open a bottle of anything in a store w/o paying first. Then in the case of water I'd drink it outside of the store. I don't need to get into discussion with anyone over it. I would also ask a person/employee why they're following me around. LOL

I'll go through the the deli area and grab some finger food to eat while walking through the store. Easily a meal and a drink while shopping. Get followed all the time and our LP are off duty police. I just don't care. They can't arrest you till you try to leave.

You could have easily paid for the water as you were merely feet from the registers when you opened it and drank some. You chose to jerk the security persons chain when you noticed security was watching/following you around the store, from one end to another and in a few departments. Until you pay for an item it's not yours to consume unless you're in a restaurant setting. "possession being 9/10ths of the law" doesn't apply here! I'm assuming you paid for the Walmart bbq chicken tenders and Mac and cheese before consuming them!
sick.gif

Yes. That's why I like to dig in when the situation is ridiculous and nobody wants to do anything about it.

Making people wait unnecessarily long to hand you money is one of the most "Planet of The Apes" things in our society. In my businesses, if a customer is ready to pay for a service, I am more than happy to supply and receive. I'd be ashamed of myself if someone called to tell me "I was trying to give your company money, but I just couldn't!".

sick.gif

Yep. Same for Home Depot.

A cashier is only $10 an hour. Better to have more cashiers working to increase sales.

I once walked into a Home Depot and walked out to the the crazy lines waiting to check out.

Am I the only one in this thread wondering why an employee would be following anybody around a store due to suspicion of theft of a dollar item?
If the guy couldn't find anything better to do in preventing losses, then maybe the store doesn't need to pay his minimal hourly wage.

Am I the only one in this thread wondering why an employee would be following anybody around a store due to suspicion of theft of a dollar item?
If the guy couldn't find anything better to do in preventing losses, then maybe the store doesn't need to pay his minimal hourly wage.

Guy that starts with a $1.00 item might also take more than that. Would you be okay with 500-1000 people walking out of your business with something because its only a $1.00?

Because most likely we are talking about a white dude. You can't accuse a white dude of anything that quickly. You need proof. If it would be any brown or black skinned, by the time, the police would be running through the street with lights on.

I personally never open anything unless paid, just doesn't seem right.

I did a thread a year ago about a guy stealing a 50+ inch TV and walked right out the front door and a Ford Explorer (engine running at store entrance) was waiting for him and drove off.

The Wal-Mart employees came out of the store and asked themselves if he paid for the TV....???

This happened around 7 AM when few customers were in the store. Why wasn't loss prevention following this guy walking around the store with big TV and passed by the produce dept, customer service and out the front door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back