wal-mart high mileage synthetic motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been buying supertech 10W-30 full synthetic.. but now it seems they have discontinued it.. or maybe not discontinue it, but put it in a bottle that says its for a high mileage motor oil.
Is that the same as the old ones?? What exaclty is the difference between high mileage momtor oils.. and just normal ones?? when it already is full synthetic?

Check out another oil they have at Wal-Mart, especially if you own a recent Ford or Honda vehicle. At my Wal-Mart, they have Motorcraft Oil. I checked these oils out (read the information on the containers), and the 5W20 apparently is synthetic or partly synthetic. The information on the 5W20 container is different than on the 5W30 and 10W30 containers. I have heard that the Motorcraft Oil is actually Conoco Hydroclear oil. The 5W20 is supposed to be very effective at reducing wear and preventing engine deposits. If it is really as good as they claim, I guess you could forget about the 5W30 and 10W30, unless you were racing cars or had a heavy duty truck.

I know the bottle says, "Full Synthetic", and at $3.00/qt it's probably a decent oil*, but it is NOT a traditional PAO-based polymerized synthetic oil. The Castrol "decision"** allows Group-III based motor oils to legally be designated "full synthetic" even though they're severely hydro-processed dinosaur juice products.

*Most big name "synthetic blends" are priced that high, also use Group-III as their "synthetic" component and restrict even that to only about 10% by volume. At least with the Supertech "Full Synthetic", it's all Group-III except for the additive carrier.

**It's all in how you define "synthetic". PAO oil stocks are long chains "built" to specific lengths. The building block additive process is called "polymerization". Group-III dino oils are reformed under heat and hydrogen pressure in the presence of a catalyst to the desired chain length from the less desirable aromatic ring chains, and residual waxes not removed during initial processing. This reformation process is called, "isomerization".

Walmart only stocks was sells. If they are not handling it anymore its becuase the demand was low. Its all about profit at Walmart. If it does not jump off the shelves in th local store, it will not be back on the shelves there. Also what you find in one store you may not find in another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back