Wal*Mart and SOPUS Products

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Wal-Mart to look at the Pennzoil Mercon V trans fluid. A big store generated yellow sign state: Due to a dispute with our Supplier, Wal-Mart will not longer be selling Quaker State, Pennzoil or Shell Products by the case.

Then another sign further down stated:

Due to a dispute with our Supplier, we will not be carrying Quaker State or Pennzoil Semi-synthetics or High Mileage oils.

When I worked at Wal-Mart TLE (awhile ago) I heard our Wal-Mart got in a fight with Motorcraft so they wern't going to sell to us any more... Probably not related but sure is interesting. Wonder what is really going on?
grin.gif

Wal-Marts out here in California have Motorcraft...

Sounds like Wal-Mart is putting the squeeze on Shell to cut their prices and Shell is resisting. In the end they'll have to cave, especially if Wal-Mart is going to pull all SOPUS oils from every Wal-Mart store. Even Shell can't afford to take that kind of hit in sales.

Base oils and additive costs continue to increase. There is no margine to squeeze out lower prices. SOPUS should be commended for standing by their price points, but it can turn out alot of ways. Why doesn't Walmart put the squeeze on Mobil 1?

I just was at the local WalMart getting a few detailing goodies for the motorsickles and I saw no such sign. Plenty of QS and Pennzoil on the shelves, and lots of Rotella. New M1 T/SUV 5w/30 too, but no Turbo Diesel 5w/40 yet.

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
When I worked at Wal-Mart TLE (awhile ago) I heard our Wal-Mart got in a fight with Motorcraft so they wern't going to sell to us any more... Probably not related but sure is interesting. Wonder what is really going on?
grin.gif

Wal-Marts out here in California have Motorcraft...

Well Arkansas would be the first place to see the signs... And though there is Motorcraft oil there, ever notice where all the Motorcraft filters went? Much reduced shelf space.

I went into the Plano Wallmart on Fri. and went through the oil and whatnot section. It looked like they were going out of business and not restocking the shelves, lots of empty space and in the addy section lots of spots with only one or two products. Mucho space on the oil shelves. No price reductions on anything though.

I think WW will pull the stint a little to often and it will bite them. Now with Costco down the street and Dollar General by the jillion everywhere old WW is in for a rude awakening it seems.

Wonder if the dispute had to do with the fact that Shell Oil Products United States would not sell their product at the price Wally World said it was worth. Wally World buys direct from the manufacture, They tell the manufacture what there product is worth and its a take it or leave it situation.

Interesting, I don't use any of these products so this will not affect me. However, with the walmarts in my area the selection varies from store to store. So this may be a good thing for the stores with the smaller selections as the freed up space may allow them to carry something else instead.

The first store I went to was a very large Super Center. I just went to 2 more in different towns. Neither one had signs, but no cases of Pennz, QS or Shell. I asked in both stores, again Super Centers and both times I was told they did not have cases and don't expect any. But cases on display of all other brands.

I'm glad someone has the kahones to stand up to King Wally. Perhaps WM should squeeze a few cents from THEIR profit margin and open a few less stores in China next year!

Hmm, my wally world actually had MORE dino Rotella out this weekend. And they never seem to move any QS, even though it's the cheapest "big name" dino at $8.12 per jug.

Hmmm, more interesting...what will they put in its place?????

More Chevron oils? We have 1 row of Delo and that's it. More TropArtic? Kendall? Or....the new Lucas oils????? Bring back Valvoline Synth?

Where's Johnny, maybe he knows the inside.

At our WallyWorld, Pennzoil bulk is used for their shop oil change services.

Many, many SOPUS products, doesn't it include rain-x, outlaw, black magic, etc.

I'm glad I stocked up on PZ 5w-20 SM 5qt jugs at $5.00 each at the local WM about a year ago.
smile.gif

This issue will blow-over as customer demand will open the door to put those bottles back on the shelf.

Castrol dino is regularly $8.99 or $9.99 for 5qt jugs. PZ is almost always the same or less. Perhaps it was just some bad blood between the WM district manager and someone at SOPUS.
dunno.gif

It's called allocation. Shell has all customers, both large and small on 80% allocation until the Port Arthur refinery gets back online. Chevron and Conco/Phillips are also allocating oil.

WM tried to flex their muscle and told Shell to skip their allocation and let the smaller customers take the hit. Shell said no, all customers have to abide with it. It's called fair trade. I'm affraid this could really wind up hurting Shell's gallons because of all the WM TLE that feature Pennzoil and Quaker State. The allocation is also for bulk oil. If Shell looses that business they will take a huge hit. I know Valvoline and Castrol are loving this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back