Wake Up, It's Time To Land !!

I remember this happening to a couple of airline pilots here. I can't remember the airline, but I think they were flying from San Diego to Minneapolis, overshot, and had to fly back.

They weren't sleeping. Just checking their eyelids for cracks. Just ask them...

I remember this happening to a couple of airline pilots here. I can't remember the airline, but I think they were flying from San Diego to Minneapolis, overshot, and had to fly back.

This one caught my attention.

The schedule that they were operating was horrible. Guaranteed to disrupt their sleep and have them operating fatigued. Their airline is partly to blame for such an atrocity of scheduling. Such a schedule is illegal in the US, and US rules apply to any carrier that operates here.

No wonder Africa has 20 times the mishap (crash) rate of the US.

The previous incident to which you referred, was a North west flight. The pilots were fired, and convicted, but I never got the straight story. I’m not certain they ever told the straight story. The rumor was that they were both watching movies on their laptops. An egregious breach of responsibility.

Recently flew Airlink from JNB to CPT and back. Quite the experience, the sterile cockpit isn't a thing. The flight attendants were chatting with the captain and first officer during takeoff, the flight deck door never closed and the captain and first officer frequently left the cockpit during the flight. Upside, they served a great meal on a flight that was less than two hours!

YvF6RfA.jpg

Sterile cockpit is both an FAR and a good idea.

Distracted pilots lead to errors, which leads to bad outcomes.

It may be “cool” to see, but it isn’t the safest practice.

Back