Waiting for 22k UOA From Blackstone

Waiting for my results from my latest oil change. After running Supertech Syn for 15K miles, Rotella T5 for 17.5K miles I decided to run my 2009 Focus 2.0 5-speed for 22K miles with T6 15w-40. I commute now 100 miles round trip to work so I really turn up the miles. I am very interested to see what the lab says especially the TBN number. I put the T6 in on 12/4/19 and drained/sampled on 9/3/20 so I got a good run in the cool, cold, warm and hot parts of the year. I only had to add about half a quart the entire run and ran a Fram XG3600 filter. The manual specs a 3614 but I have the clearance under the engine to run the longer 3600 that doubles the filter capacity. Anyone wanna take a guess what the TBN might be?

No guess on TBN but I’m also very curious to see the UOA. Any reason you chose the 15w40? Had it been mine I would probably have gone 5w40. T6 in any weight repeatedly proves itself in multiple applications across multiple industries. I don’t believe in a 1size fits all oil but the T6 especially in 5w40 is about as close as it gets in my opinion.

I went with 15w-40 for no particular reason other than it is a thicker formula and I wanted to have the higher viscosity in the brutal Alabama summers! Its a beater commuter car so I'm really stretching the limits on intervals on my way to 300K miles. That is my goal on this car. My plan is to run it with a variety of oils for long intervals and when I retire it, I'm gonna disassemble the engine and "mic" the various parts and see how they fared. My VVT system seemed to work fine. I did notice the engine did make a slight HIGH PITCHED WHINE kinda like a turbo when revved. It never did prior to running 15w-40 and it doesn't after I drained and replaced with 10w-30. Oil pumping system or VVT causing the whine? I do not know but I don't believe in coincidence! Looking in the filler cap, the engine is still spotless! No BMW, Toyota, Chrysler sludging in this motor! I will probably go 5W-40 next oil change after this CarQuest/Amalie High Mileage Synthetic run. I'd never dream of stretching intervals like this on Direct Injection cars. Way too much fuel blow by and contamination of the oil in the new engines it seems like.

Back