Wagner Thermoquiet EE Friction Rating for Dodge Ram 2500

JHZR2

Staff member
I want to pull and grease the wheel bearings, and also lube the calipers on my Ram, and figured I’d have a set of pads to do a pad slap if worthwhile. I figured they don’t go bad, even if I decided to wait, so got a set of Wagner Thermoquiet semi-metallic pads from Rockauto since I had to place an order anyway.

I was surprised to see that they are only rated EE friction. I thought they tended to be GG. I’ve never bought them before.

My Ram, like my Chevy truck, has a relatively soft pedal compared to my European cars. Because of that especially, I’d like more bite. I know often OE pads aren’t rated as high, and often have very good feel. But does it really matter? Will I be disappointed?

Thoughts?

I wouldn't put too much stock in the friction code. A hypothetical pad could have a .34 coefficient of friction and be rated at E, and another type have .36 and be rated an F, but in that case you'd never be able to feel the difference. I'd slap those Thermo-squeaks in and see how you like them. Chances are they'll be fine.

I've noticed some Textar rear semi-metallic pads for E30 and E90 BMW cars are rated EE. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Install and see how they perform.

If you try them and don't like them, give the Centric Fleet Performance pads a try. Similarly, Bendix Fleet MetLok and Wagner Severe Duty semi-metallic are worthwhile. They might help with the bite, since the ceramic based pads sometimes don't have it.

Last edited:
I've been quite disappointed in Wagner TQ pads in the last few years, They perform okay but are very noisy.....I started calling them Thermo-Squeals.

Your low pedal complaint is likely in the rear.....The drums need to be measured as they may be way oversized, If the adjusters are screwed way out & the shoes still have good meat on them is also a good indicator of this.
Of coarse, Running the larger GM wheel cylinders is a must on '94-'00 Dodge Ram 2500's

I've been quite disappointed in Wagner TQ pads in the last few years, They perform okay but are very noisy.....I started calling them Thermo-Squeals.

Your low pedal complaint is likely in the rear.....The drums need to be measured as they may be way oversized, If the adjusters are screwed way out & the shoes still have good meat on them is also a good indicator of this.
Of coarse, Running the larger GM wheel cylinders is a must on '94-'00 Dodge Ram 2500's
Yeah I need to measure the drums at some point. There wasn’t a major lip on them that I recall. I pulled them when I did the GM cylinders. My S-10 is similarly soft, but has four wheel discs in good shape. I figured it was just an overboosted American vehicle thing. I recall my in laws suburban being similar, fwiw... But these drums on the Ram are definitely worth a pull and look. I do occasionally get a hot driver side drum/wheel too.... so investigation is warranted.

Disappointing to hear that about the Wagner pads. What would you run instead?

very pleased with EBC braking products on my bikes + 2011 fronty SV. i used their yellow pads + they work great but a little dusty. replaced all OE rotors as well, lo miles but preowned from mass. according to car fax. prolly 20 thou on them + still great. i haul house coal + daily drive as needed, RETIRED!!!

Raybestos brake pads have been pretty good for people on here... EHT version I believe.

Some of the house brands by AAP and AZ and O Reilly and Federated Auto parts can be very solid too. Roulonds makes some of those house brand pads I believe. And others too.

I believe Federated Auto parts brake parts aka SST are Bendix.. will double check that though. Yep just checked. They are Bendix. They had front pads FF for my car at $51. Not too shabby. Though I went with akebono GG rated street performance pads instead.

Also... Wale of a sale at Fisher Auto parts aka Federated Auto parts for Trico Force wipers... $14.88 for long blades like mine that are 26 inches long and short ones $10.88.

Last edited:
Yeah I need to measure the drums at some point. There wasn’t a major lip on them that I recall. I pulled them when I did the GM cylinders. My S-10 is similarly soft, but has four wheel discs in good shape. I figured it was just an overboosted American vehicle thing. I recall my in laws suburban being similar, fwiw... But these drums on the Ram are definitely worth a pull and look. I do occasionally get a hot driver side drum/wheel too.... so investigation is warranted.

Disappointing to hear that about the Wagner pads. What would you run instead?
Significant vote for the raybestos eht / element3 pads. Not expensive. Silent. Firm pedal feel. Greater stopping grip than oem. Slightly more dusting but it’s quite minimal. They are stout on my f150, which sees tow duty. Their formulation on the Lexus GS is also spot-on. This is now my go-to pad. I think it’s considered a light semi-metallic, and does seem a bit harder on rotors than the thermoquiet and akebono offerings, BUT, they also work cold without the cold penalty of typical metallics.

Back