Wacky idea - home made external bypass filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
4th specimen taken after all the oil had been filtered. Findings: not much different from specimen #3. The oil has been returned to the engine and topped up to the dipstick's full mark.

If your wallet was fat enough and testing was relatively cheap, I'd so love to see before and after particle counts. It would kinda defeat any sense of economy.

Take a lok at Trasko dual full flow/bypass in one can that screws on to the stock filter houseing. THey have the older cast models with cooling fins and a newer machined model that will fit tight spaces better. It uses something like a tp roll but in this case it is not TP it only looks like a TP roll. I own one that I intend to put to use in the next 12 months. Bought it for my Dodge Dakota but it has been sitting since I sold the Dodge to get my 2003 Camry! The filter material it wraped at least 4-5 times tighter then TP, it is more porus and is Kiln dried so it is a tad brittle but it will not channel like TP will.

It use's a 25 micron reusable mesh screen on the full flow side and the TP like filter media on the bypass portion. Just like the AMsoil system it only bypass's about 10% of the oil into the the TP like filter at any given time the rest just pass's through the 25 micron stainless steel screen. Everyting inside is either polished or anadized aluminum.

It is the most convient set up I have ever seen as it takes no plumbing at all it just goesin place of the stock canister filter. In my case the model I have is too large physicaly to fit directly so I need to use a remote set up but they have a size that would fit if I was buying new today andnot reuseing an old one for a larger more open application.

The only people I know that have not gotten good results are the ones that try to use OTC toliet paper in them. THey make filter set ups that use toliet paper so if someone wanted to use tolietpaper they really should get a system designed for it. Frantz use's toliet paper.TP does not last as long as the Trasko element. If I recall properly the first time you use it you are limited to six months but after the first time I think it said you could go a year. The reason the first change has to be cut short is due to all the stuff it catchs the first time you use it.THe ammount of carbon deposits it catchs is insane the first time you use it.

I would not use it on a sludge beast though because the full flow screen is not that large and it would be easy to plug it if it ws put on a dirty beast.

This all seems like SO much more work than is needed.

I don't get it.

As far as it actually working, I'd worry about external contaminents getting into the oil as you are filtering it outside the engine.

Also, if you've got all the oil out of the engine, and an 'emergency' comes up, you can't just hop in your car and go. Or what if you r someone else goes to use the car, and forgets/doesn't know the oil is out of it?

Just seems like SO many risks for little reward....thinkng must be different in the Philippeans, I don't know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back