W2's pointless question of the day

Status
Not open for further replies.
DISCLAIMER: I doubt that I would ever try this.

I will rack up 25k, 70-80 mph, all highway miles in one year commuting to & from work. My car is a '00 VW GTI 1.8T.
Assuming the engine was 100% mechanically sound, if I ran Mobil 1 EP 15w50 for 25k miles(1 yr.), using the standard size M1 oil filter for my engine(M1-205), what do you guys think the condition of the oil would be at 25k?

I bet the oil will be fine given the climate you live in, no abnormal wear nor any odd things happening However, changing the filter halfway through will give you peace of mind!

I think you would be pleasantly surprised. Given you checking for backward compatibility with your oil specifications for your engine.

I run a TDI and will run between 20,000 and 25,000 OCI's after the meager warranty period of 4 years 50k miles. I am at 49k on a 2003 VW Jetta bought new. I have been using Delvac One 5w40 aka Mobil One Truck & Suv 5w40 after the first OEM fill (rumored to be Castrol GC 5w40) at 5,000 miles. If I were you, I'd run Delvac One 5w40 aka Mobil One Truck & Suv 5w40. It is backward compatible for the SL specification and a lot of ACEA ones also.

[ February 28, 2005, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

The original 15W-50 down here had an advertisement (on T.V. no less) of Sydney to Perth to Sydney etc etc. for 40,000km. or 12 months.

Given that this was 15 years ago, I doubt that you would have a problem.

It's the all highway that's the easy part!

Short trip, cold start, partial warm-ups are the worst. By far.

My opinion, it shouldn't be a issue, but let's see the data! (UOA)

Thanks guys, those are some very interesting suggestions.
smile.gif
GC will be going in my engine at 46k, since I've got 10 qt's of it in the garage. I'll be at 46k in about 3-4 more weeks.

I don't know why I didn't think about this when I asked my original question, but I'm going to run the GC for 10k & do a UOA. Maybe GC will be a good candidate for EOCI's.

When I drain the current fill of M1 0w40 @46k, I'm sending it off for a UOA, just to make sure no funny business is going on inside the engine. At 46k, the M1 will only have 5k miles on it, so I am expecting a very good UOA.

[ February 28, 2005, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: wavinwayne ]

I bet you if you used Lube Control you could easily extend your OCI to 25K. You do "easy" oil driving, well maybe not at 80mph
rolleyes.gif
but 70 mph on the highway is "gentle" on the oil. Just curious, do you have to add oil in between changes? And if so how often?

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
Just curious, do you have to add oil in between changes? And if so how often?
Whimsey

"Little Red" uses absolutely no oil between 5k mile oil changes.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back