VW's 1.4 TSI uses camshafts build into head...

That block top
& gas/oil separator look like a Honda dZ16 from the nineties. oh well.

I found this to be interesting. Is this common? This is the first time I have seen this design.

VW 1.4 TSI teardown

Thanks for posting that, it is interesting to see what they are doing to make the engine more compact and what they can get out of a 1.4 litre engine.
That is one engine you definitely do not want to get a varnish or deposit buildup in, I am guessing dino and probably even blends are out.

Thanks for posting that, it is interesting to see what they are doing to make the engine more compact and what they can get out of a 1.4 litre engine.
That is one engine you definitely do not want to get a varnish or deposit buildup in, I am guessing dino and probably even blends are out.

VW has required only synthetic since the late 90's starting with the MKIV and B5 Passat. Wondering if you take a Jetta/Golf in to even a quick lube style place if their systems would allow a bulk dino or blend, its been MANY (15+) years since I stepped foot in a quick lube joint so I am not even sure how they work anymore.

That engine is in our Jetta, minus the cylinder deactivation. Great mpg and lively acceleration. We're putting 20k annually on it, I hope it holds up.

I would never run anything other than "full synthetic" in any turbo engine. Besides, VW makes it clear that 508.00 is the only option for the current 1.4 TSI.

I doubt the OP will have any oil related issues with his. It will get changed early and often with full syn. along with the proper spec.

I found this to be interesting. Is this common? This is the first time I have seen this design.
Thanks for the link, gregk24. Answered some questions I had about the engine in my lease Jetta. Surprised ath the texbook pentroof cyl head shape with the DI port opp the sparker. I dont recall seeing cam thru the cam box integrated with the head proper on a OHC engine, but I never had to repair any other than motorcycles. Usually they are sitting on bearingless saddles about level with the rocker arm cover split. I would say this is the result of advanced casting techniques and capabilities.

Love the timing belt vs chain.

Even VW learned what I knew and espoused here over a decade ago; though mine was through an engineer's intuition -
not VAG's not insignificant FMEA data.

Luckily My 1.4 doesn't have the cylinder deactivation complexity.

Hate to think what it will cost to fix anything on that engine.

The 1.4T has been doing duty (well less the cylinder deactivation) in the Jetta since 2016 MY in US & Canada so about 5 years now and I don't recall any widespread issues being talked about. Even the 7th gen Jetta has been out with this as the exclusive engine (except GLI) since 2018 and I think only noteworthy powertrain issues are the grinding automatic trans.

VW has required only synthetic since the late 90's starting with the MKIV and B5 Passat. Wondering if you take a Jetta/Golf in to even a quick lube style place if their systems would allow a bulk dino or blend, its been MANY (15+) years since I stepped foot in a quick lube joint so I am not even sure how they work anymore.

Valvoline Instant Oil Change uses proper oil. They show you the single quart bottles.

Back