VW505 without VW502?

On another message board I frequent, someone asked about this. He purchased two jugs of oil at the same time, one does not say VW502 on the back (He's in Spain). He asked Castrol the story and they said the one without 502 is the newest formulation and it does not meet 502 anymore.

I have never seen an oil that didn't carry both together, I was under the impression that the specs went together and the oil was tested for both at the same time. What is going on here?

HXrpFvy.jpg

X7BVD3e.jpg

Weird, since 502 is the gas spec and 505 is the diesel spec and most oils made to one spec usually carry the other as well.

Pics don't show...

The latest approval lists for these specifications appear to be split along ACEA Ax/Cx specifications. There are now separate approval lists for VW 502.00 / 505.00 and VW 505.00 / 505.01 - the former appearing to be ACEA A3 or A3/B4 whereas the latter diesel only spec appears to be ACEA C3. The Castrol Edge C3 you posted is no longer on the VW502.00 / 505.00 list and I see it has a different bar code from the second photo you posted which I'm guessing is an older package.

Attachments

• step_50200_50500.pdf
    153.2 KB · Views: 25
  • step_50500_50501.pdf
    86.8 KB · Views: 14
Interesting to see Redline on there assuming this is an actual VW approved oil list. I'm a little skeptical because all the info at the beginning of the PDF is missing from other VM approved oil lists that I have seen.

Interesting to see Redline on there assuming this is an actual VW approved oil list. I'm a little skeptical because all the info at the beginning of the PDF is missing from other VM approved oil lists that I have seen.
Always good to be sceptical but I can confirm these lists were downloaded from the VW Erwin website. You need to register (for free) then you can access the lists individually or download the complete pack as a zip file.

Im quite sure that the specifications are updated for those that are turbocharged, I think I am still wrong on this, but the newer specification is more strict on shearing and the additive blends, 505 is diesel and they dont run 15w40 like they used to. They are for sure backwards compatible.

Always good to be sceptical but I can confirm these lists were downloaded from the VW Erwin website. You need to register (for free) then you can access the lists individually or download the complete pack as a zip file.
I didn't pick up that it was the professional series so it makes more sense to me. I was thinking it was the white bottle.

Back