VW V6 - Mobil 1 or SynPower

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am switching my 2000 VW Passat V6 over to sythetic. I am down to either Mobil 1 0w40 or Valvoline 5w40. What do you all prefer? Can I run into any problems by switching? (Seals or consumtion...)

My suggestion in this application is going to be for the Valvoline. I am not a fan of Valvoline oil but I'm even less a fan of Mobil'1 0W-40.

I've used Valvolines 5W-40 in the past and it seemed to do a fine job for short drain intervals up to 5000 miles. I wouldn't try to extend past that.

My older Passat VR6 is getting Pentosin Pentosynth 5W-40 at the moment. I think it likes it
grin.gif

My first choice would be Castrol Syntec 5w40. It was specifically formulated for the VW specs. It's one of their European made oils, and is reputedly a true PAO/Ester synthetic. It is essentially a VW specific oil.

Second choice would be the M1 0w40. It meets several of the VW specs and is also a true synth.

The Synpower is uses a group III hydrocracked dino base stock, and is not really synthetic. It might get the job done, but I'd trust the others more.

I started out by looking for the Castrol 5w40 but have been unsuccessful at finding it anywhere locally. I also think the Pentosin would be a great choice, I just wanted to find something that was available locally instead of paying for shipping everytime to order it online.

Anyone know of a place that would stock either of these oils in the Salt Lake, Utah area?

Edit: What drain interval are you using on the Pentosin?

[ February 09, 2004, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: mardigan ]

I am researching this for my vw v6 as well. Does anyone know how much difference there is between the Castrol 5w-40 and the 5w-50? Do they have a different base oil? I can't find the 40w anywhere, yet the 50w is everywhere.

Mardigan,

I have an Audi A6 2.7T...my preferences in order are:
GC 0W30
BC 5W40
M1 0W40
...but nary a drop of the V oil

I am going to run the Pentosin for 5000 mile intervals. I got a super deal on the oil and so it cost me $2.75 per liter.

I want to buy some Quaker State 5W-50 to try in the VR6 engine just to see if it runs smoothly. I have three vehicles that I can use the Pentosin in so it won't go waste. I plan on doing a oil change at the 95,000 mile mark which will finish up this 5,000 mile run on the Pentosin.

I'm going to try German Castrol 0w-30 next in my VR6, and will probably do a UOA to see how it does. I like the fact GC meets VW 502/505/503.01, and is a very thick 30wt at 12.2cSt.

If you really want to try Castrol Syntec 5w-40, you can get it at the VW dealer under part # ZVW352540S for a spendy $6.75. You can also get the 5w-40 at Castrol distributors, call 1-888-CASTROL and ask them for the nearest one. Distributor part # is 06602 for Castrol Syntec 5w-40.

Mardigan,

I'm running the 5W 40 SynPower in my 99' Passat 1.8T which is also chipped. Have 112,000 miles on it, Valvoline SynPower since 15,000 miles. I did an UOA last Spring and it came back great at 8100 miles however the additives were mostly depleted. The 1.8T has only a 3.7 quart sump while your V6 has over a 6 quart sump. You should be able to go at least 10,000 miles if mostly hwy., some city.
BTW, the Vavloline SynPower is available at any Napa for $4.49 or something. It also is an ACEA A3 oil and was one of the first oils to meet the VW's specs which is why I've used it since 1999.

I prefer Synpower 5w-40 over M1 0w-40. Wear numbers tend to be better with Valvoline. Having said that, I will be running M1 5w-30 because I don't like the shearing that occurs with any 0w-40 or 5w-40 oil.

You can go to fancier brands like Lubro-Moly or Pentosin 5w-40, but in a couple of analyses on Lubro-Moly, it also sheared to a 30 wt. There is one analysis with Pentosin in a VW W8, and that oil barely remained a 40 wt even in a non-turbo with an 8 quart sump. Hate to see what a 1.8T would do to the oil.

Who knows, maybe Synpower will hold up okay in the V6 since it has a large sump and no turbo. Only way to know is to try it and do an analysis.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to start with the Valvoline, run it for 3000 for the initial conversion from dino and then go with a few runs at 5000 before an analysis.

Now I just need to find that oil leak before my warranty is up...

Even if it sheers, which is questionable at best, the M1 0w40 stays at a high 30. Even then, it's running at a higher vis than the 5w30, which starts out as a lowish 30.

quote:

Originally posted by VeeDubb:
I prefer Synpower 5w-40 over M1 0w-40. Wear numbers tend to be better with Valvoline. Having said that, I will be running M1 5w-30 because I don't like the shearing that occurs with any 0w-40 or 5w-40 oil.

You can go to fancier brands like Lubro-Moly or Pentosin 5w-40, but in a couple of analyses on Lubro-Moly, it also sheared to a 30 wt. There is one analysis with Pentosin in a VW W8, and that oil barely remained a 40 wt even in a non-turbo with an 8 quart sump. Hate to see what a 1.8T would do to the oil.

Who knows, maybe Synpower will hold up okay in the V6 since it has a large sump and no turbo. Only way to know is to try it and do an analysis.

Look for a Castrol-centric quick change place. I found one attached to a car wash. In the retail part of the car wash, they had a surprisingly good selection of Syntecs, including the German 0w30 and the Belgian 5w40. They were charging 5.25 a bottle, and this was in Manhattan.

quote:

Originally posted by mardigan:
I started out by looking for the Castrol 5w40 but have been unsuccessful at finding it anywhere locally. I also think the Pentosin would be a great choice, I just wanted to find something that was available locally instead of paying for shipping everytime to order it online.

Anyone know of a place that would stock either of these oils in the Salt Lake, Utah area?

Edit: What drain interval are you using on the Pentosin?

quote:

Originally posted by MikeW:
[QB] Even if it sheers, which is questionable at best, the M1 0w40 stays at a high 30. Even then, it's running at a higher vis than the 5w30, which starts out as a lowish 30.

I'm not worried about shearing because of the viscosity per se. Otherwise, I wouldn't be running a 5w-30. I don't like shearing because it implies VII breakdown which leaves varnish in your engine over the long run. The M1 5w-30 stays in grade even in the 1.8T. That's why I use it. If it lost 15% of its viscosity, I wouldn't use it because it is probably depositing gunk into my engine (even if wear rates are completely unaffected in the short run).

p.s. there is no question that the 0w-40 shears in the 1.8t. Do a search on used UOAs. The only question is whether it will shear in the V6. Not enough data to confirm.

[ February 10, 2004, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: VeeDubb ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back