VW TV commercials for Chevy ! Not kidding....Strange

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to remember this was part of the settlement VW made with the EPA to help make up for the extra pollution they caused with the diesel scandal, BTW.
Doubt its a trend, or else next thing you know Ford will be selling Ram pickups!

Quite a remarkable industry push. They have already committed significant resources into the electric technology and don't want the current administration's policy reversals to thwart it.

Quote:
About: PlugIntoThePresent.com is part of an education and awareness media campaign investment sponsored by Volkswagen Group of America. Designed to support education and awareness of zero emission vehicles (ZEV) through brand-neutral outreach, this site links to various pages in order to enhance ZEV awareness for the site visitor.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
I seem to remember this was part of the settlement VW made with the EPA to help make up for the extra pollution they caused with the diesel scandal, BTW.
oh, well, that explains it then.

And here I thought they were genuinely joining efforts for a good cause.

Lol! Thanks for posting oil_film_movies. The Germans are witty. Love the disclaimer at the bottom. I totally agree. Wish I could afford their engineering of fine art. Can you imagine an "oil based website, with electric vehicle adulation." In fifty years, we will be like the dinosaurs.

They know that GM cost cutters will destroy the quality of the Bolt. When they do, VW will be able to conquest sales. Then people get to learn about German "Quality" and what happens when essential and usually expensive maintenance is ignored.

Humm, EV and soy based biodegradable insulation anyone? Yes, I am still [censored] over a over 2K harness replacement.

Rod

Last edited:
Witty indeed. Hilarious, stereotyped scruffy dude in a Subie.
Actually, there is a VW in the commercial. Near the end.
The cars shown are:

1. Chevy Bolt - George Jetson driving and Astro the dog .. although the song says 'his boy elroy' with no kid present... flawed, man, flawed.

2. Hyundai Ioniq
3. BMW I3
4. VW E-Golf
5. Nissan Leaf (the new ones are nice, old ones hideously ugly.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
They know that GM cost cutters will destroy the quality of the Bolt. When they do, VW will be able to conquest sales. Then people get to learn about German "Quality" ....
Great strategy. First buy the competition's cars, to see how awful they are, and then come buy ours. Brilliant. They are playing chess while we all play checkers. ... Kind of like when Iacocca said "If you find a better car, buy it.", which most people realized they should do (it was a friggin' cruddy k-car after all!).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Witty indeed. Hilarious, stereotyped scruffy dude in a Subie.
Actually, there is a VW in the commercial. Near the end.
The cars shown are:

1. Chevy Bolt - George Jetson driving and Astro the dog .. although the song says 'his boy elroy' with no kid present... flawed, man, flawed.

2. Hyundai Ioniq
3. BMW I3
4. VW E-Golf
5. Nissan Leaf (the new ones are nice, old ones hideously ugly.)

I was going to post "There's a Golf in that pack of cars at the end". But yeah, dog = child now-a-days, if this vid ain't pushing an agenda I don't know what is.
Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
They know that GM cost cutters will destroy the quality of the Bolt. When they do, VW will be able to conquest sales. Then people get to learn about German "Quality" and what happens when essential and usually expensive maintenance is ignored.

Humm, EV and soy based biodegradable insulation anyone? Yes, I am still [censored] over a over 2K harness replacement.

Rod
VW < ragtoplvr

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pelican
What would happen IF everybody went electric?! There isn't enough electricity at peak times as it is! Just saying.
Basically right. The surge in peak power demanded by people plugging in their car when they got home from work at 5:30 pm (+/-1 hour bell curve) combines with the air conditioners clicking on during hot summer afternoons...... too much. Especially the high-powered home chargers Tesla uses. Even the 240v 30-amp Leaf, Bolt, i3, e-Golf chargers are a problem then.
If the utility companies somehow forced people to only plug in their cars after 8 pm, it might be OK.

I had my home builder put in wiring to charge 2 vehicles in my garage and one guest charge point outside. I don't own an electric vehicle, but want to be ready for the future.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I had my home builder put in wiring to charge 2 vehicles in my garage and one guest charge point outside. I don't own an electric vehicle, but want to be ready for the future.
If you have 200 amp house service, those 3 charge stations at 30 amps each only leaves your house with 110 amps. Add an air conditioner at another 30 amps, and you're down to 80 amps for the rest of the home. Thats taking some hits.

At the end of the commercial there are various brands of electric cars seen driving into the sunset. I am suprized that the didn’t at least remove the Chevy emblem from the bolt.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
It's code for new construction to have a 200 amp service + rough ins for car chargers here.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
Well played on vw’s part, promoting the Bolt, which is priced way too high.
Holy cow, you're right. TrueCar.com is reporting a $36k average price for the lowest-optioned basic Bolt model. I had no idea it was really going for that much. The cheapest Leaf is $29,500, albeit with 150 miles range vs. the Bolt's 238 miles. But the Leaf is a bigger vehicle by a bit.

I did think this was an actual Chevy Bolt commercial at first! That must really grind VW's gears to be putting their own money into Chevy's ad campaign.
Wonder if VW was forbidden from using their own VW E-Golf (125 mile range) with George Jetson driving it instead of the Chevy???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back