VW to pay owners up to $10K...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: glock19
Originally Posted By: wemay

...but i forgot to add. It appears to be a fair decision for the consumer and the right move by VW.

Just to be clear, it's a court settlement. They didn't do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Thanks for the clarification. Lol. Don't know what i was thinking.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars...-cars/86462942/

Quote:
In what is being called a ground-breaking agreement, Volkswagen will pay $14.7 billion not only to compensate owners for its polluting "clean" diesel-powered cars, but for environmental mitigation and to set up a fund to promote zero-emissions technology, the government announced Tuesday.

Owners of the 475,000 Volkswagen vehicles with 2-liter diesels covered under the settlement will receive payments ranging from $5,100 to $10,000. In addition, Volkswagen will either repair their cars to bring them into compliance with emissions laws or buy them back or terminate the leases on them.

Still no agreement on the 3-liter diesels.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Wow. That's gotta be a blow to VW.

Goes to show just how out of control the EPA is.

Payments to owners and environmental mitigation aren't the only expenses, EPA (and CARB) can impose substantial fines still. And the fine can be multi-billions too.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Actually if you plan to keep your TDI a very long time and get the long term usage out of it that it is capable of, this is a very great deal. There is nothing wrong with the cars other than the emissions issue, and getting paid to keep a car you love, well how can it get better than that.
It's unclear whether you will be able to keep it. If VW can't fix it, then they'll have to buy it back from you. I'm guessing you won't get the $10k (or whatever) unless you agree to the buyback.

You would get compensation for either buy-back, or have the car fixed. But no comp if you keep your car the way it is, without fixing emission control.

Quote:
But now, given the company's two options, we'd be crazy to keep it. According to the settlement, owners can elect to have Volkswagen buy back the car for a price reflecting the September 2015 value, right before the diesel story broke. For drivers taking the buyout, the company will also pay "additional compensation" of between $5,100 and nearly $10,000, depending on the vehicle. The combined payout for my 2010 model is $14,775 to $16,607

Quote:
Karl Brauer, senior analyst at Kelley Blue Book, thinks owners will also appreciate not "being forced down one pathway" by also having a second option, which is to wait to see if the EPA will approve an engine fix and then deciding whether to accept it. (This group will also receive the additional compensation of up to $10,000.) The modification, however, could reduce the engines' performance and gas mileage, experts say. One colleague and happy Golf GTI owner said he couldn't imagine what kind of "weird, cobbled-together plumbing" they'd have to use; he's also planning to sell.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/volkswagen-suddenly-worth-much-more-184100088.html

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Waiting for VW checks to bounce... Cash em fast!

The minute you received it
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
EPA bears a lot of the burden here.

Why should the US move from the European emissions standard on these vehicles? Isn't that enough?

VW cheated emissions in Europe, too.

More than just Europe, they cheated emissions in all countries they sold 4-cyl diesel engine vehicles.

South Korean Government wants to fine them too.

They had some Canucks on the radio today, talking about the U.S. settlement; we haven't got one up here yet. Some were talking how "embarrassed" they are about driving the vehicle, knowing how absolutely terrible their emissions are. That's not over the top at all, now is it?
whistle.gif

My F-150 on its best days likely pollutes far, far more than anything VW has made in the last twenty years.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
EPA bears a lot of the burden here.

Why should the US move from the European emissions standard on these vehicles? Isn't that enough?

VW cheated emissions in Europe, too.

More than just Europe, they cheated emissions in all countries they sold 4-cyl diesel engine vehicles.

South Korean Government wants to fine them too.

They cheated about CO2 emissions on many gasoline engines, too.

This is important in Europe, as EU requires lower and lower CO2 emissions for new cars.

For example in Finland the car's sales tax and the yearly tax on car owning are rated based on car's CO2 emissions. That's why it was beneficial for VW to cheat on the CO2 emissions also. It made their cars more desirable.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/volkswagen-carbon-dioxide-1.3321519

Originally Posted By: Garak
They had some Canucks on the radio today, talking about the U.S. settlement; we haven't got one up here yet. Some were talking how "embarrassed" they are about driving the vehicle, knowing how absolutely terrible their emissions are. That's not over the top at all, now is it?
whistle.gif

My F-150 on its best days likely pollutes far, far more than anything VW has made in the last twenty years.

Yep, that's why I don't pay much attention to this mess. VW screwed up and ought to pay; but in the scheme of things, the actual "crime" pales in comparison to what is legally emitted.

Interesting article that I came across, from a TDI reflector. "Europe's love affair with diesel cars has been a disaster"

Originally Posted By: Garak
whistle.gif

Well your truck is 30 years old.... Thank goodness that modern cars don't pollute like those old 30 year cars/trucks and automakers are not allowed to pick and choose which emission rules they decide to follow.

To put it in perspective VW emissions were said to be 30x as much as they were supposed to be. 475,000 cars x 30x = ~14 million cars! That's almost as many cars and light trucks that are sold in the US in an entire year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: philipp10
I hope it puts them into bankruptcy.....I absolutely hate that arrogant company. Over-engineered junk IMO.

You are right, we need all the tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands that are employed here in the USA from the manufacturing plant level down to the dealership level out of a job and on the dole. Only makes sense they go bankrupt and not given a chance to make it right and recover on their own.

Screw those people and all their families.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
I hope it puts them into bankruptcy.....I absolutely hate that arrogant company. Over-engineered junk IMO.

Wow..thats a lot of hate LOL

Do you feel the same with General Motors due to the ignition switch recall?
What was it, 124 deaths? The worst part was GM was aware for at least a decade prior to the recall being declared.
Do you wish they would shut their doors and put everybody out of work?

In Germany, the Press gets a little bit angry about VW in the last days because they pay these high compensation in the US and in Germany.... nothing.

I am curios where this all ends.

Originally Posted By: ChristianReske
In Germany, the Press gets a little bit angry about VW in the last days because they pay these high compensation in the US and in Germany.... nothing.

I am curios where this all ends.

Two three months ago CARB and EPA rejected the first VW compensation proposal, that one was much less generous than this.

German Government should pressure VW in giving German owners better compensation.

Last edited:
German Goverment is pressing VW into NOTHING. VW still get pamperd and untouched by the law and the german ministry of transportation.

VW is to big to fail, pays to much taxes and have way to much employes direct and at the supliers here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back