VW TDI Wagons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard that the Passat wagon PD TDI gets pretty bad mileage on short trips. It is definately more suited for the highway anyway because it's pretty big by VW standards. There's no dipstick apparently so you'll need a computer to check ATF level.

Anyway, if you buy a new VW pay the extra cash for a VAG-COM reader and a factory manual. The Bentleys are quite good manuals but can be rather frustrating as well since they tell you to give up and take the car to the dealer.
frown.gif
VW uses a lot of one time use stretch bolts too so you need to have these on hand. If you change the timing belt without changing these bolts you are going to end up with a broken engine block.
shocked.gif

Steve

If they made the Passat TDI Wagon with a stick I would be REALLY interested! Does anyone know if this is planned? How BAD is the auto? I HATE AT's!

The "Mexican" Jetta TDI Wagon does come with a manual - where are the engine and trans assembled?

You see I may some lengthy commutes ahead of me and a small diesel has huge appeal to me.

TooSlick?

Pablo.

Just a brief FYI,, Jetta wagons come from Germany. Jetta sedans come from Mexico.

Most TDI engines are made in Germany and most of the North American transmissions come from Argentina. There are exceptions naturally. VW is one of the most globally produced automobiles I have experienced.

And if you're not familiar, the first digit of the serial number is the country of manufacture.

For the A4 chassis VW's sold in the USA, look for:
3VW = mexico
9VW = brazil
WVW = Germany

I'd also like to know when/whether the DSG is coming to the USA and if it will go into a TDI wagon.

Thanks Fowvay - TooSlick had posted "Jetta" is made in Mexico but we weren't differentiating sedan vs. wagon.

Based on this I am leaning toward the Jetta wagon.....my life has changed a LOT in the last two months! If things come through I will be seeking a new vehicle - we shall see, God willing!

It seems I am leaning towards a diesel vehicle and I know I want a manual tranny. I don't want a big 'ol truck (handy for sure, but not that great for any commute) - I'm sure patience is a virtue here - but the old Volvo may go at any time!

quote:

Originally posted by bulwnkl:
I'd also like to know when/whether the DSG is coming to the USA and if it will go into a TDI wagon.

According to the 6/05 issue of Automobile mag in front of me, the DSG option($1,075)is now available initially in the '05 New Beetle TDI(also in '04 TT 3.2Q, new A3 and hopefully trickle down soon to other VW models like the remaining A4 platform J wagon, etc)..albeit without the Audi paddle shifts. So this you still need to push-n-pull thru the 'ol Tiptronic shifter.
frown.gif

Well at least you'll have fun with the Sports mode to wind up the 4,750rpm TDI redline though..
grin.gif

When ULSD fuels will be up and running starting in '06 on, for sure my next ride then will be a TDI/DSG PQ46 variant/wagon..by then w/paddle shifts.
cheers.gif

Slightly off topic but...
I saw a brand new Passat TDI with local dealer plates in Berkeley California 2 days ago. What gives?

TDI's can be expensive to maintain.Timing belt changes every 40K
rolleyes.gif

Sure they get good mpg's but you pay a premium for it
wink.gif

Pablo,

The five speed "tiptronic" first came out in the Passat and Audi A6 in 1998. It has proven to be an excellent transmission and fuel efficiency with the stick won't be much better. You can shift this transmission manually if you like.

The low end torque characteristics of the TDI - peak torque is at approx 2000 rpms - make it an ideal match to an auto trans. This is not some engine that you want to rev anyway. The TDI diesels have a soft response on initial throttle "tip-in" and are actually easier to drive smoothly with the auto trans - or maybe I'm just getting old and can't drive a stick anymore.

The German made Passats are fairly comparable to the Audi A4 in terms of build quality and they slot between the A4 and A6 in terms of size. Wheelbase is approx 106" and the car is about 188" long and 70" wide.

My sister has a 1999 Passat (she's running the Amsoil 5w-40 and oversized "SDF-15" filters) and the car has held up very well. I'd buy one, but I'd wait for the new model due this fall. It's a even nicer car ....The engine of choice in this case would be the new 2.0L, direct injection turbo, with 200 Hp and 207 ft-lbs torque @ 1800-5000 rpms!
smile.gif

Tooslick

Paul,

Be very cafeful of diesels in the next 2 years. I've been doing some reading and the new ULSD looks like it will be higher in cost. I'm not sure what the scoop is with it, but currently diesel at these prices is barely cost effective when compared to a small turbo charged gas engine.

For instance the 1.8T in the Jetta's will get over 30 on the highway. Combine that with the extra cost of the TDI engine(like $2000) it will take a long time to make up the difference.

You also have the headaces of diesel fuel, if you wife gets gas she will be B*tching cuase it stinks(mine does anyhow)

I still like diesels and think in the next 2-4 years you will start to see more, but during this transition period it's gonna be hard.

To quote this months Light and Medium Truck article:

"Tom Kloza, editorial director fo the Oil price Informatino Service, said ULSD could cost 50 cets a gallon more than the price of traditional low sulfur diesel."

Just to dispell a few myths:

TDI option is a $1100 premium, not $2000.

TDI timing belt change interval is as follows:

for MY 98 through 2001.5, the automatic transmission cars used a 40,000 mile interval due to a larger injection pump plunger (11 mm vs. 10 mm) which created greater stress on the belt. The manual transmission cars used 60,000 mile change interval.

for MY 2001.5 through 2003, the timing belt change interval is 80,000 miles. The change is due to a stronger belt and tensioner.

for MY 2004 to present, the timing belt change is 100,000 miles. The change is due to the fact that the engines no longer use belt driven injection pumps and therefore the stresses put on the belt are greatly reduced.

It's my understanding that you're interested in a TDI model. The 2.0 liter, 200 hp model is a gasoline engine.

The Jetta/Golf/Beetle (A4 and A5 chassis) get a 1.9 liter, 100 HP, 177 lb.-ft diesel engine.

The Passat (B5.5 chassis) gets a 2.0 liter, 134 hp, 247 lb.-ft diesel engine. The new B6 Passat most likely won't have a diesel engine at it's early introduction.

Volkswagen has not committed to whether they're going to have a A5 chassis Jetta wagon any time soon. If you're serious about getting a new one then you'd probably want to find one of the remaining A4 chassis wagons.

Michael, that ULSD comment really got my attention. Where did you read that price projection ?

Thanks FOWVAY for sharing your knowledge of the TDI. I would sure like to have one and make my own fuel for it here at the shop !

My 88 Olds Quad 4 died the other day and walking or waiting for a ride from my wife and daughters is really getting old and hot here !
offtopic.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Michael, that ULSD comment really got my attention. Where did you read that price projection ?

Terry, this months Light and Medium truck has about 3 pages worth of comment on this.

Basically what they are saying is the Governement is projecting a 5-7 cent increase. But the article goes on to say transporting this stuff is going to be hard, main reason is because the lines also carry home heating oil and Jet fuel can contain up to 5,000 ppm and 3,000 ppm of sulpher respectively. So you can't mix the Diesel and those products.

Basically they said it could be 3 or 4 years before the cost can come down.

There's a comment from the president of Freightliner that predicts $3/gallon for Diesel.

If this is the case, the higher effecieny of the diesel will be more expensive becuase of the fuel.

Even at this rate, the cost of diesel is marginally acceptable (to me) as compared to a really effecient gas car.

The way I see it, it will be 2010 before diesels become viable as superior transportation in the US. Until then it's just going to be to iffy when you look at
#1 Diesel fuel Cost
#2 EGR problems from soot
#3 Quality of Diesel fuel
#4 Commitment of Auto makers to bring diesel to the marketplace

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:

Thanks FOWVAY for sharing your knowledge of the TDI. I would sure like to have one and make my own fuel for it here at the shop !

That really would be the key. But I've read some of the home made fuel can be tough on the fuel lines and such. That's what scares me from trying it.

There is a $2000.00 premium for the diesel option in the new Jetta TDI - it does cost about the same as the 2.0L gas engine turbo. However when the new diesel emissions requirements take effect in 2007, the price of aftertreatment controls is expected to add an additional $1500.00 per engine.

Buy your diesel VW now and hold out for the ULSD fuel next year.

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
Volkswagen has not committed to whether they're going to have a A5 chassis Jetta wagon any time soon. If you're serious about getting a new one then you'd probably want to find one of the remaining A4 chassis wagons.

It was mentioned in an article in Detriot News that the new Jetta Wagon will not be available before late 2006.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/insiders/0505/10/C01-176834.htm

Some news for an "Allroad" Jetta in the pipeline from The Car Connection..

VW Promises Jetta-Based Crossover

Automotive News reports this week that VW is planning a new Mexican-built crossover vehicle that will join its lineup as a distinct model line. The new all-wheel-drive wagon will show up at Volkswagen dealers in the 2007 model year, and will be based on the Jetta, but will not be marketed as a Jetta Wagon. The vehicle would feature the Jetta's powertrains including VW's new direct-injection 2.0-liter turbo four and a new V-6 also outfitted with direct injection, a new technology that can boost fuel economy. VW will build the new vehicle alongside the New Beetle and the Jetta inPuebla, Mexico, likely by the end of next year.

Btw, the correct model designation of the new Passat is "PQ46", not "B6" as most are led to believe..

[ May 10, 2005, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: vwoom ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back