VW Switch from Castrol Edge Professional to Mobil 1??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first BITOG post!
I was at my VW dealer buying an oil filter and they mentioned VW has dropped Castrol and is now going to Mobil 1... is this true? I can't find anything online about it.
Since I'm about and hour away from the dealer, I do my own oil changes on my ‘17 Jetta 1.4 5sp, and use an OEM filter and have been using GC 0w40; I bought the last 4 jugs on clearance at CT a while back for Can$29, and am now down to my last one. I'm wondering, do I go to Mobil 1 0w40, which I can get at CT pretty easily, or use LM Leichtlauf 5w40 or something else German, which i can buy across the border in Maine? Will the dealer be using 5w40 M1, like they did with Castrol Edge? I think a 502.00 0w40 will always be better than a 5w40 for our climate and for the turbo.
Thoughts?

welcome2.gif
to the asylum!

I was at my VW dealer buying an oil filter and they mentioned VW has dropped Castrol and is now going to Mobil 1... is this true?

Yes it is indeed true. VW isn't the only one who dropped Castrol either. Here's a thread that gained a fair bit of traction.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...w-vw-branded-oil-have-a-look#Post5337159

I'm wondering, do I go to Mobil 1 0w40, which I can get at CT pretty easily, or use LM Leichtlauf 5w40 or something else German, which i can buy across the border in Maine?

I'd personally stick with what you're doing right now. Since you're up north in Canada close to the ocean I'd keep with the 0w40.

Will the dealer be using 5w40 M1, like they did with Castrol Edge?

That's tough to say. Call your dealership and ask. I know in the States, I've never seen a VW dealership use anything but 5w40 for cars that called for it. Like I said, just call and ask.

I think a 502.00 0w40 will always be better than a 5w40 for our climate and for the turbo.

Agreed.

Theres a huge thread on this already, seems it happened awhile ago. Sad really as I hate Mobil products and prefer Castrol or Pennzoil personally. Not that I was ever planning to use the "Certified" VW oil in my Passat anyway...

It varies per dealer. The one time I took my GTI to the local dealer for an oil change since I was too lazy they used Pennzoil Platinum Euro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back