VW recalls Jettas for sizzling tailpipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
it just makes sense that products should be as safe as possible/reasonable. people don't expect a tailpipe to be sticking so far out that you could hit your leg on it.
people w/ hitches need to take some personal responsibility and make sure their vehicles are safe. same principle with bumper height laws and laws on how far a tire can protrude from the fender.

It amazes me as well that some people would take it as a PERSONAL INSULT because of a useful product on a vehicle.

Why is this? Do you honestly think that highly of yourself?

It's not the "exhaust pipes" being recalled.

It's the chrome slip on tips VW sells as an add on. They slip on the stock pipes and you screw them down.

I think it's a stupid recall, but whatever.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
people w/ hitches need to take some personal responsibility and make sure their vehicles are safe....

But then where would they put the giant plastic duck head hitch ball cover with the light up red LED eyes? Or the similar giant plastic (UT mascot)Bevo head with razor sharp hard plastic horn tips? That and everyone would be able to see where they mounted their....ummmm....plastic replicas indicating that their truck is not a gelding.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
It amazes me as well that some people would take it as a PERSONAL INSULT because of a useful product on a vehicle.

Why is this? Do you honestly think that highly of yourself?

x2. How bout not walking through parking lots drunk at college, that might help. I've walked into people's mirrors at night after class but I don't rip off their mirror. Stop crying.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
It amazes me that people here are saying that we need to take stuff off the car/truck because it inconveniences them?

I would question that statement too, as it's not a matter of inconvenience for anyone other than the owner of the hitch.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Well I don't know, some how two cars have managed to rear end my Dad's F150... If he didn't have the big load balance, anti-sway hitch in there, they would've damaged his truck. It's 100% their fault and they got 100% of the damage, sounds pretty fair and makes things simple for my Dad with no need to make a claim.
I keep my hitch in the Tracker all the time too, partially for this reason and partially so I don't have to remember to put it in if I'm picking up a trailer.

I don't know how much surface area your father's hitch has, but a typical ball mount is not going to prevent any damage. It'll just punch through whatever it hits or whatever hits it.

I kept my ball mount in a storage area when I had my Pathfinder. The receiver hitch would reduce or prevent bumper damage in an impact whether I had the mount attached or not.

Originally Posted By: rpn453
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Well I don't know, some how two cars have managed to rear end my Dad's F150... If he didn't have the big load balance, anti-sway hitch in there, they would've damaged his truck. It's 100% their fault and they got 100% of the damage, sounds pretty fair and makes things simple for my Dad with no need to make a claim.
I keep my hitch in the Tracker all the time too, partially for this reason and partially so I don't have to remember to put it in if I'm picking up a trailer.

I don't know how much surface area your father's hitch has, but a typical ball mount is not going to prevent any damage. It'll just punch through whatever it hits or whatever hits it.

I kept my ball mount in a storage area when I had my Pathfinder. The receiver hitch would reduce or prevent bumper damage in an impact whether I had the mount attached or not.

Gearbox%20008_small.jpg

It's one of these ugly things, the two cars that hit it weren't going that fast, enough to jolt the truck a bit but not push it forward. Anyways it seems to reach into a the average bumper far enough to find something solid to stop the car before any real contact to the rest of the truck. Who knows, maybe it saves the guy behind some cash as all they had to replace to look like new again was the bumper cover, not the grill/hood/headlights of actually hitting the trucks bumper.

It amazes me that people here are saying that we need to take stuff off the car/truck because it inconveniences them?

Most folks would be far better off to watch their own self first before pronouncing judgement on a pickup truck owner just because we have a hitch.

Amazing.

For sure. Its amazing how many folks think twice when they decide to tailgate behind someone with a hitch. Would suck for them to get a ball puncture in the middle of their radiator.

A good reason why my hitch is locked on. So some dork can't decide he doesn't like it and throw it away!

Back on topic, my wife just burned herself the other day on our pipes. Who do we sue?

Yeah but then they will just punch or kick your vehicle instead. No win scenario.

Next recall....all manufacturers..

All black cars to be recalled and painted white, because they get hot in the sun and someone leaned on one and burned their sensitive tush.

I don't think that's it at all.

Where I come from if you steal something it's wrong. Period. Even if it was just "a little fun".

He's actually very lucky the owner never caught him.

I agree. Don't take things that aren't yours.

Even if it's an emergency, trying to help 1 person's life does not justify endangering everyone else or worse yet hurting another for the sake of another.

Why do ambulance and police cars have lights? Just to look at?

It's for other motorists and pedestrians to be ALERT and get out of the way so no one gets hurt and the 'emergency' can be seen after by those responsible.

If everyone simply practiced yielding to others, and did take personal accountability instead of being in a hurry to blame the other party...we'd all be more content and able to 'settle' disagreements even if we didn't like it and felt like it was pulling teeth to do so.

The important thing to ask yourself is this: What decision did I make in the end?

An important followup and one that must be asked is, what did I learn from the outcome?

Getting what you want or expect doesn't ...or not, does not necessarily equate to failure or not. You may fail to get what we want or thought you needed, only to end up with a better outcome.

Only you can choose to murder, steal, cheat, lie, etc etc. It's up to you. There are much worse 'living the double-life' and causing others untold suffering which is where giving way to the former could lead a person.

My experience related to the OP:

When I was a little kid I got to ride a motorcycle for the first time.

I didn't know about the muffler being really hot and wasn't warned ahead of time. I got burned after the ride was over, not wearing pants, you know the story.

Did I hate the person that invited me for a ride because of that? No.

Yes, the injury hurt but it wasn't something deliberate or intentional. While one 'could' blame the parent or older person, I'm sure they felt bad enough seeing what happened.

I remember the fact that this person gave me an awesome learning experience and I got to ride(and drive, by the way !!) a motorcycle.

It was cool, and I felt good about the experience overall, no regrets. Our skin can heal, we get callouses from playing the guitar, etc. How about pride and feelings? Only if we put too much importance on putting ourselves, our ideas and personal opinions ahead of everyone else and refuse to yield.

All that being said...if VW sees an issue and wants to 'fix' it, props to them for at least bringing it up, even if they didn't feel obligated to cover the costs themselves.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

not wearing pants, you know the story.

no, I don't think I do...

wow, that sounded weird.

I should have said I was wearing shorts at the time and wished later I had pants on, so the exhaust wouldn't have burned a 3-4 inch 'sear' into my calf.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back