VW Polo GTI factory fill dump 2300kms (filter pictures)

Hi guys,

I bought a new Y21 Polo GTI and thought I'd do an early dump of the factory oil to the dismay of many members of a Polo forum I'm in. I want to keep the car and care for it so will be carrying out 7500km changes as opposed to the 15000km spec. I bought a service plan so they will do the 15, 30 and 45k (km) and I'll do the ones in between. I wanted to do an early dump and filter change (yes I know it's controversial) to get rid of potential particulates that could alude the filter. The filter did do a great job as seen in the pics below and capture a heap of FOD some quite large and made up of different material. There was casting slag (Grey flakes), bright blue particles, bright red particles and shards of aluminium. I'm glad I did this early. The next will be at 7500km. I used the VW502 spec oil as specified in the manual and on the sticker under the bonnet. I used Castrol Edge 5W40. I have to say this was the easiest oil change I have ever done.

IMG_8428.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8431.JPG
    IMG_8431.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8432.JPG
    IMG_8432.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8433.JPG
    IMG_8433.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 33
I'd guess the blue and red particles are sealant or threadlocking materials. I'm surprised the manual isn't specifying VW 509 00. Nice car by the way - I looked at getting one a couple of years ago but they simply could not be had due to engine supply issues.

I'd guess the blue and red particles are sealant or threadlocking materials. I'm surprised the manual isn't specifying VW 509 00. Nice car by the way - I looked at getting one a couple of years ago but they simply could not be had due to engine supply issues.
Thanks weasley. Yes sealants is what I was thinking too. Shame about the engine supply issues. Was Covid the cause of the engine supply issue? My car is a South African made Polo so doesn't have the particulate filter so I guess that's the difference between the grades.

I changed my VW factory fill out at 2,300 also (miles though not km) I think it's a good idea too. Some people think the factory fill is some special break in sauce but I don't believe that's true for most vehicles, I'd rather get the early break in metals out of there.

I bought a new Y21 Polo GTI

Congrats to you, very nice GTI!

.... so will be carrying out 7500km changes as opposed to the 15000km spec. I bought a service plan so they will do the 15, 30 and 45k (km) and I'll do the ones in between.

Since my Golf GTI uses the so-called longlife service and the OLM usually predicts 25,000 km OCIs I'm doing the OCs at ~12,500 km between on myself. That should be more than sufficient.

I wanted to do an early dump and filter change (yes I know it's controversial) to get rid of potential particulates that could alude the filter.

I did two early changes at 1.500 and 4.000 km. While it's controversal if early changes are necessary or even beneficial, there's at least nobody saying it would do any harm. As a matter of fact, oil analysis after the very first change(s) exhibit elevated numbers of wear metals (Fe, Al, Cu, sometimes Cr) and Si (mostly sealant). These numbers are decrasing with every following OC.

The filter did do a great job as seen in the pics below and capture a heap of FOD some quite large and made up of different material. There was casting slag (Grey flakes), bright blue particles, bright red particles and shards of aluminium. I'm glad I did this early.

What you don't see is what passes the filter - anything below 5 or 10 µm. A proper magnetic dran plug will catch some of that - Fe only of course. ECS and DAP sell them. I custom made my own (including gearbox).

I used the VW502 spec oil as specified in the manual and on the sticker under the bonnet. I used Castrol Edge 5W40. I have to say this was the easiest oil change I have ever done.

You'll guess it, I'm using VW 504 00 due to the OLM set to LL interval, however I'd prefer running VW 504 00 anyway. I'd suggest to do the same. What does your manual say? Is VW 502 00 mandatory?

I'd guess the blue and red particles are sealant or threadlocking materials.

Yes, probably.

I'm surprised the manual isn't specifying VW 509 00.

True, since this engine uses VW 509 00 in Europe. I don't have any clue about New Zealand fuel quality and intervals.

Some people think the factory fill is some special break in sauce ......

I never found any proof for this theory. Not a single analysis revealed any mystery ingredients. That said, many of them suggested that VW did first fills with Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30 (same as SHU ECT C2/C3 0W-30 and Pennzoil Platinum LX 0W-30).

Congrats to you, very nice GTI!

Thanks 930, I am very much enjoying this car having come from a Hyundai Tucson. Nice car but more practical than exciting.

Since my Golf GTI uses the so-called longlife service and the OLM usually predicts 25,000 km OCIs I'm doing the OCs at ~12,500 km between on myself. That should be more than sufficient.

Good work on your own schedule, 25000 is a large period for a high performance turbocharged car so I fully understand why you're doing it. The large sump on these cars helps too.

I did two early changes at 1.500 and 4.000 km. While it's controversal if early changes are necessary or even beneficial, there's at least nobody saying it would do any harm. As a matter of fact, oil analysis after the very first change(s) exhibit elevated numbers of wear metals (Fe, Al, Cu, sometimes Cr) and Si (mostly sealant). These numbers are decrasing with every following OC.

It's certainly piece of mind removing the wear materials especially with such large oil change intervals.

What you don't see is what passes the filter - anything below 5 or 10 µm. A proper magnetic dran plug will catch some of that - Fe only of course. ECS and DAP sell them. I custom made my own (including gearbox).

Absolutely, that was my concern. I want to hold on to this car as long as possible.

You'll guess it, I'm using VW 504 00 due to the OLM set to LL interval, however I'd prefer running VW 504 00 anyway. I'd suggest to do the same. What does your manual say? Is VW 502 00 mandatory?

Yeah only one sticker under the bonnet, 502 and manual states top up with a 502 if required. No mention of other grades.

True, since this engine uses VW 509 00 in Europe. I don't have any clue about New Zealand fuel quality and intervals.

We have to use 95oct or higher fuel and 15k OCI's.

Cheers James.

Back