VW O2J 5 speed tranny at 45k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kaie
In my case i have the 020 transmission. Do you suppose VW took the car and love when making the newer oils to keep them 020 friendly?

Ahhh, the old 020. That one should get a 75w90 GL-4 synthetic gear oil. Of the two, G060 is closer in viscosity to 75w90 but still thinner. You might want to consider one of the Motul gear oils or Amsoil MTG. I know everybody on whoretex is creaming over Synchromesh, and in the O2O it might be the bee's knees... I just think there are better options available.

The funny thing about MTF is what works great in one guy's transaxle might make someone else's shift like poop. So you may be in for a couple drain & fills of several fluids until you find one you like. But I think the G060 will be the closest of the modern synthetic OEM fills for your 020. You can do a [censored] sight worse than to start with it and see how things progress from there.

Shame that the 020 linkage is such a complete PITA to adjust, though... the 02J's is easy peasy pudding pie in comparison.

Nice.. good info.

from the looks of the Cst of Synchromesh it looks too thin to lube me door locks with. =D

One of the fluids i was looking at was actually infact Motul Gear300 75w90.

Are the OEM fluids pretty expensive? The cheapest dealer around [weird they have different prices] for power steering was 20 a bottle. I thought that was sort of high.

My linkage is so loose. I saw a kit that revamps it all.. Either with new bushings $80 or all new upgraded linkage $200....

Last edited:
I've ordered all my stuff from the independent diesel parts place - i d parts dawt com, and IIRC the OEM fluids are about $14/liter. Since you're in Washington, you should check out 1st vw parts dawt com, the internet sales arm of Auburn VW, they are often by far the cheapest place to get OEM VW parts from what I've seen.

The mk4 linkage is such a huge upgrade over the previous designs I would attempt to refit it if possible - I know it can be done on 99.5 mk4s, as they still had carryover linkages from the mk3. No idea if it could be done on a proper mk3 or not.

old i know but Redline MT90 worked well in the suspect O2J 5 spd + even better in my TT same year 2001 O6A 6 spd

Originally Posted by benjy
old i know but Redline MT90 worked well in the suspect O2J 5 spd + even better in my TT same year 2001 O6A 6 spd

Since you're at it, when I had a 2002 Golf TDI, with the 02J, when I replaced the clutch and flywheel, I had Amsoil MTG put in already. Shifted great, even in cold - degree F temperatures in Vermont. Took a few cycles of the glow plugs to get started though.

I had Redline MT90 on my 88.5 Camry V6 5-speed, which was good also, compared to the stock fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back