VW manual transmission. Can I use Mobil 1????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the feedback I've seen on BITOG, I'm trying to figure out if Mobil 1 is appropriate for my gearbox, or if I should definitively use the Redline fluid. I can readily acquire the Mobil 1 product, but will have to order the Redline. Any opinions here??? I suppose this goes back to the whole, 'GL-4 vs. GL-5' discussion......

Thanks,
Ashley

I'm using Red Line MT-90, which is GL-4, in my Audi manual tranny. It shifts very smoothly. I've repeatedly heard that Mobil tranny fluid isn't the best. It's also GL-5, I believe, and I wouldn't take any risk b deviating from the manufacturer's specified type of fluid. If it says to use GL-4, I'd use that.

[ January 29, 2004, 06:55 AM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

Flash, based on my own experience with a 2003 Passat, make sure you can remove the tranny drain plug before buying any new lube. Mine requires a VW tool. Dang!

That 'special tool' has traditionally been a 17mm hex wrench, dunno if they changed it, but I'm pretty sure my girl's 99.5 TDI used that plug too. In any case, you can get it at sears, or for a _really_ low dollar alternative you can buy a big bolt with a 17mm head and a couple matching nuts. Put both nuts on the bolt and tighten them against each other, then use the head of the bolt as your tool.

hth,
Robert

PS: If you're in the Detroit zone come on over and you can change it in my garage.

I don't know how old your VW is but I swapped out the gear oil in my old Rabbit (020 transmission) and put in Schaeffer's 10W-30. It shifted 100% better after that. I am using MT-90 in my Golf TDI but I think I'm going to buy from the dealership on my 150,000 mile change. I never got exceptional results using the Redline products. I never saw a improvement in shifting over the OEM fill fluid. I change at 50,000 mile intervals.

quote:

Flash, based on my own experience with a 2003 Passat, make sure you can remove the tranny drain plug before buying any new lube. Mine requires a VW tool. Dang!

Actually, even more important, don't drain the tranny fluid before removing the fill plug! If you can't get that thing out, how you're gonna fill it?
tongue.gif

The drain plug is a tamper-resistant triple square (16 mm?)on my car.

Hey FowWay, I just wasn't willing to pay $30 per liter for the proper VW/Audi tranny fluid. And the Red Line MT-90 seems superior the the OEM fill in my case.

I agree with the whole idea of making sure you can loosen the upper check/fill plug before removing the lower drain plug. No sense in draining the tranny if you won't be able to fill it.
nono.gif

Gear oils are the one case where you can afford to spend a little more and get something really good ... without spending a lot of money. Using a super-premium gear oil usually ends up costing you $1 - $3 extra per year you own the vehicle. Absolutely insiginificant when you think of the thousands of dollars it takes to keep a car on the road these days.

The old VW drain plugs were 16mm allen-key, I think. As was said before you can check the measurement with a bolt ... and buy the over-sized allen wrench from NAPA. I got one there for less than $10.

--- Bror Jace

transmissions are generally easy to fill if you cant remove the fill plug. just fill it through the speedometer drive cable/sensor. on some vw's , it is actually EASIER to do it this way than the actual fill plug.

also, an even cheaper method to the double nut technique, on some models the drain/fill plug is the same size as the lug nut. take a lug nut off and put a box end wrench on it and insert the lug nut into the drain or fill plug hole.

The whole 'fill' issue isn't an issue because I just have a kind of rubber cap where you guys are saying there's a nut of some sorts. Very easy to get to and remove. As for the draining issue, I'll have to get the 17 mm hex part to do that.

Anyone have a suggestion on where to purchase Redline fluids? I've found the MT-90 on the Jegs website for about $8 dollars per quart. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Ashley

cryptokid, how will you check the actual level of the tranny fluid if you can't put your finger in the fill/check opening?
wink.gif

Flash, it's cool if you have no problem filling the tranny. Just make sure you can check the fluid level properly. I found Red Line products at a local auto supply shop, and I paid around $8 per bottle.

The drain plug on my Passat requires a tool similar to a Torx, but with a different number of points and the plug has a center post where the tool would go. I've seen Torx fasteners like that before, but anyway, it's not a Torx. Dang it!

" ... a tool similar to a Torx, but with a different number of points and the plug has a center post where the tool would go."

Sounds like a proprietary VW-only tool. What a scam!
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

The plug requires a generic tamper-resistant triple square bit that I have even found at Sears. It's expensive at about $25. The best quality bit you can buy is made by HAZET (16 mm tamper-resistant 12 point -- Hazet H2567-16 or VW 3357) for tranny drain plug Try samstagsales.com if you can't find it elsewhere.

[ February 02, 2004, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

moribundman: If it was that easy, I would have done it. Although I don't remember with certainty how many points there are, I do know it's an odd number. The owner of the garage where I have the work done that I don't/can't do, looked through all his catalogs and didn't find a match.

Well, I see the proper bit at samstagsales.com. Every shop specializing in VW/Audi will have it, too. It's just a 12 point bit with a hole!

Here is the bit you need: Matra (VW) 3357, 16 mm triple square (12 point). If that info doesn't help you, then I really can't help you.
wink.gif

-

Are we just talking about the Passat here? I thought my Jetta (99.5) just took a 17 mm Torx......

Hmmmm.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back