VW Jetta 2.0 Liter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My oil consumpution is just a little over a quart over 1000 miles.... any suggestions on Cause/Remedy?

crushedcar.gif

It is a 2002 has 33,000 miles on it. Of course the Dealer say's perfectly Normal, I don't believe it, any engine that loses that much oils is not proper.

The 2.0 engine is an old design and is known to consume more oil than average. VW does have a Tech Service Bulletin (TSB) for this issue. You should ask the dealer about it.

If there's nothing they can do, you can try thicker oil. 10w-30 or 10w-40.

My father had a leased 2.0L Jetta that used to burn about the same. VW said it's because we're not using the recommended oil, which is dino 15W-40, even in the middle of winter.

I'd recommend trying Amsoil 10W-40, that seemed to burn the least out of all the oils we tried.

FYI, the recommended oil visc. is 5w-40 for this engine (at least for a 2001 model year it is), but can be substituted for 5w-30 if 5w-40 is not available. I know some VW dealers just put the 5w-30 in it.

If I'm not mistaken, the owner's manual also states that up to 1qt of oil consumption per 1K miles is still within norm. I'll leave this without a comment.
rolleyes.gif

I don't have any advice for you other than posting this on VWvortex forums asking them for advice. I'm sure you're not the first one with this problem.

I changed my 2002 with 5/30 mobil 1. It then started to use about 1qt per 1000 miles. Now, I have rotella 5/40 in it, and it uses no oil! The manual does require a 5/40 and it made a big difference with mine. Go to walmart!

richard

This was a great engine until the bean counters got involved.
They have low tension oil rings and VW considers 1 litre per 1000 kilometers normal.( EPA etc )

Well they are idiots. Now the people that are not idiots are the VW tech people that all use 15w-50 and in Australia 20w-50 in their personal cars.

Now I own a 1986 GTI with the 1.8 engine.
It gets 20W - 50.

I also have a 2003 2.0 litre engine.
Its diet is 0w-40.

I have factory manuals for both engines and the theory that the newer engines have tighter clearance is just not true.

I have compared both motors and in point of fact the earlier motor has tighter piston specs ( example ring side clearance.

So you wont get any help from VW so I would recommend that you thicken up the oil and see if this helps.

Nosmo,

I had a 1997 Jetta with this engine that I leased for a year and turned back early. I ran the factory fill for 5000 miles and then switched to a 0w-30 synthetic. I ran that oil for 16,000 miles/1 year of mostly highway driving - including a trip from Ca to Al in the summer - and oil consumption was about a quart.

I honestly don't understand what VW is doing on some of their newer engines. My 1990, 2.3L Audi engine has 215,000 miles and uses about a qt in 5000 miles (running 20w-50) - and some of that is from leakage!

Tooslick

I think 1 quart of oil consumption per 1,000 miles is terrible for a fairly new car. If this was my car I would be really
mad.gif
at VW! In your climate in Tulsa, OK you should be able to safely use a 10W-40 motor oil year-round. If you want to use a synthetic oil than I would suggest a 5W-40 or even 5W-50 motor oil. If you use a conventional oil be sure to buy an oil that meets the latest API specification which is SL. For a synthetic oil I would look for the European ACEA A3/B3 specs.

I am not very confident of VW's quality control. I have just ready too many complaints about VW's using way too much oil. However some engines can require a significant amount of make-up oil and still last 200,000+ miles. In your case since VW says everything is fine I would first try using a thicker oil and if the engine still consumes anything close to 1 quart per 1,000 miles then I would go back to VW and demand that they do something about the problem.

[ November 02, 2003, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Rotella 5w-40 works well, I have it in two 2.0s now. Mobil 1 15w-50 might be really good for you. Syntec 10w-40 or 20w-50 are fine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back