VW is Nuts with TAOS Pricing!

Believe it or not the mfg is responsible for the quality of the car, not the country.

Quality Iphones come out of China because the mfg has chosen to hold the supplier to a high standard.

If VW et al can't produce a quality car in mexico, it is largely their choice. JMO.

yes the manufacture decides the procedures to put in place to control the quality of their cars. But rules only go so far. The local suppliers, even down to raw material, also have something to do with the quality. Cheap metal is still cheap metal no matter how well engineered the final product is.

it’s a double edged sword. You could say because they cut labor costs by moving production to Mexico, they could invest in the quality control. You could also say the workers there have more motivation to work and keep their job.

It’s not possible to reject a bad batch of cars like they can reject a batch of bad iPhones. Apple might lose a few hundred dollars per unit. If VW or any other manufacture rejects a car they lose much more, so they have reason to just deal with after sale warranty work. The end consumer gets the shaft because the dealer says it’s “normal”, the problem is intermittent, or the problem only occurs after warranty is up.

granted I’m not saying the same issues won’t happen with American, German, or Japanese built cars either. Just less likely in my experience.

having owned 3 VW MK7 platform cars, 2 made in Mexico and 1 Hecho En Germany, I can tell you that besides a better quality windshield on the German one, the rest was the same. There were actually more small issues with the one from Germany (heated seat element wasn't completely pulled in, couple of interior plastic trim pieces not fully connected, nother missing 2 clips..

The sub suppliers for Mexican companies are not on an island. All of the OEM's invested heavily in Mexico years ago, even at the raw material level. End of the day, I don't think there is a tangible difference in quality of German vs. Mexican made cars.

I own some really high quality stuff Made in Mexico including a 10 year old Sony Bravia and a a thinkpad T-series. Our 2018 Tiguan was made in Mexico and not a single complaint on build quality but not that old.

I own some really high quality stuff Made in Mexico including a 10 year old Sony Bravia and a a thinkpad T-series. Our 2018 Tiguan was made in Mexico and not a single complaint on build quality but not that old.
I am not dinging the Quality of manufacturing in Mexico, but rather the Economy of manufacturing in Mexico and
what should be its affect on price structure.

For about $2K more, I think the Tiguan 2.0T 4Motion is a better deal.

Agree here. My wife just bought a NEW, Made in Indiana, Outback AWD Midsized SUV/Wagon for $26K out the door before trade.
And my India built (Cleveland engine) EcoSport was around 17K out the door. And that is AWD with a more powerful engine - though a shorter vehicle.

Low 20's is the Fair transaction price on an AWD CUV, paying anything more is hysterical. But as always Your money Your decision.

Note that Honda HR-V are also Mexican built as they use the FIT platform that was moved to Mexico.

The Kia Steltos appears priced right for this segment, but they are still having engine part quality control issues
with a major recall due to piston ring and subsequent engine failure:

Agree here. My wife just bought a NEW, Made in Indiana, Outback AWD Midsized SUV/Wagon for $26K out the door before trade.
And my India built (Cleveland engine) EcoSport was around 17K out the door. And that is AWD with a more powerful engine - though a shorter vehicle.

Low 20's is the Fair transaction price on an AWD CUV, paying anything more is hysterical. But as always Your money Your decision.

Note that Honda HR-V are also Mexican built as they use the FIT platform that was moved to Mexico.

The Kia Steltos appears priced right for this segment, but they are still having engine part quality control issues
with a major recall due to piston ring and subsequent engine failure:

The Taos is low 20's SUV with similar pricing to Kia Steltos and Honda HRV when compare the base models.

These fake SUVs are nothing more than lifted hatchbacks, but we stupid Americans don't want to buy traditional hatchbacks unless it gets a slight body lift, then we go gaga over them because it magically becomes a SUV now.
suv's are stupid. A jetta will do just fine, it can hold alot of stuff

These fake SUVs are nothing more than lifted hatchbacks, but we stupid Americans don't want to buy traditional hatchbacks unless it gets a slight body lift, then we go gaga over them because it magically becomes a SUV now.
Perceived safety over a sedan, easier for families.

suv's are stupid. A jetta will do just fine, it can hold alot of stuff
Agreed. We have a rental Jeep Compass while the Jetta is in the body shop and our Jetta has loads more trunk space and about double the MPG in real world driving. Not to mention more torque and all around better driving experience. I just don't get the SUV craze.

it’s a double edged sword. You could say because they cut labor costs by moving production to Mexico, they could invest in the quality control. You could also say the workers there have more motivation to work and keep their job.
find%2Bsomeone%2Bcheaper.jpg

Same happened when after crisis car harness mfg, was moved to Morocco.. quality decrease..

Compared to a VW Golf the Taos is way more useful in terms of cargo and loading it. Also the MPG penalty is quite minor. VW is doing right thing building an SUV this size for US market. You want a VW Golf buy the better GTI as Golf is done.

I am not dinging the Quality of manufacturing in Mexico, but rather the Economy of manufacturing in Mexico and
what should be its affect on price structure.

Steering away from the light racism for a second:

The BMW factory in Pretoria has a lower defect rate than the BMW one in Dingolfing as well as the Lexus factory in Ontario.

Perceived, not actual. And they are turning out to be much more expensive to operate and maintain over a sedan counterpart, so how is that easier for the average family financially?
Pretty sure the "average family" would be neglecting on maintenance, many dont even change anything except the engine oil.
Everything in my 2.0 was neglected even the motor oil.

Back