VW GTI Redline MTL "sticky" hot shifting

this is a new one to me.....Got a VW GTI 6spd MTX here with Redline MTL (15k miles on fluid ~3 years). When it has been around 95F lately, the shifting has gotten problematic. It doesn't feel like the fluid is getting to thin where you get a really notchy metal-on-metal type hard shift. When the shifting feels bad it feels like the shifter is "stuck" in gear like a suction cup stuck to a wall. As far as I know this is a recent phenomenon and did not exist in prior years of hot weather.

Is this a fluid issue? The car has been modified with a tune, intercooler, intake, etc, short shift kit, stage 3 clutch, etc. It isn't driven that hard, though.

95°F isn't too hard for a transmission, any appropriate gear oil should easily handle that. RL MTL ist already a tad thicker compared to both VW G 052 171 (up to 2012) and G 052 527 (from late 2012 on). While RL MT-LV is probably a better match for both OE fills, from theory MTL 75W-80 should do even better in summer. I'd also check short shifter/shifter cables and clutch first. What year is your GTI?
I'm running Castrol Syntrans V-FE 75W-80 in my 02Q and it's shifting excellently, but V-FE isn't easily available in the US.

Pull and push harder, only kidding! Dump the fluid, you got your life out of it. Freshen things up, start somewhere

Sounds like your car's transmission doesn't "like" the fluid. I would drain it and refill it with the proper VW oem dealership fluid and see how it does.

this is a new one to me.....Got a VW GTI 6spd MTX here with Redline MTL (15k miles on fluid ~3 years). When it has been around 95F lately, the shifting has gotten problematic. It doesn't feel like the fluid is getting to thin where you get a really notchy metal-on-metal type hard shift. When the shifting feels bad it feels like the shifter is "stuck" in gear like a suction cup stuck to a wall. As far as I know this is a recent phenomenon and did not exist in prior years of hot weather.

Redline has a low-viscosity gear oil.

What's that going to do? That is an OEM spec that Hyundai uses in their 7 speed DCT gearbox. It is very thin, I have switched mine to a thicker version that Hyundai specs BEFORE they went thin for CAFE.

https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-85-75w85-gl-4-gear-oil

I think I will be going thicker since I have a bit more HP and TQ now.

What's that going to do? That is an OEM spec that Hyundai uses in their 7 speed DCT gearbox. It is very thin, I have switched mine to a thicker version that Hyundai specs BEFORE they went thin for CAFE.

https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-85-75w85-gl-4-gear-oil

I think I will be going thicker since I have a bit more HP and TQ now.

VW has been using a thinner 75W since the mid-2000's/.

seems backwards to me but maybe RL MTL-LV is worth a try at this point.

If problem only exists when heated, then maybe fluid is just getting too thin and causes the issues described? I like Redline MT-90 in my manuals, even those spec'ed for Redline MTL.

If problem only exists when heated, then maybe fluid is just getting too thin and causes the issues described? I like Redline MT-90 in my manuals, even those spec'ed for Redline MTL.
I thought that too when hearing the original complaint but if it was getting too thin, I would expect everything to feel very notchy like it is a mechanical metal-to-metal feeling. It should feel harder not like a gummy/sticky feeling.

both my 5 spd O2J + 6 spd 06M shift great year around in Pa with Redlines MT-90 2001 jetta + now 2001 TT. lubes take a beating when serving in a FWD vehicle + short shifters can cause issues as well. the OE stuff was crap IMO + manufacturers are specing everything thinner for minimal mpg gains. i know its spendy stuff but i would give the MT90 a go. it may take a thou to get better as was the case with the O2J in the jetta with known crappy syncros!

Sounds like a problem with clutch, slave cylinder, or shift linkage to me.
Does the resistance you're feeling feel similar to trying to pull the shifter out of gear without pressing the clutch in?

We have a winner. It was a clutch pedal mod meant to reduce the dead space of the clutch travel. Once it was removed, problem solved. The heat made things stretch just enough the spacer was preventing full clutch operation.

Back