VW GTI Brake Pads and Rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy's 2007 VW GTI 6MT needs new brakes at 20,000 miles. At the 20k service, the dealer reported that the rear pads are down to 1mm and the front pads are down to 3mm.
shocked2.gif
The rear brakes have been making some groaning noises in the morning, so the dealer's findings do not surprise me.

I went to AutohausAZ and they have Zimmerman rotors and Textar pads for a great price-- $326 shipped for front and rear sets. I plan to replace the pads and rotors at the same time.

I've been told that Textar has been an OE supplier to the German makes for a number of years, and that the Textar pads should deliver similar if not identical performance to the Genuine VW part. Is this true?

Also, I noticed that the rear Textar pads include new caliper bracket clips and guide pin bolts. I was told that the guide pin bolts are one-time-use stretch bolts that need replacement at every brake job. The front Textar pads do not include any new hardware, so I assume that no hardware replacement is needed for the fronts. Is that correct?

I am also open to other suggestions on brake parts.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Lead foot? I didn't change the pads on my echo until 17x000 miles when the calipers froze.

Yup. He has gone through six summer tires over the course of 20,000 miles.
shocked2.gif

A lot of BMW owners like Centric rotors. They're part of the StopTech and Power Slot brands.

Rotors

They look nice and they won't get rusty.
55.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: saaber1
The dealer said you need new pads so you are buying new rotors?

I'm replacing both the pads and rotors. That's what the dealer recommended. The rotors are worn out as well, as evident by the lip on the rotor.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I've been told that Textar has been an OE supplier to the German makes for a number of years, and that the Textar pads should deliver similar if not identical performance to the Genuine VW part. Is this true?

I have never even heard of Textar. Don't know much about VW parts these days, though. From what I know, and it may not be true anymore, the OEM calipers and pads are ATE/Teves/Conti or Lucas. Pads are ATE/Teves/Conti.

Quote:
I was told that the guide pin bolts are one-time-use stretch bolts that need replacement at every brake job.

On my older VW the guide pins were not torque-to-yield bolts. Neither are they on my Audi. At a cost of $28 per guide pin, replacing them at each brake change would be, uh insane? If there are per the dealer torque-to-yield guide pins on current VW models, I'd verify with this with VW, because I don't believe it.

Quote:
I am also open to other suggestions on brake parts.

ATE elliptically slotted rotors and pads. But you won't like the prescribed break-in procedure -- or rather the lack thereof.
grin2.gif

Yeah, Textar is a good pad. They supply for several of the German makes. Also look for Mintex brand pads. I'm very happy with Mintex.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
No Centric recommendation Mr. Critic? Last year you thought they were the best thing ever. just curious.

Dunno, this is a performance application. I'm not sure if Centric is good in this area.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Dunno, this is a performance application. I'm not sure if Centric is good in this area.
21.gif

Centric, Zimmermann, Brembo, Balo, and Ate all make good brake rotors.
55.gif

What I'm saying is that since the oem brakes lasted only so short, why go oem again? I'd take a chance on store pads and the old rotors. The "lip" on the edge doesn't mean anything.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
What I'm saying is that since the oem brakes lasted only so short, why go oem again? I'd take a chance on store pads and the old rotors. The "lip" on the edge doesn't mean anything.

The rotors are definitely worn out. The lips just confirm it.

Brake life is important, but not that important. Given the application, is there a pad that will be superior to the OE pads in terms of performance and durability?

20,000 and new brakes all around? That's fast wear, esp for the rears!
Might as well get cheap plain aftermarket rotors and the best pads at that replacement schedule.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I have never even heard of Textar. Don't know much about VW parts these days, though. From what I know, and it may not be true anymore, the OEM calipers and pads are ATE/Teves/Conti or Lucas. Pads are ATE/Teves/Conti.

The OE supplier for the rear pads is TRW. Not sure on the fronts, but they are probably Textar. Textar is the only OEM pad that I can find from worldpac.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
On my older VW the guide pins were not torque-to-yield bolts. Neither are they on my Audi. At a cost of $28 per guide pin, replacing them at each brake change would be, uh insane? If there are per the dealer torque-to-yield guide pins on current VW models, I'd verify with this with VW, because I don't believe it.

Yes, the guide pin bolts do need to be replaced at each brake service. Here is a picture of the OEM TRW rear brake pad kit. Notice that the pad kit includes new caliper bracket clips and guide pin bolts.

W01331774162TRW.JPG

My buddy ordered new pads and rotors today. We went with Zimmerman rotors for both the front and rear.

He got Textar pads (OEM) for the front and TRW pads (OEM) for the rear.

The grand total was $318 for everything from AutohausAZ. Shipping was free.

I'll keep this thread updated on the results. Since the fronts still have 3mm left, we're going to wait until the electronic wear sensors goes off before doing the front; we're only going to replace the rears for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back