VW Group sold more than 99,000 electric models worldwide in the first three months of 2022 as it was hit by a shortage of semiconductors and harnesses

We liked the ID.4 but it’s a little small and electric still isn’t flexible enough to be our all-around family hauler.

The American tradition of the open road will haunt the transition to electric for years to come. People like to plan trips around destinations, not charging stations.
I liked the free charging deal VW had but most chargers were 50 miles away...bummer

ID4 is a looker. Even my wife noticed one and normally she wouldn't notice a car unless it was driving over her. :p

some popular charging stations are getting clogged with lines now. It won’t be long before the lines suck, unless they install many more chargers

Didn't people have to plan around refueling stations in the early days?

Aren't charging stations going to be as common as fueling stations are today? Once they are on every corner, will planning become much less necessary? [It would be trips across the desert or uber rural areas, yes, but if running up/down a seaboard, is it really going to be an issue?]
Likely so, but the wait time to get a decent charge will still be the weak link. Of course the hype is with possible newfangled battery technology we have yet the grasp the endless possibilities of, lmaoa, but there will still be limits on what can realistically be done.

Maybe its time for auto manufacturers to make their own chips? They make their own engines and most other parts so why not? Maybe it doesn't make sense for the bean counters though.

Last edited:
Had a customer come into our store 2 weeks, still waiting on a Toyota ordered product. Put down a $10,000 deposit on the RAV4 in December 2020.
Definitions of things have changed over time, I call this vaporware.

Well, RAV4s dont come from Indiana, so, can't help ya.

Now if that was a Sienna or Highlander (even Hybrid) she would have it.. everyone likes a RAV4..

Maybe its time for auto manufacturers to make their own chips? They make their own engines and most other parts so why not? Maybe it doesn't make sense for the bean counters though.
The cost to being up 1 semiconductor fab is easily $3B and takes at least 2 years. And you don't even have any people.
Then there is the firmware programming...

Tesla is a vertically integrated company. They are the only car company that codes their own chips. Ford has announced they want to being chip programming in house. I am sure others will follow.

Wicked expensive, and I don’t think they have the volume to save money while doing that. If anything, many of the semiconductor manufacturers went fabless as it was too expensive to run a line—now it is down to just a few big houses making wafers.

Also many of the automotive ic’s are designed for that oem. Each oem is looking for their own special needs.

Back