VW Group sold more than 99,000 electric models worldwide in the first three months of 2022 as it was hit by a shortage of semiconductors and harnesses

Ah bummer, my sister in law was about to place an order for ID4 as they like VW but more over the $10k in incentives between state and federal. Unfortunately backup vehicle is Subaru Impreza simply based on low MSRP/resale to sell in a few.

They drive 30k/year so an EV would be interesting to observe for serving and costs as they run vehicles into 200k+ range until major issues. Their university workplace has incredible charging including Level 3.

Wire harnesses made in Russia, among other things.
:oops: Beats Mexico...
Yesterday my buddy called me while I was tooling around in my Mitsu
He said, "Jim would you please start driving your VW again as the audio is crisp and sharp unlike what you are in now"
Plus, the free charging was a plus for VW.

How much of the new EV model rollout will effectively be vaporware, as no car maker is immune to supply chain challenges.
Seems to me like the EVs would be hardest hit as they would have the densest chip needs vs ICEs.

How much of the new EV model rollout will effectively be vaporware, as no car maker is immune to supply chain challenges.
Seems to me like the EVs would be hardest hit as they would have the densest chip needs vs ICEs.
Absolutely, manufacturers are being hit hard by the semiconductor chip shortage. Some are managing it better than others.
Companies that make ICE and EVs have to decide how to allocate scarce resources. Imagine Ford deciding which vehicles get the chips: cash cow F-150s vs electric F-150 Lightning? They need the profit but also want to get their new products out.

I am pleased that America is bringing some wafer fabs back onshore. But is will likely be another year, at least, until production numbers will approach demand. Ford is taking a super smart approach by bring firmware development in house.
The future is bright!

Vaporware is something that doesn't exist except for "hype". The EVs in question are being produced-except at an unpredictable rate due to the same shortages (chips, etc.) every car manufacturer is experiencing ICE or EVs.

Around the country there are fields and fields of THOUSANDS of vehicles partly completed-but waiting for chips-vaporware or do they exist? They can't be shipped to dealers.

Last edited:
Absolutely, manufacturers are being hit hard by the semiconductor chip shortage. Some are managing it better than others.
Companies that make ICE and EVs have to decide how to allocate scarce resources. Imagine Ford deciding which vehicles get the chips: cash cow F-150s vs electric F-150 Lightning? They need the profit but also want to get their new products out.

I am pleased that America is bringing some wafer fabs back onshore. But is will likely be another year, at least, until production numbers will approach demand. Ford is taking a super smart approach by bring firmware development in house.
The future is bright!
BOSCH has I think two factories slotted for the US.

:oops: Beats Mexico...
Yesterday my buddy called me while I was tooling around in my Mitsu
He said, "Jim would you please start driving your VW again as the audio is crisp and sharp unlike what you are in now"
Plus, the free charging was a plus for VW.
There is going to be a big realignment in manufacturing.
EU is investing more in Mexico than China last time I checked.
Mexico might be big winner here with Russia basically isolated, and China chasing their citizens with robots and drones.

Some of the largest German automotive supply companies, including Forschner, Kromberg & Schubert, Prettl, and SEBN, are operating production sites for components in Western Ukraine, which is currently being shuttered by the Russian army. Leoni is attempting to "compensate for production losses" and "interruptions in our two plants in Stryi and Kolomyja, triggered by the Russian war of aggression against Ukraine."
An analysis of 2020 Comtrade data by consultancy AlixPartners says Ukraine was responsible for about 7 percent of the wire harnesses imported into the European Union. Plants in the cities of Stryi and Kolomyja produce high-quality components for the automotive industry, not just wiring harnesses, giving jobs to approximately 60,000 people. Roughly 22 companies have invested more than $600 million in 38 plants in the country. Most of those plants are close to car factories of German automakers in other European countries.

Vaporware is something that doesn't exist except for "hype". The EVs in question are being produced-except at an unpredictable rate due to the same shortages (chips, etc.) every car manufacturer is experiencing ICE or EVs.

Around the country there are fields and fields of THOUSANDS of vehicles partly completed-but waiting for chips-vaporware or do they exist? They can't be shipped to dealers.
Had a customer come into our store 2 weeks, still waiting on a Toyota ordered product. Put down a $10,000 deposit on the RAV4 in December 2020.
Definitions of things have changed over time, I call this vaporware.

Maybe the article I read was wrong but origin.

We liked the ID.4 but it’s a little small and electric still isn’t flexible enough to be our all-around family hauler.

The American tradition of the open road will haunt the transition to electric for years to come. People like to plan trips around destinations, not charging stations.

People like to plan trips around destinations, not charging stations.
Didn't people have to plan around refueling stations in the early days?

Aren't charging stations going to be as common as fueling stations are today? Once they are on every corner, will planning become much less necessary? [It would be trips across the desert or uber rural areas, yes, but if running up/down a seaboard, is it really going to be an issue?]

Back