VW Eurovan: Loss of Drive Power After 5 Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend of mine has a Eurovan-based RV that routinely lost drive power after 5 minutes of operation.

I figured the transmission was just dead, being a well-known weak link in the drivetrain for a variety of reasons.

We decided to do a pan-drop as a total Hail Mary pass, since a rebuilt transmission goes for something around $3500.

These transmissions are a little weird, and a little genius. The transmission pan drain is not a drain. It leads to the top of a standpipe that stick right up to the level the transmission fluid is supposed to be at. So you leave the "drain" open while filling, the excess will begin draining out, and you know it's filled to the proper level.

For a stupid "filled for life" (not really) dipstickless transmission, this is pretty convenient.

The moment I opened the drain, I knew what the problem was. Too many years working on boats has given me a keen olfactory instinct for when an oil is contaminated with water. Just smells a little "different".

Once I had dropped the pan, I had a Joe Kenda moment:

"My, my, my!"

Yeah. Corpus Delicti.

We ended up cleaning out and wire brushing the entire Interior of the pan, changing the filter, and filling with Maxlife. I know it's not the super-appropriate fluid for this transmission, but we weren't going to waste the time getting Pentosin whatever for a transmission that was likely dead.

Results? Transmission is behaving normally for now. If it lasts the next 100 miles, we are going to do a complete fluid exchange, run it another 1000 miles, and then exchange for the Pentosin stuff if it's still alive then.

And no, it did not get water from the cooling system. He wisely converted to a large air/liquid transmission cooler years ago. The stock cooler is worthless.

Where did it get the water? Good question. Best guess is just condensation from a whole lot of sitting.

Automatic transmissions are one area where I'm completely dumb.

I couldn't tell you if they are or are not.

If those are friction linings, then bless this sucker for even operating at this point.

I might just have to recommend he bite the bullet and get started on getting a rebuild done if that is the case. Sure isn't going to go much further if it is shedding friction linings.

I'm also not sure if those are friction linings, but if it operates fine on MaxLife, I would probably just keep using the MaxLife instead of spending the money on the Pentosin.

This trash heap of a Van beyond transmission problems is known to have timing chain problems in VR6 that is at rear of motor requiring full removal. These Eurovans give VW its perception of unreliable junk.

I hope that issue never comes up.

Life time transmission mud. Oil is best changed on a regular basis, it doesn't keep sub standard parts from breaking but will allow the longest possible service life.

Life time transmission mud. Oil is best changed on a regular basis, it doesn't keep sub standard parts from breaking but will allow the longest possible service life. I worked on forklifts and a major dealerships for 23 years and we worked on besides forklifts fleets of pick ups, sweepers, back hoes, semis etc the customers fleet, any way they are all the same though different as you seem to know.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Appears to have a 2.5 5-popper. So no VR6 issues.

We're just waiting to see what happens with this thing in the long run.

That's good, the 2.5 is actually fairly reliable. My buddy's 2010 Jetta with the 2.5L 5 cylinder just passed 200k.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
That's good, the 2.5 is actually fairly reliable. My buddy's 2010 Jetta with the 2.5L 5 cylinder just passed 200k.

The Eurovan had the older version. Single cam and used a timing belt IIRC, but still fairly bulletproof. Not near as powerful as the 2.5 in my and your buddy's Jetta.

your wait will be short.clutch fragments in the pan=rebuild.
dont drive it farther than you can afford to tow it.
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Appears to have a 2.5 5-popper. So no VR6 issues.

We're just waiting to see what happens with this thing in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back