VW dealership brainless monkeys

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you lose 5 quarts of oil in 40 miles your rear bumpers and trunk lids will be coated with oil. And you will probably see, smell smoke. Also the engine compartment will be a mess

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Do you own oil changes.

I definitely own my oil changes.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Mori,

They actually have the time to test drive each car that gets serviced ?

They take the time, because the test drive is part of the service. On the check list, the test drive is the last item to be checked off. The check list must be signed off before the vehicle is handed over to the customer.

My experience is the Germans take all aspects of driving seriously, including servicing vehicles.

So, FWIW, I find Mori's take on this to be very credible.

It truly is a different mindset when it comes to vehicles over there. One most Americans probably wouldn't understand.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Why is a faulty filter gasket considered to be dealership incompetence? They didn't make the filter. It is possible that the leak didn't manifest itself until she got on the highway.

I mean, I am not a fan of VW service by any means, but I'm just not sure I would blame them in this particular case.

Inspecting the gasket is not hard to do before the filter is installed. And if the gasket is going to leak, this will be visible during the first couple minutes after restarting the engine after the oil change is completed.

It sounds like the service advisor at the dealership simply wanted to deflect criticism away from his service department. But that is, in fact, where the criticism should be directed.

I'm almost positive it wasn't a case of a defective part. In cases like this the Service Advisor will almost always make something up. He's not going to say "the guy who did the oil change forgot to tighten the filter all the way" or "the guy who did the oil change didn't install an o-ring."

Also I'm pretty sure if it lost 5 quarts of oil while driving there would be alot smoke and a considerable burning smell. A a little bit of spilled oil goes a long way. I'm guessing you lost somewhere between 0.5-2.0 quarts. Which, while not an ideal situation, shouldn't damage your engine.

As for technician going on road tests after performing just a scheduled service...almost never happens, especially if it's just an oil change. The guy doing it gets paid peanuts to do just an oil change.

I know guys that do head-gasket jobs and their quality control test drives amount to pulling the car off his lift and parking it 10 feet away.

being familiar with these cars and these filters,I'm going to say the failure was due to overtightening of the reusable filter canister it self. They are plastic and if the tech was new he might have tried to tighten it like a conventional filter.

Even hand tightening can break the canister on these cars.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
are these all cartridge type filters? i seem to remember one of our employees having a newer jetta and it having a weird spin on filter deal.

There are two different configurations for the 2.0T engines. The FSI motors (-2008.5MY) have a cartridge filter, accessed from beneath the car. The newer TSI motors (2008.5MY-) have an inverted canister filter, accessed from beneath the hood.

Isn't there an instruction that goes something like, "Run engine, check for leaks"? Huh? Course, that is harder to do if the car has the skid plate. But I thought the VW gas engines didn't have the skid plate. Am I wrong about that little part?

In 39 years of oil changes I have never had an oil leak after changing oil and filter, with two exceptions:

1. 1975 VW Rabbit that had a defective oil filter mount which the dealer replaced.

2. Stupidly leaving the oil fill cap off.

Originally Posted By: Boatowner
But I thought the VW gas engines didn't have the skid plate. Am I wrong about that little part?

Our '01 Jetta 2.0 has a skid plate.

Course, that is harder to do if the car has the skid plate. But I thought the VW gas engines didn't have the skid plate. Am I wrong about that little part?

The "Lower Engine Compartment Cover" is common on Volkswagens today. It's for better under-body aerodynamics...

Originally Posted By: rshunter
It's for better under-body aerodynamics...

I've heard it also forces a certain air flow pattern in the engine bay to help with cooling.

Course, that is harder to do if the car has the skid plate. But I thought the VW gas engines didn't have the skid plate. Am I wrong about that little part?

The "Lower Engine Compartment Cover" is common on Volkswagens today. It's for better under-body aerodynamics...

It keeps the engine compartment cleaner, preventing corrosion. and I suppose it does help with aerodynamics.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It's for better under-body aerodynamics...

I've heard it also forces a certain air flow pattern in the engine bay to help with cooling.

True.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red

It keeps the engine compartment cleaner, preventing corrosion.

I've seen no evidence of this, even after nearly 17 years of running a VW without said cover. Experience says that aerodynamics and sound deadening are the only effective purposes for them.

Some who've taken the misplaced term "skid-plate" to heart have also learned of their error the hard way. Just because some of them are metal, doesn't make them any more capable of preventing a cracked or holed sump. This is an error I've only been observer to...

It keeps the engine compartment cleaner, preventing corrosion.

I've seen no evidence of this, even after nearly 17 years of running a VW without said cover. Experience says that aerodynamics and sound deadening are the only effective purposes for them.

Do you really think so? On turbocharged models, the lower engine cover prevents road salt from being thrown up directly on the turbo. The turbo body is not an issue, but the vacuum-operated activator can become corroded and require replacement. VW service departments never replace just the activator, but the entire turbo.

Don't forget about the side covers, either, if they are damaged or not installed then the lower covers cannot effectively keep mud and crud away from the engine.

Do you really think so? On turbocharged models, the lower engine cover prevents road salt from being thrown up directly on the turbo. The turbo body is not an issue, but the vacuum-operated activator can become corroded and require replacement. VW service departments never replace just the activator, but the entire turbo.

Don't forget about the side covers, either, if they are damaged or not installed then the lower covers cannot effectively keep mud and crud away from the engine.

It's a case of different needs for different situations. For an atmospheric engine, I've seen no advantage to running with the under-body shielding, between two variants of the same vehicle. In fact, the vehicle equipped with the protection had a secondary air-pump and valve failure. Both of which are within the area protected by the shielding.

I'll admit that the turbos, and their ancillaries, may potentially be more vulnerable to damage. I've witnessed no greater propensity for failure in other's vehicles, of various makes and models, under such operational conditions, though. I can't say one way or the other on a personal basis, as I've never left the under-body panels off of my turbocharged vehicles for comparison.

One thing is that the atmospheric engine equipped vehicles, which have been operated both with and without the shielding, have been used in much harsher environmental conditions than the typical operator might see. This should accentuate any noticeable difference between the two vehicles, but to date there haven't been any. The turbocharged cars would never be subjected to the sort of conditions that I would believe necessary to have an impact on the turbochargers and their ancillaries.

Of course, you've always got idiots who think a Golf should be capable of running the Baja and don't mind trying to prove it...

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: Newtonville
It was their (dealers) fault in any case, probably for reasons they aren't going to tell.

Exactly.

At most US dealerships the test drive after service, if they go on one at all, is a drive from the service area to customer parking, or a drive around the block. At my dealer in Germany, the test drive is a 15 minute drive, followed by a thorough visual inspection, with the car going back up on the lift. A master tech performs the test drive and final inspection, and he has to sign off before handing the car back to the customer.

Don't even get me started on VWoA and US VW dealerships. Telling the truth about VWoA distributor and dealer incompentence resulted in me being banned from http://www.vwvortex.com I was known as Golf Strom and about several hundred other screen names as well due to repeated banning for nothing other than telling the truth about many things.

VW products in general are very very good, and if maintained in a reasonable manner are about as reliable as the typical Honda or Toyota. The real problem lies with VWoA the distributor and its dealer network. For decades they have destroyed the VW name and heritage with terrible choice or lack of choice of models, equipment, and a total lack of regard for the customers.

The US dealer network may be the worst VW network in the developed world. Tech incompetence followed by tech incompetence, followed by surly and or rude service writers and managers, and outrageous prices for non warranty service.

If VW AG was smart they would disband the current organization and start rebuiilding it from the grould up with all new people. Heck there are many folks on VWVortex that would be way more effective in running a VW organization compared to the idiots that have run it for the past 30 years.

VWoA is a shambles.
43.gif
The truth hurts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back