VW dealership brainless monkeys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Boatowner
He sounded like he really wanted to be helpful and wanted me to understand what he was doing and why.

This, along with the fact that he is recommended on the list and is knowledgeable about the cam failures are 3 good indicators IMO. It may be helpful to post a question on TDIclub about that individual shop. A few opinions from people who have actually used that shop may be very valuable IMO.

BRUNO, why use a gates when you can get the whole kit (the only way to do it) water pump, rollers, tensioner, stretch bolts with an OEM belt for a good deal from tdiparts or diesel geek

The cam situation sucks, But NOTHING did better in terms of wear in my PD than mobil 1 turbodiesel truck. Very very low wear numbers. "approved" 507.00 oils caused massive iron wear for me! Why use an oil designed for emissions system protection when you have the flat tappet PD cam?

Originally Posted By: Boatowner
I talked to a Portland, Oregon mechanic from the Fred's list. He told me the timing belt change isn't the real cost so much as the potential cost of replacing the cam. I guess the question then is, Is this a good indication of a knowledgeable mechanic, or one who might be planning to take advantage. I am well aware of the cam problems on PD TDIs, but I also know the failure rate is no where near 100 %. He also said you can see cam failure by scoring on the valves, so I assume this is something he can show me to justify the cost is replacement is needed.

My inclination is the guy is trustworthy based on his overall knowledge of the car and his location on the recommended mechanics list. He sounded like he really wanted to be helpful and wanted me to understand what he was doing and why.

If you're referring to Justin or Rich, then Yes, they are knowledgeable and trustworthy.

I know you didn't talk to Marcel, unless you speak pidgin rasta, but he's also very, very good.

Aaron is a vendor, not a mechanic, but he knows many things because he really listens to the guys who are mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back