VW bugs and just a screen filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I owned a 65 VW which I bought new. I changed the oil every 2,000 miles using SAE 30 and did a valve job around 40,000 miles to guard against the #3 exhaust valve failure. I did a complete rebuild around 75,000 miles and at that time the rod bearings were showing copper so they were worn out. If I remember correctly, VW put a 2 degree spark retard on the #3 cylinder to drop the combustion temperature a bit to hopefully keep the valve from failing as fast.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
I had read somewhere years ago that the VW engine had a very low piston velocity compared to most engines, and that helped the longevity of the engine.

Yeah pretty fruitless to twist 'em much past 4000-rpm in OE trim.

Exceptionally low output (again with original hardware) was another facet of clever Hitler engineering prowess.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1

and VW never modified the engine to fix that. Possibly did not do that in the cooler Germany, just did it in hotter west Texas etc. Since it was "out of sight" of the German engineers, it did not get fixed.
The Japanese would have I think.

Not true, actually. The doghouse cooler, which moved the oil cooler out of the airstream for cylinders, came out in 1971: http://www.vw-resource.com/oil_cooler.html#cooler

robert

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
How's that Edge working for you in your WJ?

It was a bit of an impulsive OCI but I admit I really, really like it. So much so I am about to put a fill in my wife's KIA for a 10k run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back