VW/Audi vehicles and flexible service intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
This concerns VW/Audi cars with a flexible service interval display. I found this info on some other site. Here is the translated summary:

In the gas engines, the oil temperature, the distance driven, and the fuel consumption are measured every 3 seconds. That data is used to calculate engine wear, thermal stress, and thus remaining miles until the next oil change.

I dont think I'd trust that.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

I dont think I'd trust that.
tongue.gif

I never even look at mine. In fact, I've never even reset the service indicator, it still says "service" every time I start the car.
rolleyes.gif

PaJohn , the Audis in the US do not have the variable service interval capabilities, only some Audis in Europe do. In the US, it's pretty much a simple counter from 10K miles to 0. It may also take RPMs into account, but that's about it.

Mori , yeah, this doesn't sound very scientific to me either. There are also specific long-life oils that MUST be used while on the variable service interval. I think Castrol SLX is one of them.

Yes, Pete, they do demand use of special oils. Those must be the VW 503.00 spec oils with the low HT/HS, which would ruin my engine. I've been looking around on a big German car forum, and the extended drain intervals seem not to be questioned by anyone. Only time will tell where all this is going....

offtopic.gif
(
Pete, you're back home? Glad you made it in one piece. Is your A4 still on the ship?
smile.gif

Oh, maybe you should give Lubro Moly 5W-40 a shot in your 1.8T. I hear it's widely available in Europe. I'm going to try it in my 2.8 next time.

offtopic.gif
Yup, I'm back now, just waiting for the car which will get here in another another 3 weeks or so. I miss it.
As far as oil, I will try to have my M1 0w-40 analyzed at some point to see how it's doing before I make a switch to something else. After all, there are a few really good looking UOAs of this oil in 1.8T engines in the archives, too.
wink.gif

I have a 2001 Audi A4 (2.8L V6). I am adhereing to the Audi service interval of 10,000 miles and will have the oil analyzed when I hit 30,000 miles; will report the results.

I purchased Mobil 1 5W30 and had the dealership do the oil change. This particular dealership uses Castrol GTX 5W30 (dino oil) for the 10,000 mile interval for all of their cars.

BTW, if I have to top it off at all, I will be using Mobil 1 10W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back