VW/Audi Milestones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little tired, and should probally get my ducks in a row before I make this post, but we can fill in the blanks and links later.

Here are a few "milestones" I can think of.

Best-selling car of all time, "Rabitt" aka Audi 40.

Multitude of current World Speed Records, endurance etc. as of 2003 at Nuremburgring.

10+ years World record at Pikes Peak.

World Record for MPG in a full-sized car, Aluminum-bodied 5000w/ turbine engine, 200mpg, Coast-to-Coast on 1 tank.

DTM Champions, current and recent.

Speed GT Manufactures' Championship

1st aluminum mass-production car, A8.

1st AWD production car.

1st with fully gavanized body panels.

1st with inclusive service.

4 (or 5?) years running Lemans 24-hour Endurance Race Champions, a record in itself. 1st-2nd-3rd (Lemans is the LARGEST SPORTS EVENT IN THE WORLD) Cadillac struggled to finish 23rd-ish with a multi-billion $ budget.

Only import marquee to compete and win in NASCAR before AWD was banned. (Penskee/Stuck)

Also, the advanced-geometry engines and mettalurgy read like something from Star Trek.

Yawn.

Let's not mention that V2 internal guidence thingy.

Hi,
Audi Junkie - I am an Audi fan too

I nearly purchased a new Audi 90 in 1977 for delivery in Germany (I bought a VW1600TL instead with delivery at Wolfsburg)
At that time their engines were advertised as having the highest compression ratio of any volume sold petrol engine @ 10.5/1 as I recall

I later got a "Rabit" equivalent(Audi 60?)for my wife - she now drives a MY02 VW Golf

Doug

AJ, you HAVE to elaborate on the NASCAR thingy. I was going to post in a joking manner that they didn't have a NASCAR win but you stole my thunder.

http://www.theracesite.com/index.cfm?pagetype=2&form_article=4575

http://europeancarweb.com/features/0304ec_s4racecar/

Audi's U.S. Powerhouse Pedigree
Factory Audis first won in the U.S. with inline turbo fives. These 2.2 liters delivered 500 to 720 official horsepower in the squat Sport quattro for three years at Pikes Peak (1985-87). They were succeeded by circuit competitors such as the SCCA Trans Am 200 (1988 double title winner) and IMSA's GTO category with the fiery 90 spaceframe quattro, which could cut a single qualifying lap with 1000-bhp capability in 1989.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1988/Niagara_Falls-1988-06-26-014.jpg

http://www.racingcircuits.net/France/_gpLeMans24.html

[ August 21, 2005, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
I'm a little tired, and should probally get my ducks in a row before I make this post, but we can fill in the blanks and links later.

Also, the advanced-geometry engines and mettalurgy read like something from Star Trek.

Yawn.

Let's not mention that V2 internal guidence thingy.

Every week can be VW-Audi appreciation week, thanks to the fervour of one particularly rabid, but dreamy, star-struck fan.
At least the fantasy seemed based in reality, like most daydreams begin, mind then drifting off into Neverland. Finally, like after all drug-induced nights of euphoria comes the shattering, unpleasant nightmare of finding oneself awaking to broad daylight in a gutter of reality. Did it really happen? Was it all just a dream? Oh, the pain! And all I can remember is babbling about Audi winning in Nascar and some V2 internal guidance thingy. Oh, my head! Must...seek....help! Scotty!....one....to.....beam....up.....

AJ, maybe I'm missing something, could be, but what's an Audi 40? Looking back at the early to late '70s:

- VW Käfer

- VW 181 Mehrzweckwagen ("Kübelwagen")
- VW 183 Iltis

- VW Golf (I)
- Golf Cabriolet
- VW Jetta (I) (Golf with "backpack)
- VW Scirocco sport coupé (Loshio will say it IS a Golf
wink.gif
)
- VW Rabbit (el cheapo version, pretty much garbage)
Rabbit Convertible

The Rabbit models was the cheapest available version, at least in Germany. They also lacked rust-proofing and the interior was made with really cheap materials. The Golf was made a lot better than the Rabbit, although the first few model years of the Golf (and Scirocco) did rust like crazy, too. Many had the floor boards rusted through after two winters.

- VW Polo (I) hatchback
- VW Derby sedan
- Audi 50 hatchback
- Audi 50 sedan (I'm not 100% sure, but I think there was one)

The Polo, Derby, and Audi 50 are almost identical and differ only in some cosmetic details and available features.

- Audi 80
- Audi Fox (el cheapo version of Audi 80)
- VW Dasher (= Audi Fox)

- Audi 100

- VW Passat fastback
- VW Passat wagon
- VW Santana (= Passat sedan),
- VW Quantum (non-Germany built -- Brazil?) which has very little in common with a Passat, apart from the basic shape.

[ August 21, 2005, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

Hi,
one thing VW must be credited with (along with MB and Bosch) is the almost universal use of elctronic fuel injection. Later of course it was to become electronic engine management
I can vouch for this having been involved in the early test phases in Europe during the late 1960s

This has perhaps been the single greatest movement in technology in the Auto industry and with enormous International ramifications

The latest VW Polo imported into OZ is built in China! A high proportion of Cat systems for VWs and Audis are made here in OZ

Doug

VW made the diesel engine for (at the time) the fastest production diesel passenger car in the 86-87 time frame. Amazingly this turbodiesel engine was in a Volvo. (740) As far as I know VW made all the Volvo car 240/740 diesel engines for the USA. I don't know who made the BMW diesel engines.

I'm also not sure who makes the diesels for current (Europe only) Volvos.

I think this is one of the very best things about VW, sticking with diesel through thick and thin.

Also being the 1 automaker to continuously offer a diesel powered passenger car through the years, even after MB pulled the E300D.

I guess also the first widespread use of their Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) in a mainstream, lower priced mass produced car. (VW New Beetle TDI, New Jetta 2.0T/TDI/GLI, New Golf TDI/GTI)

I will say that VW/Audi has fabulous engines straddled with questionable electronics. Look at the impossible to kill 2.0, while underpowered and ragged on by the public is has lived on and moved up to replacing the 1.8T.

I love my 03 Golf but there are some days I hate it, its a love hate relationship so common with German car ownership.

Isn't this funny: How many people puttering around in an A4 realize their car has evolved from a Dasher?!?!

Then the sister company's Indy car attempt. I think the book was titled: "Porsche - One lap at Indy"

quote:

Audi Junkie:

Late in the 70's, VW found it had no car to compete with the techy Japanese cars. Their stable was the Dasher and 411 thing, etc. They usurped the Audi 40/50 to bring it as the Rabitt to the US market, basicly saving the company.

The Golf (Rabbit) may owe more of its origin to NSU.

http://web.telia.com/~u31614134/K70/eNSUK70.html

The NSU K 70 was a piston-engined car designed to complement the RO 80 (Wankel engined) which had teething problems and was a sales disappointment.

VW didn't push it because the 411 (4 doors and 11 years too late) and 412 were supposed to be their future.

The 1.8 liter VW four was based on that K 70 engine.

Audi killed the NSU name and the NSU became the low-end Audi, which is the Audi to VW connection.

But underneath it was still the NSU.

I too am looking forward to another Audi MILESTONE - changing the timing belt on my daughter's 2002 A4, 1.8T. Evidently you are pushing your luck to not change it at 60K miles, which is about where this car's mileage is at.

Other than having to pull the front end of the #$#$* car off it's a breeze.

Why in the world does today's technology say that timing belts are better than chains? Even our 02 Cavalier has a timing chain.

Yeah, I know, it's a nice car and all that. I guess that they have to ensure some post-warranty dealer work somehow. At least I can do this myself and not have to pay more than parts, but as noted above, it's a love/hate thing somedays ....

Well, the RO 80 was developed by NSU in the mid '60s. The Wankel rotary engine was very modern but also plagues with a variety of issues. The K-70 was planned as a slighter smaller model and without the Wankel engine. VW bought NSU and the K 70 was marketed as a VW and built until the mid-'70s. The RO 80 was sold under the NSU label until about '77.

The Audi 50, VW Golf, and VW Passat go design-wise back to NSU designs from the late '60s.

quote:

Isn't this funny: How many people puttering around in an A4 realize their car has evolved from a Dasher?!?!

Isn't this funny: How many people zipping around in their A4s realize their car has evolved from the record-breaking Auto Union Silberpfeil?
tongue.gif

Service interval on 1.8t timing belt is 90k, iirc. The boys who opt for 60k are revving the heck out of them. As of Audi's settlement, original TB that go before recommended service intervals are covered as is the damage that might occur. I think the 60k thing was for the original tensioner roller, not the updated since ~2000 part.

Well, it's usually the TB tensioner or the waterpump that grenades in those engines, and that's unfortunately the kiss of death for the poor 1.8T and also either Audi/VW V6 engine. I'm also pretty sure that may do-it-yourselfers have made mistakes when R&R-ing the TB, and neglecting preventive maintenance is certainly risky. That those engines are of the interference type is their biggest flaw. Why not timing chain? A belt is cheaper and runs more quiet.

I would replace the TB and associated parts every 4 years or every 90k miles on those engines, whichever occurs first.

quote:

Mud:

I too am looking forward to another Audi MILESTONE - changing the timing belt on my daughter's 2002 A4, 1.8T. Evidently you are pushing your luck to not change it at 60K miles, which is about where this car's mileage is at. ....

Be sure to check out the tensioner and bearing. They're a lot cheaper than a head and some valves.

On the second one also replace the water pump while you're at it. Somewhere in the 120,000 to 140,000 mile range they tend to let go.

The TB went on my cousin's 1998 Passat at 160k. Her husband is a Naval Flight Engineer, go figure. Sludge too. As far as the WP seizing, I look at the G-12 OAT coolant as a possible aggravating factor. If anyone saw the control tests of a WP with Dex vs silicated hybrid, you'd know what I mean. FWIW, our I-5 1986 Coupe GT has the original TB at 205k, WP too. BTW, everything on the digidash works as well. No need for anual bulb replacments.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Late in the 70's, VW found it had no car to compete with the techy Japanese cars. Their stable was the Dasher and 411 thing, etc. They usurped the Audi 40/50 to bring it as the Rabitt to the US market, basicly saving the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back