VW/Audi Milestones

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

moribundman:

.... VW bought NSU and the K 70 was marketed as a VW and built until the mid-'70s. ....

A friend reminds me of the other NSU to VW tie-in:

the Beetle.

http://www.vvwca.com/features/history/type32/

http://user.tninet.se/~xnf969f/htmlfiler/vwhistory.html

http://www.lightauto.com/porsche designs.html

Ferdinand Porsche had designed the Type 32 for NSU to use up some factory space Fiat was no longer using. NSU decided not to go ahead with the project.

When Herr Hitler wanted a People's Car, Porsche dusted off the unused design and after several iterations it became the KDFwagen built in KDFstadt.

Excellent info - thanks. I did not know about the 90k interval - if so, then no need to do it now. AudiJ - you mentioned "Audi's settement" - can you please elaborate a bit?
I agree 100% on doing a complete preventative maintenance job - water pump, tensioner, dampener, etc. Especially for the work involved.
I will say that this is our first German mfg vehicle after many GM years. Light years ahead in engineering design and fit/finish.
I will go back out to the garage now - did not mean to hijack the thread!Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
Every week can be VW-Audi appreciation week.....

News Flash!!..

Here's another fresh VW milestone to add.

A SuperTurbo!
bowdown.gif

-----------

VW Supercharger-Turbocharger Combo Boosts Power and Economy

Date Posted 08-23-2005

WOLFSBURG, Germany — Volkswagen has developed a combined supercharger-turbocharger system that will boost power and fuel economy of small gasoline engines.

The SuperTurbo Compounding system will make its debut on the 2006 VW Golf.

VW claims a 1.4-liter gasoline engine with SuperTurbo can develop 170 horsepower and 199 pound-feet of torque, compared with VW's existing 2.0-liter four-cylinder, which delivers 150 hp and 148 lb-ft of torque.

The system has been developed by American supercharger supplier Eaton. It is claimed the SuperTurbo eliminates turbo lag, while boosting overall power and fuel economy by 15 to 20 percent. Eaton said a car fitted with the system will be shown at the Frankfurt auto show.

VW's plans call for widespread use of the system, starting with a 1.4-liter direct-injection engine that is expected to debut in the 2006 Golf before heading into other VW models. Later, 1.6-liter and 2.0-liter versions will also be produced.

The concept is not new — combined superchargers and turbochargers were common on World War II-era aircraft engines, and an Abarth-developed system was used on the 1985 Lancia Delta S4 rally car.

What this means to you: The new system could be very useful if the growing environmental lobby puts pressure on carmakers to make smaller engines. Fewer cc, but more power and better economy is a potent incentive.
-------------

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=106975

Hi,
please don't tell Tooslick but I think M1 0w-40 will be an approved lubricant in the new VW SuperTurbo too!
It already is factory fill in the MB direct injected Supercharged engines of course

I'm just shearing this little bit of info!!!
wink.gif

Doug

Does anyone have an opinion on the 1995 Audi S6 w/ the 20v turbo motor?

My mechanic drives one with 22lbs of boost. He could drive anything, but drove a beater 5000Tq until a year or so ago. If you don't find any trans issues, the S6 is a great performing car, with no chassis/suspension issues the newer cars have. He still runs the original turbo, BTW. A few drums of Syntec 5w-50 for the shop and occasionally VR1 Racing oil for the Ur-S6. You should check with the guys on AudiWorld before taking any plundge.

Mud, the terms are not clear. Dealer will inspect the TB system for free. If they say it's bad you must do it out of pocket or you are not covered. If they say it's ok, you are covered up to...??? 110k or maybe 90k. Again, don't depend on me, the terms are confusing.

quote:

The 1.8t has a timing chain! It ties the two cams together. The belt acts on one cam only!

Yes, just like the 2.8 30v engine uses a chain between the camshafts in each bank. It still doesn't change the fact that if the timing belt skips a few teeth or breaks, the chance of bent valves is almost 100%. The cam chain tensioner is another week point, at least in the 2.8 30v engine. While I'm not aware of any cases of the chain actually breaking, the tensioner itself tends to leak and also loses tension. That's one of the reasons I prefer the simpler 12v engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back