VW/Audi G13 " mit silikate".

VW and Audis that use G13 coolant have a "mit silikate" printed on the expansion tank.
What that means is that there is a Nylon/plastic mesh bag filled with silicate beads
located in the right side of the expansion tank. These bags have been know to fail and
the silicate beads flow through the cooling system causing all kinds of trouble but mostly
clogging the heater core. People report over a $1000 in repairs if this happens.
Why would Audi think adding this bag to release silicate into the cooling system necessary?
This bag is almost impossible to see if you look into the tank because it takes on the color of the coolant.
It seemed like the down side was a lot greater than any possible gains so I removed the bag.
Any thoughts on why this would be the wrong thing to do.

Because they won't have to pay for repairs after the warranty expires, and I'd wager their cost accountants and warranty statisticians/actuaries have their expense risk algorithm down to nothing.

The cooling system's antifreeze is catered to European pee water and eternal intervals, because that market isn't competent enough to use distilled or deionized water.

This just goes to show that the OE coolant is pathetic, and needs constant supplemental additives, for their so-called long life change interval.

It would be smart to remove the bag of silicates, and use a better coolant with a more safe and sane coolant change interval.

I drain/refill my coolant on my 2019 Jetta every 2 years, getting about 2/3's out each time. I don't have any bead bags to worry about. I use whatever universal Euro coolant from my local autopart store.

Rumor is that VW lowered some of their silicate PPM for phosphate in their EVO coolant, to avoid all the Si clogging issues and failed SCA bags.

REMOVE THE SILICATE BAG. Work in the G12evo or one of the below over the next few years with time or mileage based drain/refill intervals.

Back