VW / Audi 1.8T owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any VW / Audi 1.8T owners ever try this stuff: http://www.pentosin.de/eng/products/lubricant/body_lubricant.html#PENTOSYNTH5w40

I'm currently using M1 0W-40, but the 1 UOA I did on it showed that it thinned down quite a bit. So I'm in search of an alternative, but I'm thoroughly confused as to what I should try.
confused.gif

[ February 20, 2004, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: mpaque ]

German Castrol 0w30 would suit your needs, if you can find it. If not, then I'd use Mobil 1 5w40 "SUV" oil, although if you are still under warranty, stick with an oil that has labels that say it's approved for VW's specs so issues don't get the run around. This is for readily availible over the counter oils.

As for ordered oils,I'd check out Amsoil 0w30.

Yeah I believe moribundman has tried it, but I'm not sure...

In either case, what's the story with the Pentosin 5-40? Wasn't it replaced with the 0-40?? That's all I was able to find at a local shop, but they wanted like ~$70 for a 5L jug so I passed...

The Autozone right around the corner from my office sells GC 0W-30. I was just concerned about using a 30wt oil since the manual recommends 5W-40. I have not seen the 5W-40 SUV oil anywhere yet. I am still under warranty.

Pentosin still makes 5W-40. There are some online sources that sell if for $5-$6 per litre. I've never seen it locally.

The fact that M1 0w40 thins down a bit doesn't bother me in the least; that's how they can say it's "energy conserving". What I'm interested in is how well it protects, which is quite well, thank-you.

Notwithstanding, I'm going to give GC a go on my next OC. I bought mine at AutoZone.

I'd expect both oils to perform well, as UOAs that I've read tend to indicate.

Of course, the M1 0w30-R looks interesting, too, but I haven't seen in on the shelf locally, yet.

If the GC doesn't have the VW spec that you're looking for then perhaps you can try the Castrol Syntec 5-40 (Belgium)...it seems geared specifically to VW specs.

My 2002 A4 1.8T manual specifies 0w-30,so I use GC 0w-30 in my sled for 3 seasons, and Belgian Castrol Syntec 5W-40 in the summer months. The 5W-40 is brewed specifically for VW / Audi. I ordered 6 cases from my local Castrol distributor. If you can't find a retailer (most VW dealers have it), check the yellow pages and find a Castrol distributor in your area. They will probably be happy to order some up for you!

How can I tell if the Castrol 5W-40 is the Belgium stuff? I thought there were a couple of different flavors of the Castrol 5W-40? I did email "ask the expert" at Castrol and they gave me the name of a distributor near me.

The back of the bottle specifically says "Made in Belgium" just like the GC says "Made in Germany". Both will say "Imported by Castrol North America".

I agree on the GC for the 1.8T. It should work very well in that engine. Pentosynth 5W-40 meets the required specs nd is avery good oil. Lubro Moly Vollsynthese 5W-40 is also good and available online for about $5-$6 per quart (could be a liter).

I love the M1 5W-40 (no VW/Audi approvals, but my warranty expired 80k miles ago) in my 2.8 Audi! I'm now officially driving an SUV!
tongue.gif

I have nearly 40 liters of the Pentosin 5W-40. I think it's a incredible oil if you can get it at a decent price. Most places want $6.95 per liter for it. I bought mine from a business that was going out of business and I got it at a incredible price.

It smells great too!
grin.gif

Anything from a 0w-30 to a 10w-40 synthetic will work fine year round, whether you live in Alaska or Florida. The VW 502/505 spec is preferred, with the generic ACEA "A3/B4" spec being the alternative choice.

You could even run a 15w-40 or 15w-50 in temps >5F/-15C, but the thicker lube will reduce engine performance a bit.

I've run 10w-40 and 10w-30 in my 2002 Audi TT roadster and will be testing the S2000, 0w-30 for the next 10,000 mile interval. German car makers recommend 5w-40 for the same reason domestic manufacturers recommend 5w-30. It's a good, all round compromise for year round use.

I wouldn't read too much into the recommendation....

[ February 20, 2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

quote:

I have nearly 40 liters of the Pentosin 5W-40

WOW!! That's quite a bit of oil. Have you done a UOA on it yet? It sounds like I should really stop worrying about the whole 30 vs 40 wt thing and just pick a decent synthetic. I'm in Michigan btw, where temperatures can get pretty cold, 0F and below; or it could be pretty warm too, 90F +

OHHH, my oil doesn't stay in the garage. I have a special shelf in the living room where I keep it on display. I have my Amsoil display, my Schaeffer's display, my Delvac-1 and now my Pentosin.
grin.gif

I was curious how old the Pentosin was since the business that I bought it from had it on their shelves for quite a while. I wrote to a friend that works for Pentosin and he asked me for the number that was stamped on the bottles. Apparently they keep records of the blend and batch numbers and they know the exact day and shift that the bottles are filled. It was pretty neat to learn that my bottles were filled in February of 2002. I didn't know that they kept that kind of record.

I had a man with a TDI come by my house just yesterday and I sold 5 liters to him. At the moment I have it in my Passat but I haven't put enough mileage on it to sample it.

[ February 21, 2004, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: FowVay ]

Or try the Valvoline SynPower 5W 40. I've ran it for over 100,000 miles in my 99' Passat 1.8T and the engine is like new. Did changes every 7-9,000 miles. It was one of the first, if not the first, to have all the VW specs and ACEA A3 rating in 1999.
It's available at any Napa for $4.49 per quart.

I use Mobil 1, 0w-40 and have absolutely no problems with the two late model VWs in the family.
It comes as factory fill in some pretty sophisticated machinery and passes all the VW tests and requirements.
I have no start up rattle, no lifter noise and am entirely happy with my choice.

FowVay wtote:
quote:

OHHH, my oil doesn't stay in the garage. I have a special shelf in the living room where I keep it on display. I have my Amsoil display, my Schaeffer's display, my Delvac-1 and now my Pentosin. [Big Grin]

That's just not right.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Cosmic Flash, Castrol Syntec 5W-50 met the respective VW specs and A3 when I bought my A4 in '96.

[ February 21, 2004, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back