VW / Audi 1.8T owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
I have nearly 40 liters of the Pentosin 5W-40. I think it's a incredible oil if you can get it at a decent price. Most places want $6.95 per liter for it. I bought mine from a business that was going out of business and I got it at a incredible price.

It smells great too!
grin.gif

...makes your exhaust smell like Rahmschnitzel!
cheers.gif

quote:

It's available at any Napa for $4.49 per quart.

Does anyone know what Napa's part number is for this? Everytime I've asked about it at Napa they look at me like I have 2 heads, or say something like "boy, they don't make 5W-40 oil."

I'll be switching to GC 0w-30 (SLX) at my next change. I'm running M1 0w-40 in it now. My '01 owner's manual recommends 0w-30 grade.

offtopic.gif

pscholte wrote:
quote:

...makes your exhaust smell like Rahmschnitzel! [Cheers!]

If they can make my exhaust fumes smell like Jägerschnitzel and dumplings I'll be hooked!
tongue.gif

On a related note, they make diesel fuel from rape seed in Europe. If often notice the intriguing smell of French (or would that be German?) fries when driving in Germany.
grin.gif

That is absolutely true Moribund. You can identify the biodiesel cars as they pass by while you're standing on the sidewalks. They smell exactly like a restaurant. I remember the first time I noticed this I thought that the smell was coming from one of the nearby Imbiss stands that was selling Döner kebaps.

Now when my mietwagen is powered by diesel I always fill up with the bio fuel since it is considerably cheaper. I received a brochure from VW at my last rental through Sixt that said not to use the biodiesel since VW was having problems with their injector pumps and biodiesel.

Another thing that's interesting about bio-diesel is the fact that it's more costly to make than regular diesel, but the tax is so much lower on the bio stuff. And I've heard contradicting stories about which engines run well on bio-diesel and which don't. I always rent cars with gas engines there, though. Not on purpose, but that's what they gave me the last few times: Fiat Brava, VW Polo, VW Golf. No Ford Ka, for Pete's sake! Oh yeah, the Polo was an oil burner at under 10k km on the clock! The day I drove to the Munich airport, I got off the ramp decelerating from top speed, trailing a nice cloud of blue smoke. The car still smelled funny when I dropped it off at the rental place. Well, the engine had probably not been run in well and I may have driven the poor engine to exhaustion.
grin.gif

[ February 23, 2004, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

I used to own a passat with the turbo 4 and really liked that motor. I know have a passat with the v6. I just drained the Mobil 0w-40 and put in the German Castrol 0w-30 and love it! My motor revs easier and is more responsive. The harshness seems to be gone and it just feels like a well oiled sewing machine now. It meets the VW specs as well. I think you would be very happy with the GC! I almost tried the Castrol 5w-40 but took it back after I saw the VOA here. I'm glad I did! The green stuff is some really slick s***!

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
FowVay wtote:
quote:

OHHH, my oil doesn't stay in the garage. I have a special shelf in the living room where I keep it on display. I have my Amsoil display, my Schaeffer's display, my Delvac-1 and now my Pentosin. [Big Grin]

That's just not right.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Cosmic Flash, Castrol Syntec 5W-50 met the respective VW specs and A3 when I bought my A4 in '96.

Sorry...I should have added "in the recommended 5W 40 weight". The Syntec was availble in the 5W 40 weight BUT only thru dealers and at $7 or more a quart.
I believe many folks on VWVortex.com and ClubB5.com have been using the Syntec 5W 50 with good results on their 1.8T's and 2.8L V6's.

I emailed "Ask the Expert" as Castrol and they said the part # for SYNTEC 5w-40 is (#06602). Does anyone know if this is for the Belgium stuff or the regular US stuff?

Tonight I was dumping my used oil at Autozone and while there I found lots of German Castrol 0W-30. It says made in Germany on the back and the 0W-30 label is red. So I'm guessing this is the infamous "gc." I bought a case of the stuff and will try it at my next oil change. It appears to meet all the requirements listed in my owners manual, except for the weight. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. This site is very informative, plus when I talk about it people look at me like I need help
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back