VW 508.88 / 509.99 specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed these fairly recent additions to the VW spec line-up, but I haven't been able to find much info about them as of yet, although there appear to be some oils out there that do meet these specs already.

Looking at the high level spider graphs on Lubrizol's website, these new specs have even more stringent requirements when it comes to piston deposits.

Does anyone have any info on these new VW specs? Which VAG engines require these specs?

Thanks!

Further to my earlier post. VW UK HQ have never heard of 508 or 509.
(hard to believe but I had to listen to their hold music for almost 15mins while the Customer Service Rep referred to his supervisor)
Maybe it's a VWoA only thing?

Originally Posted By: Olas
AFAIK they will supersede 504 & 507.
A phone call to my local dealer was worthless as an information gathering exercise.

Has it ever been a successful endeavor?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: dparm
AFAIK they will supersede 504 & 507.
A phone call to my local dealer was worthless as an information gathering exercise.

Has it ever been a successful endeavor?
confused.gif

For sales and service, no. Never

For parts, however, the Head of the Parts Dept at my local dealer, Graham, has been there for years and years - knows part numbers of the top of his head, and always knows which 'little doohickey clip thing' you mean from a description.. I've never seen him use ETKA or ETOS he simply doesn't need to.

But overall, they're as terrible as any other dealership.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Well being that that site references a 5w40 I guess we know the emphasis isn't on FE.

Well, yeah. If the Lubrizol graph is correct, this spec has nothing to do with fuel economy, aftertreatment compatibility, nor oxidative thickening, which I find a bit odd.

Aren't they using ethanol instead of gas in much of south America? Maybe a different formula is required to better handle the alcohol dilution that is coming to replace the fuel dilution of the old days?

It is largely only found in Brazil at the moment, intended to offer good performance in areas of challenging operational requirements, particularly fuel type/quality.

Aren't they using ethanol instead of gas in much of south America? Maybe a different formula is required to better handle the alcohol dilution that is coming to replace the fuel dilution of the old days?

It's popular in Brazil for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back