VW 504/507 oil - Mobil 1 5w30 ESP vs Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 5w30

Hi everyone,
As the title indicates, I am looking for some insight as to advantages to either of the oils that I noted; Mobil 1 5w30 ESP vs Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 5w30. Both oils are 504/507 rated, however I can't seem to find any head to head comparisons. Are both oils generally similar to each other in terms of quality and engine protection offered?
I have used the Mobil 1 5w30 ESP in the past and I had no complaints whatsoever. With that being said, I would like to take advantage of the FCP Euro "lifetime guarantee" on oil and they don't sell Mobil 1 products so my only option is the Liqui Moly if I order from them.
So what do the experts here think? Is there a clear winner?

Thank you!!

They're both comparable oils, they mostly carry the same extended drain manufacturer approvals based on ACEA C3, the Liquimoly even carries BMW LL-04 which the Mobil does not, not sure if it's inherently better because of that or if Mobil doesn't certify against any BMW approvals because of some corporate politics.

What would you expect the differences be between the two oils with similar ratings?

Last edited:
Anything actually approved for VW 504 is going to be good stuff. If you can get Liqui Moly at a good price, use it. Paying more for it than competing products is not worth it IMO.

One thing seldom mentioned here that I discovered simply by using it, I only 4 liters of Liqui Moly to fill my VW, but I need to buy 5 quarts of Mobil or whatever to get the oil level where it needs to be so there can be a significant price difference there that is often overlooked. Although buying quarts does leave me some top off oil.

Have used 4200 almost exclusively on my 2015 VW Jetta TDI. Almost at 150k miles now and car is running as well as it ever has and getting as good gas mileage as it ever has. (48-49 highway, hand calc).

Not saying the M1 is bad, but Id be hard pressed to claim anything could be better than the 4200 for me at this point.

Same 504 approval and can get it free after the first change seems like a no-brainer to use the LM to me.

M1 ESP 5W30 has ester and higher starting oxidation, so no LL04.
Both oils are always right choice, but ESP was always gold standard in this category.
I personally would go Pentosin Superpento III if looking FCP.

Hi everyone,
As the title indicates, I am looking for some insight as to advantages to either of the oils that I noted; Mobil 1 5w30 ESP vs Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 5w30. Both oils are 504/507 rated, however I can't seem to find any head to head comparisons. Are both oils generally similar to each other in terms of quality and engine protection offered?
I have used the Mobil 1 5w30 ESP in the past and I had no complaints whatsoever. With that being said, I would like to take advantage of the FCP Euro "lifetime guarantee" on oil and they don't sell Mobil 1 products so my only option is the Liqui Moly if I order from them.
So what do the experts here think? Is there a clear winner?

Thank you!!
I was always impressed that ESP 5w30 with a HTHS of 3.7 could also me the FE requirement under ACEA C2.

I also second Pento SP3 but I'm sure LM is fine on a semi-annual OCI. Just make sure you buy vie Ebay otherwise return shipping costs are going to eat into your free replacement with FCPEuro.

I was always impressed that ESP 5w30 with a HTHS of 3.7 could also me the FE requirement under ACEA C2.

I also second Pento SP3 but I'm sure LM is fine on a semi-annual OCI. Just make sure you buy vie Ebay otherwise return shipping costs are going to eat into your free replacement with FCPEuro.
Never had 3.7. Old version had 3.58. This one probably in that range.
Old version also had Noack 5.8%. But old version oxidized very fast.

You mean PayPal - PayPal offers return shipping refunds within 180 days up to 12x a year.

Well ExxonMobil says it is 3.5, so IDK.

Never had 3.7. Old version had 3.58. This one probably in that range.
Old version also had Noack 5.8%. But old version oxidized very fast.
That's fine. I was going off memory from 2010 or so when I had my 335d and ESP had LL04. Maybe it was 3.6 back then? *shrug*

Back