VW 502, 504, 505.01, &507 official list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JAG

A potential reason that Castrol may claim to "exceed" the requirements of "Porsche Approved" is to increase sales.

In the Castrol spec sheet, they claim Castrol Syntec exceeds ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL-01. http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_int..._syntec_usa.pdf

On the back of the bottle, they also claim Syntec 0W-30 "excceds" the requirements of "Porsche Approved". I was just stating that if a major company claims to "exceed" a spec, then that is a term that has little legal ambiguity. Either it exceeds the requirements of the spec or it doesn't! They are not stating "recommended for use" where spec xxx is required (as other companies like Amsoil often do). Castrol claims their product EXCEED the specs listed above. I have no reason at this point in time to believe they are making false claims.

Hi,
JAG - Further to your comments, the original Porsche Approvals List March 2005 for the V6 (VW) powered Cayenne only had the following:

WW not NA - VW503 lubricants (30kkms - 2 year OCIs)
Castrol had 4 lubricants - all were 5W-30

NA - Non VW503 lubricants (10k miles - 1 years OCIs)
Castrol had 21 lubricants - 9 were 0W-30 all others were 5W-40
(No 5W-30 lubricants were on the Castrol list)

Regards

Originally Posted By: VW507 Supplemental info
*All diesel vehicles fitted with R5 (5 cylinder) and 5.0ltr V10 engines and manufactured prior to 1 January 2006, cannot use oils meeting Volkswagen standard 507 00 even if equipped with a DPF. These engines should use oils meeting Volkswagen standard 506 01 (eg. Castrol Professional Longtec LongLife II 0W-30) for both LongLife and Time and Distance servicing regimes.

Why would this be? What do 506 01 oils do better than 507 00 oils in those two engines?

What do 506 01 oils do better than 507 00 oils in those two engines?

VW 506.01 oils won't let the cam lobes wear down to stubby nubs over a short period.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
What do 506 01 oils do better than 507 00 oils in those two engines?

VW 506.01 oils won't let the cam lobes wear down to stubby nubs over a short period.
LOL.gif

Is there good evidence that the 506 01 oils truly are that much better at protecting the valvetrain in those engines or must we just infer this based on VAG's oil recommendations?

I ask because this fascinates me from a formulating perspective. Besides wanting to know what ingredients are responsible for the difference, I'm also curious why those ingredients weren't also used in 507 00 oils.

JAG, low SAPS oils (VW's 504/507) don't work well in every environment. The additives that are reduced in the low SAPS oils are required in some engines that were designed under different parameters.

Long drain interval oils have to combat the garbage that a engine produces which is a result of the dirty fuels burned, high EGR cycles, and simple hot running under heavy load. This is the reason that the 502.00 oil spec has stayed true in the North American market for most gasoline engines even though VW has a newer standard for their gas engines (VW 504).

VW has kept the 506.01 requirement for certain engines simply because it a more heavily additized product and performs better in the high fuel consumption engines or the extremely long drain interval applications.

I had a ongoing discussion with a member here trying to explain why the gasoline engines still require 502.00 only to be rudely dismissed with typical shop floor knowledge. The 502.00 is kept in North America because of the high sulfur content of the gasoline sold here. The low SAPS 504.00 does not perform well when dealing with 300+ PPM sulfur fuels.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
VW has kept the 506.01 requirement for certain engines simply because it a more heavily additized product and performs better in the high fuel consumption engines or the extremely long drain interval applications.

That makes sense. I was thinking that 506 01 oils had same SAPS limits as 507 00, which I see is not true. Online, I found one oil meeting 506 01 that had a quite high 1.3% Sulphated Ash content. This again indicates how it is so hard to reduce SAPS and maintain the same performance in a wide variety of engines.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I had a ongoing discussion with a member here trying to explain why the gasoline engines still require 502.00 only to be rudely dismissed with typical shop floor knowledge. The 502.00 is kept in North America because of the high sulfur content of the gasoline sold here. The low SAPS 504.00 does not perform well when dealing with 300+ PPM sulfur fuels.

Apparently, I'm the guy with the "shop floor knowledge" who "rudely dismissed" the assertion that 504.00 oils would "not perform well when dealing with 300+ PPM sulfur fuels". This was after questioning the validity of the very claim seen here, that we are provided with fuels containing sulfur limits of 300-1000 PPM.

All I can say is that I pointed out that the figures you were citing were referencing sulfur content by percentage of weight. You suggested that I should "do the math" to get the PPM figures. The only problem with your theory is that simply calculating out hundredths of a percent, by weight, does not give you PPM, by volume.

As to your continuing assertion of high gasoline sulfur levels, and that I haven't a clue what I'm speaking of, I'd suggest you get your facts straight before "trying to explain" them to anyone. Spreading falsehoods does nothing to contribute to the knowledge available on this site.

Here is the current Code of Federal Regulations requirements for gasoline sulfur levels... http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/tex....8.48.3&idno=40 as provided by the Government Printing Office. I don't know how you can get a more authoritative source than this, when it comes to what the requirements are. If you've got one, I'm sure we'd all be happy to see it.

You'll notice that the "Refinery or Importer Average" limit is 30 PPM, precisely as I have asserted. The "Per-Gallon Cap" is 80 PPM, as stated by bruno, which allows for potential fuel contamination during transport. These limits have been in effect for more than three years.

So, how does this affect your ongoing statements that 504.00 oils can't deal with the US market's "300+ PPM sulfur fuels"?

Originally Posted By: Saab9-3
Can someone tell me where the 2001 passat v6 fits in the VW oils specs. Does it take a 502 oil ?

Thanks

Yes, your '01 Passat calls for VW 502.00 rated oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back