VW 3.6L FSI Passat CC 2011 Oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All.

I have a 2011 Passat CC 3.6L FSI 4Motion (non 4motion in the USA), and it has ~80k Miles on it currently with a full VW Service History, however it seems that the dealers have used random makes, Castrol, Total etc at different times.

I have come from a VW TDi which had the camshaft wear problems and they wore down at around 150k Miles,

My user manual states VW Oil specification 502.00 (now superseeded by 504.00 apparently) , however i am nervous about using the wrong oil manufacturer / grade / an oil which is going to cause camshaft wear.

I am a hard driver, with frequent high speed runs, the oil temperature on the car shows 100oC average on a motorway journey, higher if pushing it.

Should i go for 5w30 or 5w40 to best protect the engine?
Do i need to worry about clogging up any oil pickup strainers?
Does anybody have a preference on the best brand/ protection i can achieve?
Will the petrol suffer from the same camshaft issues or is that a trait of the VW TDI camshaft material?
I know this engine has internal EGR within the cylinder, and a crankcase breather device which seperates the oil and air to minimize oil being put back into the intake.

I always run the car on 99 RON Super fuel here in the UK to get the 300BHP power rating.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
the camshaft wear issue is for the Pumpe Duse TDI's.

the other camshaft wear issue is on the 2.0T FSI (EA113 based 2.0T's).

the 3.6 V6 doesn't have these issues.

504.00 sort of replaces 502.00, on the fixed OCI.

Other than SAPS, the other difference is the TBN level between 504.00 and 502.00 (504.00 has about 2/3 as much TBN). If you used 504.00, you may need to change the OCI to more frequent intervals.

I would think that engine would accept VW502.
The easiest to get VW 502 oil I can think of is Mobil 1 0w40.

The cams and lifters in a 24V VR6 engine are completely different from those found in a VW PD diesel, so you don't really need to worry about that. It uses roller finger followers with hydraulic lash adjusters. Earlier VW engines used flat cam followers, but usually only the PD Diesel suffered mechanical problems because of the contact patch between the cam lobe and flat follower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back